Should i buy it?

ZWILLING PROFESSIONAL S 8" CHEF KNIFE FOR 60$

• YES,BUY ASAP

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • NO,LOOK FOR SOMETHING ELSE

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
Hello everyone,this is my first post around but i've been following for some time.
Have some questions about a knife acquisition.This month Zwilling made a sell on a Professional S 8" Chef knife,50% off.It's a bit under 60$.I really want to buy it.What do you think?Is it worth the price.How is the blade on Pro S?I want to buy a Whetstone Sharpening kit of some sort.Some recommandations lead me to a Sharp Pebble 1000/6000 kit for a begginer in Sharpening Knives.Is it a good match with the knife?

It’s a decent knife for the money.
Also a decent stone, I would suggest adding something in the 400 grit range.

You recommend a 400 grit for eventually chips on the blade or is it better to start sharpening with 400 then 1000 and 6000?

Nice price.

FWIW I prefer the Tojiro DP Gyutou in that price range. My Zwilling sits in a drawer.

Nice price.

FWIW I prefer the Tojiro DP Gyutou in that price range. My Zwilling sits in a drawer.
I'll establish a wider range on knives with time. I want to upgrade from the IKEA Chef Knife i'm currently using.Good X50Cr15Mo Knife for 20$ i paid.
One Japanease that Burrfection recommended in that range was a Yaxwell 8" VG-10 but very hard to get where i'm at for that price.

I'll establish a wider range on knives with time. I want to upgrade from the IKEA Chef Knife i'm currently using.Good X50Cr15Mo Knife for 20$ i paid.
One Japanease that Burrfection recommended in that range was a Yaxwell 8" VG-10 but very hard to get where i'm at for that price.

That looks like potentially a better fit and finish than the Tojiro

I actually found an importer of Tojiro Knives. Tojiro DP 210mm for 80$. But now back on the thread Should i buy the Zwilling Pro S for 57$ and in the future maybe consider going to a Japanease?

I have all three chefs knives: Tojiro DP, Zwilling Pro, and Shun Classic. Tojiro and Shun are better for me than Zwilling. Zwilling has too much belly, which might be better for those who prefer rocking. The blade on it is more flexing/thinner than the other two, which I don't like. Shun and Tojiro seem to hold a keen edge longer than Zwilling.

With that being said, the price for the Zwilling in the OP is very good. You won't find such a price for Shun or Tojiro.

I have all three chefs knives: Tojiro DP, Zwilling Pro, and Shun Classic. Tojiro and Shun are better for me than Zwilling. Zwilling has too much belly, which might be better for those who prefer rocking. The blade on it is more flexing/thinner than the other two, which I don't like. Shun and Tojiro seem to hold a keen edge longer than Zwilling.

With that being said, the price for the Zwilling in the OP is very good. You won't find such a price for Shun or Tojiro.
That is to be expected in comparison of those 3 knives Tojiro uses a VG-10,Shun VG-MAX which is build on the VG-10 formula.Zwilling's Friodur is known to be lower on Rockwell scale than those 2.In fact i am more into the rocking motion but it depends on what im cutting.

So....Should i go with the Pro S at 57 USD 50% OFF or invest more in other one? I really wish knives would be more reachable here or at least Amazon being able to send to Romania(knives are currently not being sent to here).

So....Should i go with the Pro S at 57 USD 50% OFF or invest more in other one? I really wish knives would be more reachable here or at least Amazon being able to send to Romania(knives are currently not being sent to here).

It is a very good price so I say do it!

t
It is a very good price so I say do it!
Thank you.Another thing that i considered while searching: Someone said Sharpening at the grits the Sharp Pebble will not hold it's edge retention very well.I quote:"If you want to enjoy at least some edge retention sharpen at 400 and strop and deburr very lightly at 800 or so".How can i assure that i get the most edge retention on it?

