Show Me Your Grinding Room! - (Please!) :)

Hey yall, I'm going to be moving to a new shop soon... and I'm going to have the space to frame up a plastic enclosed "grinding room." I'd love to hear and see how some of yall did yours! Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated.

This is what I'm looking for:

- Sweet Pictures of your Grinding Room if you have one!
- What tools you have in or think should be in your grinding room? (grinder, buffer, drill press?, welder?, just wondering yall's thoughts on this one)
- Is it worth cutting a hole in the wall for an exhaust fan? or try an internal air filter?
- Any suggestions welcome!

Cheers guys, hope yall are having a kick a** weekend!
RBO

My grinding/buffing room is big with all kinds of exhaust fans:

VM2VSYu.jpg

Not very temp controlled though:

5Pbr65N.jpg

Lousy view:

WtFoDCH.jpg

my two cents after having plastic curtain enclosed separate rooms for the grinder, and the buffer- the buffing room is much more dusty, everything is covered with that layer of floating settling dust. whereas the grinding rooms dirt is mostly on the floor and the grinding machine room table.

Weird timing, I was just watching your shop tour video on YT, because mine shares the space with a home gym too and I was looking for ideas. I put my grinder on a bench with casters and just point it out the garage door when I grind. Then clean up whatever gets inside with a leaf blower when I'm done. I wish I could have a dedicated grinding room though. Can't wait to see what you end up doing with the new place! You gonna have the gym separate this time? Also, how do you like your Titan monolift arms? Thinking about fabbing up my own, but if Titan's are good enough I'll probably just save myself the hassle and snag theirs since they're so cheap.

Weird timing, I was just watching your shop tour video on YT, because mine shares the space with a home gym too and I was looking for ideas. I put my grinder on a bench with casters and just point it out the garage door when I grind. Then clean up whatever gets inside with a leaf blower when I'm done. I wish I could have a dedicated grinding room though. Can't wait to see what you end up doing with the new place! You gonna have the gym separate this time? Also, how do you like your Titan monolift arms? Thinking about fabbing up my own, but if Titan's are good enough I'll probably just save myself the hassle and snag theirs since they're so cheap.

Yeah, I'll have a bunch of organization to do... I'd love to get a grinding room set up with some ventilation to keep the rest of my shop clean!

And, yes, those do work pretty well from Titan.

Cheers

Nice shop, Joe ... but clearly all photoshopped. There is no dirt, clutter, knives laying on the floor, belts draped over other machines, bloodstains on the counters ... nothing to show it is a real working knife shop. :D

I get a kick out of some woodworking shows that have polished floors, perfectly arranged tools and jigs on the walls, and sparkling clean equipment. A whole cleaning crew must get the shop ready for every filming.

Nice shop, Joe ... but clearly all photoshopped. There is no dirt, clutter, knives laying on the floor, belts draped over other machines, bloodstains on the counters ... nothing to show it is a real working knife shop. :D

I get a kick out of some woodworking shows that have polished floors, perfectly arranged tools and jigs on the walls, and sparkling clean equipment. A whole cleaning crew must get the shop ready for every filming.

My work table is covered in cuts, scratches, and drips of dried epoxy. My blood stains usually end up on the floor though.

Cleanliness is next to Godliness! :) My shop shares a space with my home gym, so I keep it clean out of necessity. You'd be surprised how well a leaf blower works to keep the dust and cobwebs out though!

I built a little 8x9' room in my two car garage. Works great for containing the majority of the dust. Although I'm running out of room fast!

Attachments

• 6e8SDwK.jpg
    6e8SDwK.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 38
  • NImXMhc.jpg
    NImXMhc.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Shl8dxY.jpg
    Shl8dxY.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 39
just getting started out, but this is where things are at for me. In addition to the canister air filter hanging above the portaband, there's a 20" box fan on the other side of the pegboard with a furnace filter between. The little shopvac under the grinding horse can be set up to rest below the platen to provide extra suck. It looks like a shower, but every time I get out of there, I'm filthy
KpXCmK5.jpg

XxjDXkr.jpg

I built a little 8x9' room in my two car garage. Works great for containing the majority of the dust. Although I'm running out of room fast!

Man that's excellent!

just getting started out, but this is where things are at for me. In addition to the canister air filter hanging above the portaband, there's a 20" box fan on the other side of the pegboard with a furnace filter between. The little shopvac under the grinding horse can be set up to rest below the platen to provide extra suck. It looks like a shower, but every time I get out of there, I'm filthy

Nice! I bet that curtain really helps keep the dust down.

-------------

Two of the 4 walls of my future grinding room are currently finished out sheet rock. I was thinking about hanging up some hardi board at the height of the grinder(s) to act as a spark shield. Yall think this is a good idea?

Man that's excellent!

Nice! I bet that curtain really helps keep the dust down.

-------------

Two of the 4 walls of my future grinding room are currently finished out sheet rock. I was thinking about hanging up some hardi board at the height of the grinder(s) to act as a spark shield. Yall think this is a good idea?
diamond plate!

Now that sounds expensive! I was thinking maybe some flashing.
well, if you aim for the stars...!

forget it, there's no leaving the atmosphere with anything any of us can aim

amazon has stick on vinyl with diamond plate or carbon fiber pattern, so there ya go. Or you can just expose yourself to random strangers, as you propose.

Back