Shoulder Straps

Hey fellas,

I've been trying to fool with a shoulder strap (dundee rig) sheath... Primarily for big chopper type blades (like a Busse Battle Mistress for ex).

HOW in the world do you guys determine balance when building one? I've tried quite a few different attachment points, but so far none of them feel just right ---- except the inverted carry. But at that point I don't think a single snal retention strap is the best for a big heavy knife inverted (thinking of running through the woods, bumping limbs and the like, chasing game, etc... DON'T LAUGH TOO HARD :D)

I know how to make the length adjustable and all that --- but how do you know where and how to attack the strap? I want it to ride straight up and down (vertically, or at least mostly so) on my back or front, not "flopping over" or wanting to ride horizontally.

Any thoughts or advice from the experts???

Working on this myself, as time allows....

will post the results here !

With longer knives like the AK I found that a second strap mid way along the handle made a world of difference, like this....
AKblack.jpg

here it is from the back...
AKblack2.jpg

Ther weight of the handle over the mounting point is what makes the rig uncomfotable, yea I finally figured this out recently. The handle wants to tip down and makes the rig pull all kinds of wrong. You want to balance it at the angle of the hang on your back, and that means attaching things to the back of a sheath till it hangs right. These rigs arent as easy as they look.

oh yea..... "The angle of the dangle is .............." uh is this appropriate? :p

Thanks Dwayne, that makes sense. I'll need to make some adjustments...

Looking forward to your thoughts/pics DavidE...

Back