Should I buy a Tai Pan?

Should I buy a Tai Pan?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have already a Magnum Tanto IX (and a few other knives) in order to protect my home. I'm ready to use them, but at the same time I hope I'll never need them. I know that many members of this forum feel the same way. After all, that's why the thing is called self-defense.

Now... the Cold Steel Tai Pan is so cool. I'd like to have it and I even ordered it (it's the San Mai version).

I want it, but at the same time I don't want it. I don't know if I really want to have such a wicked knife.

I know I may sound a bit (or a lot) stupid, but I'm wondering if I should cancel the Tai Pan order and feel happy with I already have. I know that most people here are very experienced, so I'd like to hear from you (or at least to get your vote in the poll).

The votes will be publicly displayed because I'd like to know the opinion of each one. :thumbsup:

What it comes down to is... You really do want it.
My opinion is... If you get it, you'll only kick yourself once for having spent the money to get it.
But, if you don't get it, you may kick yourself a lot in the coming future about not having gotten it, especially if they discontinue it.
Yup, get it 👍😊👍

for a user im not a fan as I have zero need for a double edge knife this size....but.....

its a personal favorite for a collector knife that I don't use. course i have one. considered adding another while the prices were real low here state side......but I passed since one i have, never gets used only looked at.

Absolutely! I was surprised at its size for the first time( many years ago). I can legally carry it so that helps a lot, although it would be in my collection if only a safe queen. It looks pretty mean but I get more looks from the MT IX/XII and Espada XL. The TiLite 6" Aluminum is pretty stealthy in the pocket, but when you open that blade, yes!!

Although I do not own a Tai Pan, the only thing that would keep me from buying one is... the Kraton(ish) handle material. I do have some Cold Steel, Kizlyar, Kabar, Ontario, and probably some other brand knives with such handle materials, but... their cost to me were each under the $100 mark. Once the price of a knife is over $100, I don't want Kraton(ish) handle materials on my knives.
Just a personal preference 😊

Last edited:
Maybe the best full sized mass produced dagger , ever , IMO . :cool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Perfect balance of stabbing / slashing, pure fighting potential .

Great wicked thrill , just fondling . But definitely not a practical / utility type user knife .

Not socially acceptable , mostly , and maybe not even legal to carry .

Maybe the best full sized mass produced dagger , ever , IMO . :cool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Perfect balance of stabbing / slashing, pure fighting potential .

Great wicked thrill , just fondling . But definitely not a practical / utility type user knife .

Not socially acceptable , mostly , and maybe not even legal to carry .

yep, and its a beautiful knife. except the secure ex sheath...deserves leather......

The Tai Pan is the best factory dagger I have ever come across. It's also one of the few daggers that can actually cut fairly well.

The only problem is the garbage "sheath" it comes with, but there are numerous sources for aftermarket sheaths.

The last Tai Pan I owned was a VG1 San Mai made in Seki Japan. I remember it came with a leather sheath.
Sad to hear they went to that Securex crap when they switched to the VG10 San Mai Taiwan manufacture.

I had several leather sheaths made for me by Harry Savage of Savage Sheaths. Including one for
my VG1 San Mai SRK which came with the Securex sheath.
Apart from custom orders he has standard ones for popular models.
This is for the Tai Pan. You can order with or without stone pocket. $68.50 incl shipping.
YUFhko.jpg

Last edited:
Although I do not own a Tai Pan, the only thing that would keep me from buying one is... the Kraton(ish) handle material. I do have some Cold Steel, Kizlyar, Kabar, Ontario, and probably some other brand knives with such handle materials, but... their cost to me were each under the $100 mark. Once the price of a knife is over $100, I don't want Kraton(ish) handle materials on my knives.
Just a personal preference 😊

Personal preference is fine. But mine differs since I've had plety of Kraton handled knives since the 1980s. And today there are Kraton handled knives in the $500-700 range. If you are a knife "user" it's hard to not appreciate the Kraton handles in terms of ruggedness, imperviousness to water and immense ease of cleaning. Use a stacked leather handled knife during deer season or a fishing trip to see what I mean. But I can appreciate other materials in terms of aesthetics.

The last Tai Pan I owned was a VG1 San Mai made in Seki Japan. I remember it came with a leather sheath.
Sad to hear they went to that Securex crap when they switched to the VG10 San Mai Taiwan manufacture.

I had several leather sheaths made for me by Harry Savage of Savage Sheaths. Including one for
my VG1 San Mai SRK which came with the Securex sheath.
Apart from custom orders he has standard ones for popular models.
This is for the Tai Pan. You can order with or without stone pocket. $68.50 incl shipping.
YUFhko.jpg
That's a damn good price, the originals aren't as nice and go for crazy bucks.

Thank you all for your answers and votes!

It's a privilege to have your help. All answers were really helpful.

I won't reveal my decision (yet) to not break the suspense. 🤣

I've had Harry make me several sheaths, for Cold Steel SRK and Master Hunter, and Fallknivens.
They are good solid high quality leather sheaths at very good prices. And prompt work and shipping.

Thanks for the tip, KenHash. I'd like to have not only this one, but a few sheaths of this quality! However, I must wait a bit, because I'll be paying 200% more (expensive overseas shipping plus heavy taxes).

At very this moment, the priority is to get the few "Old" Steel I can find (and afford). But I've bookmarked the site address already. :thumbsup:

The Tai Pan was the first Cold Steel I ordered after the sale announcement. I wish I had bought one when they were made in Japan with the leather sheaths.
Still the Tai Pan is COOL... no practical uses hahaha but it feels great in the hand and looks great in the collection.

It depends on what you want.

The CS Taipan is probably the best production dagger on the market.

While I don't have one I have a CS Peacemaker and the Tai Pan is something of a cross between the Peacekeeper and Tanto series.

The Taipan would certainly be better than the Fairbairn Sikes and the Gerber MKII, and probably better than the Boker Applegate Fairbairn.

I just saw that TOPS is coming out with a new dagger with a gladius-style blade which might be better and would probably cost less, but would also not be as collectable.

One issue with being the best production dagger is that it would be a weapon that would be illegal to carry in most places and also be mostly impractical. Of course that doesn't matter if it is for a collection.

I was thinking about getting one before the prices shot up last month. Now I'll just wait and see if they go down.

If you are the type to regret not buying one years after they've gone out of production (if they do) then maybe it is better to buy one.

Last edited:
Back