Should i buy it?

ZWILLING PROFESSIONAL S 8" CHEF KNIFE FOR 60$

• YES,BUY ASAP

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • NO,LOOK FOR SOMETHING ELSE

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
I'll establish a wider range on knives with time. I want to upgrade from the IKEA Chef Knife i'm currently using.Good X50Cr15Mo Knife for 20$ i paid.
One Japanease that Burrfection recommended in that range was a Yaxwell 8" VG-10 but very hard to get where i'm at for that price.

I realllly like Yaxell. Really like. Do like.

The Japanese quality kitchen knives are all run at high hardness. The European ones are much softer. This is more of a philosophical decision than a quality one, though. The European ones are meant to be touched up with some regularity with a normal sharpening steel.

We use Victorinox Fibrox (Swiss Army Knife manufacturer) kitchen knives and are very happy. They are much more reasonably priced and commercial grade.

T
We use Victorinox Fibrox (Swiss Army Knife manufacturer) kitchen knives and are very happy. They are much more reasonably priced and commercial grade.

This one is truly a workhorse in many pro kitchens.At that price it is one of the best in his class.

t

Thank you.Another thing that i considered while searching: Someone said Sharpening at the grits the Sharp Pebble will not hold it's edge retention very well.I quote:"If you want to enjoy at least some edge retention sharpen at 400 and strop and deburr very lightly at 800 or so".How can i assure that i get the most edge retention on it?
Ignore whoever said that. Most kitchen knives are very acute and have think blade stocks that hardly ever need to be reprofiled. You can maintain a fine edge on a kitchen knife for a very long time with minimal sharpening passes on 800/1000 grit stones just fine. 400 grit would be for a big reprofile job but so long as you ain't hacking away at frozen meat your fine. I also am a huge proponent of Dexter-Russell's Chinese chef knife which looks like a cleaver. It's an all in one scoop/chef knife in one package.

Ignore whoever said that. Most kitchen knives are very acute and have think blade stocks that hardly ever need to be reprofiled. You can maintain a fine edge on a kitchen knife for a very long time with minimal sharpening passes on 800/1000 grit stones just fine. 400 grit would be for a big reprofile job but so long as you ain't hacking away at frozen meat your fine. I also am a huge proponent of Dexter-Russell's Chinese chef knife which looks like a cleaver. It's an all in one scoop/chef knife in one package.
8030_Drop_Shadow__24658.1456503318.1280.1280.png

Something like this?Looks like a Japanease Nakiri.I'll want to try a good Santoku or Nakiri in the future.

8030_Drop_Shadow__24658.1456503318.1280.1280.png

Something like this?Looks like a Japanease Nakiri.I'll want to try a good Santoku or Nakiri in the future.

I have that knife and did a quick review of it here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/dexter-russell-vegetable-cleaver-chinese-chefs-knife.1615437/

Since posting that review, I've done a thinning of the edge and laid the bevel back just a bit. As I say in the review, I got it as an experiment with the full intention of "upgrading" to another offering if I liked the design. Well, my much more expensive (and awesome by the way) Yaxell finds itself gathering a lot of dust these days.

I use that Dexter Russell like crazy. It was a little odd at first but now I freaking love it. Yeah, it's a little soft but I don't mind at all. Price isn't always an indicator of performance. The fit and finish on the knife is abysmal compared to my Yaxells, Wusthoff, etc. but it doesn't affect how it works one bit.

In no way am I knocking higher priced knives. I'm not. I'm just saying price doesn't always measure performance.

Also, I personally don't think there's a thing wrong with a kitchen knife in the 400 grit range. Properly apexed, it'll slice quite keenly and still retain a hint of coarseness which can be very nice in the kitchen. What edge you like on your knife needs to be determined by you and regardless of what anyone says, there is no right or wrong answer here. Some edge finishes are better suited for some tasks but by no means should a somewhat courser edge be unilaterally dismissed for a home cook.

As I've said before, Stan Wilson is living legend and he sharpens his kitchen knife on a 240 grit belt sander.