It's a very good price for the Pro S. Though, I would still take the Tojiro for a few bucks more. Especially if you plan on using the knife for any length of time. Henckels are bricks.

t

Thank you.Another thing that i considered while searching: Someone said Sharpening at the grits the Sharp Pebble will not hold it's edge retention very well.I quote:"If you want to enjoy at least some edge retention sharpen at 400 and strop and deburr very lightly at 800 or so".How can i assure that i get the most edge retention on it?

Don't know what that person's suggestion is based on but in my experience, ending at 400 grit is too early for kitchen knives. For me, it needs to be at least 1000 grit and for some I even go to 8000 grit, followed by stropping.

Don't know what that person's suggestion is based on but in my experience, ending at 400 grit is too early for kitchen knives. For me, it needs to be at least 1000 grit and for some I even go to 8000 grit, followed by stropping.
That is also my first thought.I mean i know that a 8000 Sharpened knife can't hold that level for very long.Especially if the HRC is not over 60 at least.Am i right?But recommending sharpening at 400 messed my mind.

How long between sharpenings should i expect from the Zwilling Pro S?How's the edge retention?3-4 days?Maybe a week when the use is less?

How long between sharpenings should i expect from the Zwilling Pro S?How's the edge retention?3-4 days?Maybe a week when the use is less?

Until it gets dull.;)
The edge retention on any knife depends on the use. If the edge hits the cutting board hard, it will dull faster. I've seen people slam an edge on a board when it gets close to the end of the cut. They use the same pressure throughout the cut. If you ease up toward the end, your edge will last longer.
Personally, I like to make a couple of swipes on a ceramic rod and strop before each use. IMO, it provides consistency and prevents me from using unnecessary pressure while cutting.

Until it gets dull.;)
The edge retention on any knife depends on the use. If the edge hits the cutting board hard, it will dull faster. I've seen people slam an edge on a board when it gets close to the end of the cut. They use the same pressure throughout the cut. If you ease up toward the end, your edge will last longer.
Personally, I like to make a couple of swipes on a ceramic rod and strop before each use. IMO, it provides consistency and prevents me from using unnecessary pressure while cutting.
Until it gets dull.;)
Of course,my question was a bit unclear.But do i have to care to let's say some Rockwell tests i saw at Burrfection(something in his videos that soothes me watching).Trying to learn so much about knives that i'll probably never touch,like a Masamoto KS is messing with my mind right now.Those grade of hardness blows my mind.
I'm deviating from main subject but its good talk i think since is my first thread.
Anyway a Zwilling Pro S is an upgrade from my current one and maybe in the near future i'll look at some Japanease knives also.

Ajack60 Ajack60 nailed it. How often you need to sharpen a chefs knife depends on how often you use, what you cut, on what kind of cutting board, and how you cut. Generally speaking, chopping will dull the edge more quickly than rocking motion, veggies are more friendly to the edge than meat which in turn than squash, and you'll need to sharpen in the middle if cutting on your granite countertop;)

I cook almost daily for my family for which I lightly sharpen (i.e., not reprofie the edge nor go through all the stones) my Shun chefs knife once in 1-2 months but strop it in every 2-3 days. The knife is strictly used for veggies and meat without any bones.

s
Ajack60 Ajack60 nailed it. How often you need to sharpen a chefs knife depends on how often you use, what you cut, on what kind of cutting board, and how you cut. Generally speaking, chopping will dull the edge more quickly than rocking motion, veggies are more friendly to the edge than meat which in turn than squash, and you'll need to sharpen in the middle if cutting on your granite countertop;)

I cook almost daily for my family for which I lightly sharpen (i.e., not reprofie the edge nor go through all the stones) my Shun chefs knife once in 1-2 months but strop it in every 2-3 days. The knife is strictly used for veggies and meat without any bones.
Sounds really good,the interval of sharpening.What steel are the Shun's made of?VG-MAX?
I don't expect those intervals between sharpening with the Pro S as is less hard but i hope it'll be better than the IKEA's X50CrMoV15 i use.Things will change with the aquisition of the whetstones.

Back