• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Should It Stay or Should It Go?

I'd send it back for an exchange.
That's an obvious defect on a brand new knife.
Yes, it's only cosmetic at this point, but not acceptable on a new purchase.

Just wanted the quote in your signature is now my new life plan.

Thats one of the reasons I don't look for older yellow delrin Case knives - pin cracks are common. On a new knife, unacceptable - def would be in the mailbox going back same day as received for me

I just had this happen on a Rough Rider with yellow delrin. I just dont worry about it. Just super glue it.

I would say keep it because it sounds like returning it would be a hassle for you. However you should not buy Case knives, this isn't the first time their quality control failed. If you want to buy American buy GEC. If you want to buy "good enough" buy rough rider or some other cheapie.

Case hater right? Product defects are not always a QC problem. It’s a $30 knife, stuff happens.

Per OP, if you like it, keep it. Odds are the crack will never effect its usefulness as a knife.

Case hater right? Product defects are not always a QC problem. It’s a $30 knife, stuff happens.

Per OP, if you like it, keep it. Odds are the crack will never effect its usefulness as a knife.
I've only had junk from Case, I realize they are capable of making good knives, but they ship out a ton of unacceptable IMO knives. If I'm paying a premium to buy American, I want a premium product. Obviously this is just my opinion- OP asked for opinions.

Sorry to hear DLT treats customers that way. Another vendor goes on the naughty list. Assuming the crack was there when they mailed it, they are as culpable as Case. It will never affect the use of the knife, so don't worry about that. Take solace in knowing you outed a manufacturer and seller to the benefit of the porch.

From your picture, it looks to me like the edges of the scales have been extra-rounded compared to my Sodbuster Jr. This actually speaks to more work and time spent on it. Mine had minimal rounding on the edges which made it less comfortable than it could have been (until I rounded the edges myself). On yours, it looks like they might have ground the Delrin a little thin at that location. I agree with previous replies: keep it; if the crack worries you, just drop some superglue on it.

it should go back.

One of of the reasons for Cass, I prefer buying ones I have clear pics of, or can handle.

Sorry to hear DLT treats customers that way. Another vendor goes on the naughty list. Assuming the crack was there when they mailed it, they are as culpable as Case. It will never affect the use of the knife, so don't worry about that. Take solace in knowing you outed a manufacturer and seller to the benefit of the porch.

I have a great deal of respect for your posts but I'm afraid you've got the wrong idea on this one.

You should give DLT a try. They are among the best Bladeforum supporting dealers and among the best dealers on the internet. You'll hear that from virtually anybody that's dealt with them. Write them off if you will but if you do, you're missing out on one of the best dealers around.:)

I've run into this too.
Bought a few Rough Ryder knives from the owner/dealer of the brand.
The knives were absolutely horrible and they ignored my emails... until I left a bad review.
The knives ended up in the garbage where they belong and I make it a point to spread the word.

I have a great deal of respect for your posts but I'm afraid you've got the wrong idea on this one.

You should give DLT a try. They are among the best Bladeforum supporting dealers and among the best dealers on the internet. You'll hear that from virtually anybody that's dealt with them. Write them off if you will but if you do, you're missing out on one of the best dealers around.:)

If OP is correct about DLT's return policy requiring the buyer to foot the return shipping costs on a defective piece, I'd have to pass on giving them a try. Why should a customer have to pay extra to return a defective item. It's not a fair or reasonable return policy.

I would call DLT, explain the situation, and see if they will give you a break on the return shipping. A new knife without a crack in the handle is definitely more preferable.

From the picture in the first post, it appears as if the knife has seen a bit of use. Could you post some opened pictures? Ribbonz Ribbonz

Last edited:
It looks like the spring and liners on the back have a fair amount of patina and tarnish on them, more than maybe just slicing a banana. Weird...

Back