Last edited:
I have that knife and did a quick review of it here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/dexter-russell-vegetable-cleaver-chinese-chefs-knife.1615437/

Since posting that review, I've done a thinning of the edge and laid the bevel back just a bit. As I say in the review, I got it as an experiment with the full intention of "upgrading" to another offering if I liked the design. Well, my much more expensive (and awesome by the way) Yaxell finds itself gathering a lot of dust these days.

I use that Dexter Russell like crazy. It was a little odd at first but now I freaking love it. Yeah, it's a little soft but I don't mind at all. Price isn't always an indicator of performance. The fit and finish on the knife is abysmal compared to my Yaxells, Wusthoff, etc. but it doesn't affect how it works one bit.

In no way am I knocking higher priced knives. I'm not. I'm just saying price doesn't always measure performance.

Also, I personally don't think there's a thing wrong with a kitchen knife in the 400 grit range. Properly apexed, it'll slice quite keenly and still retaining a hint of coarseness which can be very nice in the kitchen. What edge you like on your knife needs to be determined by you and regardless of what anyone says, there is no right or wrong answer here. Some edge finishes are better suited for some tasks but by no means should a somewhat courser edge be unilaterally dismissed for a home cook.

As I've said before, Stan Wilson is living legend and he sharpens his kitchen knife on a 240 grit belt sander.

This!!!!! Although I prefer the wider one. I got into high priced chef knives for quite a while tried all the brands! Realized that I just love my Dexter Russell over all of them. The front half of the blade has been thinned out for fine slicing while the back is thicker for fast chopping of vegetables. This is a design of the Chinese chef knife and not an accident. I generally use this thing for everything and I've literally had the same one for over 20 years now. They last and last!

I also have some fairly expensive kitchen knives and love using them :) I do, however, admit to getting a real kick out of the performance of my Dexter Russell 8" sani-safe (for all of $25). :cool: To the OP, I say, pay less (for a knife as useful IMO) or more for a high quality knife to use AND be proud of (e.g. Ken Onion Shun DMO500). The middle is, well, the middle=mediocre again IMO. ;)

Last edited:
Interesting thought,i found true that you mostly get what you pay for.But yes,so many saying good things about that Dexter Russell Chinese Knife will make me think more into these types.
On the other hand I'm so in the beginning of my Chef Career.An inspiring Chef that currently wants to know everything about everything in kitchen and gastronomic subject.
Currently my Top Question: Is 57$ Zwilling Pro S worth it stands at 6-3 FOR BUYING and i still want to go for it as a second decent chef knife purchase(considering Ikea x50CrMoV15 decent).Reading all those comments makes me spend all my money on knives atm.Hope Zwilling will not make me regret it.

the pro s normally goes for $130 so you have a good deal as well.

Is 57$ Zwilling Pro S worth it
Assuming the purchase is new, from a reputable dealer, definitely yes, it is well worth it. :thumbsup: I'm just not sure where you want to start as an "aspiring" chef. ;) Sounds to me as if you want it, so, if the preceding is correct, go for it and enjoy. :D You have the gift (sometimes not so much :() of youth. Lord willing you have many years ahead of you to find your "knives" for your chosen profession. THAT is part of the fun. :cool:

While a classic chef knife is a must these Chinese chef knives are nothing to sneeze at although they won't be with you during culinary school.

I've had this guy for the last 20 years it's my number 1 kitchen knife and I don't take care of it whatsoever. I love it!

C5E643E.jpg

It allows me to make stuff like this blistered shishito peppers
NGEC12X.jpg

Knives are very subjective especially kitchen knives. I would invest in a sharpening setup your comfortable with and will use to maintain your knives as a priority.

Reason being a budget knife that is maintained to a high level of sharpness is superior to a dull high end knife. For example I have a budget set of Kai Luna knives in 1.4116 steel, nothing fancy but it works and has good blade geometry. I pull out my Sharpmaker and touch all the knives up once every week or two weeks so at any given point you can grab any and slice phone book paper if you want.

To me that is the sign of a good knife, if it can perform it's duty and do it well.

For sharpening I'm a fan of crock sticks for kitchen knives. So that will include Sharpmaker, Lansky turn box, and AG Russell has some too. And remember you can get angle guides for sharpening stones and sharpening rods/steels to help maintain the proper angle while sharpening since consistency is key.

Back