• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Should It Stay or Should It Go?

I got a brand new Case Sod Buster Jr today and there’s a hairline crack below one of the brass pins. Is this something I should be worried about getting bigger or should I just ignore it? I bought it from DLT Trading so I should be able to exchange it for another one, but that means another week or two to get a new one. Is this no big deal or is it a definite return? There’s already a slight patina on the blade from slicing a banana before I noticed the crack. What would you do? I’m cool with keeping it if the crack doesn’t pose a threat. I’m brand new to collecting knives, so I don’t know what is acceptable and not acceptable. Here are some pics of the crack:

vkWqc47.jpg

GAHPxLT.jpg

It's probably going to bug you, if it were me I'd send it back, the dealer can get an RMA from case for a refund or credit, so no loss to them. Also sending it back to them will eventually get the knife back to Case, and if they have enough of them returned, maybe they will try to rectify why this is occurring. Or it could just be an odd pin crack, which can happen with delrin handles.

DLT Trading has kind of a crappy return policy. I have to pay for shipping myself even though the item is defective, and there is a 5 day hold. Plus they want it in “100% unused” condition. I sliced a banana with it before i noticed the crack and it has a little bit of patina on it already. Also, I am completely broke till the 15th and can’t pay for shipping. (My fault for running myself out of money. That’s why I have a fiduciary).

Anyway, I think I’d just better keep it. If the crack gets bigger I can send it to Case. It doesn’t bother me that much.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I'd consider that a (minor) cosmetic issue, since it doesn't affect functionality.
When you're using the knife, you won't feel it or see it. Chances are none of your co-workers will see or notice it either, even if working right next to you.
It is unlikely to get bigger.
You can always work a drop of super glue into the crack, if it really bugs you.

DLT Trading has kind of a crappy return policy. I have to pay for shipping myself even though the item is defective, and there is a 5 day hold. Plus they want it in “100% unused” condition. I sliced a banana with it before i noticed the crack and it has a little bit of patina on it already. Also, I am completely broke till the 15th and can’t pay for shipping. (My fault for running myself out of money. That’s why I have a fiduciary).

Anyway, I think I’d just better keep it. If the crack gets bigger I can send it to Case. It doesn’t bother me that much.
Probably best. :thumbsup:

I got a brand new Case Sod Buster Jr today and there’s a hairline crack below one of the brass pins. Is this something I should be worried about getting bigger or should I just ignore it? I bought it from DLT Trading so I should be able to exchange it for another one, but that means another week or two to get a new one. Is this no big deal or is it a definite return? There’s already a slight patina on the blade from slicing a banana before I noticed the crack. What would you do? I’m cool with keeping it if the crack doesn’t pose a threat. I’m brand new to collecting knives, so I don’t know what is acceptable and not acceptable. Here are some pics of the crack: if there were no crack would you have posted this? i believe you do know what is or is not acceptable, i have read several of your posts and they all have the same theme, is this some thing i should be worried about, how about you decide and tell us

vkWqc47.jpg

GAHPxLT.jpg

I would say keep it because it sounds like returning it would be a hassle for you. However you should not buy Case knives, this isn't the first time their quality control failed. If you want to buy American buy GEC. If you want to buy "good enough" buy rough rider or some other cheapie.

if there were no crack would you have posted this? i believe you do know what is or is not acceptable, i have read several of your posts and they all have the same theme, is this some thing i should be worried about, how about you decide and tell us

I’d ignore the little crack and use the dickens out of it just to see if it can take it. If it holds up there ain’t no problem and as good a war story as any, if the crack starts to grow and come apart then find a good knife re-handler and put some nice Osage orange on it. I’d be tempted to make it crack more just as an excuse. Lol that’s if it holds an edge and makes a good knife.

I've read quite a few reports online that delrin frequently develops small cracks at the center pin... where a lot of the stress is. Personally, on a +/- $30 knife, I wouldn't worry about it at all. But then, I'm not terribly anal about my knives. If it was bad, and the scale was loosening because of it, I would be more concerned, but these are working knives and this just adds "character" in my opinion. You mentioned that it doesn't bother you much, so, I would say that is your answer.
Case makes good knives... even GEC knives occasionally have hairline cracks in them.
Besides, you've already got your patina going on it... you seemingly bought it to use... I'd use it. :thumbsup::cool:

Yellow D on CASE & RR is prone to centre pin cracking. (NOT found it on my Buck Yellows mind)

If it develops after a while, nothing you can do. Unlike Bone, Delrin is unlikely to drop off chunks after pin cracking.

On a newly delivered knife it should not happen and should be returned. But if you're too broke to pay return postage & can't polish minor patina from it, then you're stuck with it.

Back