Should I wait!? Spyderco steels?

Should I just pony up on the Manix 2 M390?

• Total voters
Really kicking myself 4 days ago I almost pulled the trigger on a Manix 2 m390 from blade hq for $135... the next day I decided to.. guess what ? Out of stock... I didn’t realize it was a sprint run.

However now I want one badly, the best deals are around $200 and go up from there on eBay. I haven’t followed spyderco close enough to know if they re release sprint runs? If I should just wait another 6 months to a year and they will have yet another latest and greatest steel. Yes I know about maxamet and Rex-45, I like something that doesn’t kill you sharpening but will hold an edge, but also not something that will sharpen too easy as well as loosing an edge to easy 440’s, s30v’s cmp 154’s ect .. More like cv20, m390, Cts-Xhp, Elmax, cru wear,, m4( yes I know I bit hard for this category but I love). Anyway based on this info and what spyderco usually does and how they do it better I jump on one on eBay? Or wait for the right moment and lurch? No I don’t need I knife now I have plenty. The Manix 2 in m390 just seems so balanced for a single knife in that steel it can do a lot. Stainless CHECK, carry knife CHECK, not necessarily a survival knife but one I wouldn’t mind being stuck with CHECK ( I carry a hatchet too so not worried about chopping), can resharpen in the field CHECK. So idk just seems like a lot to spend but I’m also comparing to what I missed. All in all prob a fair price for a knife if it’s caliber or I’m trying to talk myself into it ;))).?

Thanks for any advice, input or rumors I don’t know about how spyderco operates in releases

I've got a manix 2 in m390 and haven't seen another release with that steel but its possible they will again with different scales...don't recall seeing a manix 2 in the reveal 5....personally i'd get it while I could

I have a couple Manix 2 LW's. I use the basic BD1 version all the time and it serves me very well. A little stropping keeps it going for some time.

This--don't get hung up on the steel, at least not for use. I use two Manix 2 LWs, one in S90V and one in BD1. I never notice what steel either has, the amount of cutting you need to do to notice any difference in wear resistance is huge, and even then once you learn how you can sharpen anything in thirty seconds with a coffee cup if you just want it sharp and aren't worried about polishing the edge until you can see your reflection.

The reason I carry the S90V one more than the BD1 version has nothing to do with the steel--it's the handle. I like the day-glo orange handle on my S90V version better than the boring black handle on my BD1 version.

If it's for some kind of collectible purpose, by all means go after whatever sprint you're hunting. If it's for actual use don't worry about the blade steel, it really doesn't matter much.

There is always going to be a better super steel in the pipe. If you miss one what's coming next is better.

I found Spyderco's S30V is really good and pretty sure it will do just fine.

Whereas I like m390 very much, and I would really like to get either a PM2 or a para3 DLT exclusive with M390 and red G10... I have kinda hold back so far

ibased on my experience and in some reviewer I think Spyderco doesn’t make the best use of m390

at some point I may « create « my own version with a more basic steel and put some red g10 custom scales on it ;)

Here's the Catch 22, as soon as you decide to accept the secondary price gouging, someone will post one for sell for a reasonable price.
The pattern I've seen lately is that the sprint runs get bought up quickly. Once they start arriving to everyone, there will be one or two listed above retail. People will scoop them up without regard to understand that's what is setting the secondary market price. I guess the urge to have one is greater than common sense. You'll start to see more for sell around the same price, because if someone else got that stupidly high price then there are more foolish people willing to follow suit. You might even see several listed on the same day. Eventually when the foolish people stop buying, the prices will go down that may be acceptable to get one.
If you're going to use the knife and enjoy it, you're the only one that can justify the price.

I always wait for the price drop. People call me cheap. That pleases me. So, do what pleases you.

This--don't get hung up on the steel, at least not for use. I use two Manix 2 LWs, one in S90V and one in BD1. I never notice what steel either has, the amount of cutting you need to do to notice any difference in wear resistance is huge, and even then once you learn how you can sharpen anything in thirty seconds with a coffee cup if you just want it sharp and aren't worried about polishing the edge until you can see your reflection.

The reason I carry the S90V one more than the BD1 version has nothing to do with the steel--it's the handle. I like the day-glo orange handle on my S90V version better than the boring black handle on my BD1 version.

If it's for some kind of collectible purpose, by all means go after whatever sprint you're hunting. If it's for actual use don't worry about the blade steel, it really doesn't matter much.

I also have the CS version in S90V and I also love that orange! :)

Since when did 154cm & s30v become so poorly regarded? These may not be the latest and greatest in the steel world, but there is reason companies like Spyderco and Benchmade have used these steels for so long in their regular lineups. Honestly, most people who buy these sprint run Manix2's and PM2's already have the base s30v model and love it.
On the Benchmade Griptillian, people weren't complaining about the steel, they hated the plastic-y feel of the handles . When they switched from 154cm to s30v everyone flocked to pick up the older model because the price was reduced. Still complain about those FRN handles though.

Since when did 154cm & s30v become so poorly regarded? These may not be the latest and greatest in the steel world, but there is reason companies like Spyderco and Benchmade have used these steels for so long in their regular lineups. Honestly, most people who buy these sprint run Manix2's and PM2's already have the base s30v model and love it.
On the Benchmade Griptillian, people weren't complaining about the steel, they hated the plastic-y feel of the handles . When they switched from 154cm to s30v everyone flocked to pick up the older model because the price was reduced. Still complain about those FRN handles though.
They were played out about a week after they came out when folks heard about new steels coming soon.

Hey drebs,
dlttrading have the Manix 2 CPM-20CV Red G-10 going up for sale on May 19. With 20CV essentially being Crucibles version of M390 and if you are ok with red g10 handles this would be a good way to go. Price is $140.

https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-manix-2-red-g-10-20cv

Yes! Even better I know there’s not a difference I could ever tell but I’m a Crucible fan boy it just makes me fuzzy inside .. thanks for that!!! Got alerts set up.

Nothing wrong with s30v or cmp-154 great steels, already have them, also cannot stand the Frn handles. I just don’t like steels that roll on you, don’t like steels that chip on you that’s why I’m looking for what I’m looking for. Can it roll? Yes, can is chip? Yes but for what I’m using it for should be a great balance. Also I like to sharpen less and I don’t mind spend a little more time when I do and doing so less.

yes I know how quick it is to touch them up on a sharpmaker ... I’m lazy what can I say I have so many things going on every day, and obligations, I’d rather find the time than have a softer steel constantly touching up

Back