Show me your modded Mora

So, one of the funnest things about affordable knives, hawks and other such bladed things is that you can mod and experiment with them pretty worry free.

I saw Mora classic 2 in hardware store, and I could not pass the knife for 15eur. It comes with adequate plastic sheath but kind of leaves to be desired if you want that "great outdoors" feel to it. :rolleyes:

So what I did with it, I took the red paint off and made leather sheath for it (with neck hanger).

RWHfFIC.jpg

PdYKN2o.jpg

Bit crude job but I love it (and I have to say, looks better live). Personal touch to it now! :thumbup:

I am sure lot of you have made these, it would be interesting to see them in this thread!

No real mods other than how I secure the sheath to knife with para cord, and I'm tired of posting that up. One delightful epiphany occurred yesterday though. I had an old Combat Master short sheath laying around, so I shoved a H.D. Companion in it. I had modified the liner a ways back and the little Mora snugs up nicely in it. I was amazed at how feather weight the unit was after packing an ESEE 4 in it. I think that I will dedicate this sheath to my Mora's now.

Thanks guys, and Leghog, really liking that sheath! :thumbup:

Some very simple mods shifts them in to much more usable

The handles of the Classic #2 and #2/0 are too thick to fit into the plastic handles so they are not secure
Very simply scrape down the thickness of the handle till they a very snug in the plastic sheath
A little bit of bees-wax to treat the wood

The SS Scout same blade size as the # 1/0 comes with a double guard
Great for kids
Off came the top guard with pliers and a file to smooth it out
It is my backpacking knife

The gap between the blade and handle on hidden tang knives has always bothered me. An easy entrance for bacteria and rust. Being bored one night, I took the handles off these guys, and sure enough, the tang was pretty rusty and the hollow handle filled with all kinds of junk.

I sanded and stained the handles, and finished with some polyurethane. Then I cleaned them out, used a belt sander and file to remove all the rust from the tang, then completely filled the handle with epoxy and put it all back together. I like the new look, and have no worries about what's going on inside the handle any more.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q203/sodak_photos/inventory/P1000796_zpsgfdwnwci.jpg

Sodak
I drip super glue down the ferrule to seal the tang
then a small dab of epoxy to seal the opening between the ferrule and the blade

The gap between the blade and handle on hidden tang knives has always bothered me. An easy entrance for bacteria and rust. Being bored one night, I took the handles off these guys, and sure enough, the tang was pretty rusty and the hollow handle filled with all kinds of junk.

I sanded and stained the handles, and finished with some polyurethane. Then I cleaned them out, used a belt sander and file to remove all the rust from the tang, then completely filled the handle with epoxy and put it all back together. I like the new look, and have no worries about what's going on inside the handle any more.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q203/sodak_photos/inventory/P1000796_zpsgfdwnwci.jpg

Been thinking about the same. Maybe I'll fill the gap with some glue too.

Sodak
I drip super glue down the ferrule to seal the tang
then a small dab of epoxy to seal the opening between the ferrule and the blade

Been thinking about the same. Maybe I'll fill the gap with some glue too.
That would work also.

I found my last Mora 2 that hasn't been modded yet, and it got wet and rusty, I'm giving it the spa treatment and will start another thread with pics detailing what I've done in case you are interested.

LUOLDKn.jpg

Lousy phone photo, but you get the idea. I sanded off the red paint and darkened the blade in lemon juice. I cut off the belt loop on the sheath and added a leather cord instead so I can carry it on my neck, same as Hacked's set up. Not sure what to do with the handle to waterproof it, but I think it should be okay so far as I haven't been using it in wet conditions much.

Back