Photos Show Off Your Favorite Traditional Fixed Blades!!

Sort of. It's the first one I've owned and to tell the truth I'm not positive. It's from a maker here on BladeForums. VERY reasonably priced.
That's to bad, I do like the simplicity of Scandinavian knives. When I first started into collecting knives Scandi's were on my list. I then realized I'm not a hunter and moved on to folders lol :p my youngest Son inherited a few as he hunts.

Bark River Boone in custom slender Elk

3BLsQPU.jpg

This one has to be one of my favorites. It's an all around BF knife. Robber58 gifted me the steel. He'd bought this billet of stainless damascus from Devin "Hoss" Thomas (BF member), at the 1992 Guild show. After I received the billet I changed my mind on what I was going to do with it as it was .200 thick. My original intent was to make two small knives but I decided due to its thickness to make one large knife, a Sonoran Camp Knife. I profiled, drilled and ground the blade and sent it off to Peter's heat treat with a batch of 100 plus AEB-L blades. The heat treat formula for this stainless damascus is the same as AEB-L. Upon its return I pulled it out of the box and was surprised at how ep[ic it was in size. I'd kinda forgotten. Did the finish grinding and etching and built up the knife. Even after getting everything done the tang was .190 thick. After it was all built I wasn't sure what to charge for it. Hoss doesn't build a lot of steel for the public these days. A few emails to him and he helped me price it. So we put it on our website on a Wednesday evening I think about 8:30 or so. It literally lasted about four and an half minutes before it sold. To another BF member. An all around BF knife!

zudYoXY.jpg

2sdyhq5.jpg

Ie3j2Xp.jpg

I use to make a lot of damascus knives. I hadn't made any in maybe a year and a half to two years. I was tired of not being able to source decent steel and trying to work around flaws in a billet. I'd worked with some of Hoss's damascus years ago both high carbon and stainless and it is some of the finest I've worked with, period. No flaws in this billet!

A0UyKCC.jpg

Vc0k8sk.jpg

Course not every tale is all sweetness and light. Sometimes an oops will raise its ugly head. This is the second sheath I tooled and built for this knife:

11qtzWM.jpg

Here's the first one. Not exactly "round" filed Its more of a rectangular trash can:

Eu1V7jg.jpg

All tooled and and ready to wet mold and other processes. On these types of sheaths I punch the belt slots while the sheath is wet. Somehow the punch slipped and there's no fixing that.

8vlHsWD.jpg

NgQkyhO.jpg

Slammed the punch down and stomped around the work bench a few times saying all kinds of top row on the keyboard words like #$%^&* and )&**(%$! The wife hear me stomping around and came out to the shop to see what the problem was. She agreed and said: "Yep no fixing that, I'm proud of ya you didn't crack open a beer." I told her not to get to proud it was gonna happen:

DJ56aXH.jpg

Didn't help. Anyhoo an all round BF knife and one of my favs, even out of all the knives I've made.

Oh buddy, that's a heart break right there, I see you got the liquid fix near by though ;)
Otherwise, beautiful job on the rest of the sheath and knife of course !
G2

This one has to be one of my favorites. It's an all around BF knife. Robber58 gifted me the steel. He'd bought this billet of stainless damascus from Devin "Hoss" Thomas (BF member), at the 1992 Guild show. After I received the billet I changed my mind on what I was going to do with it as it was .200 thick. My original intent was to make two small knives but I decided due to its thickness to make one large knife, a Sonoran Camp Knife. I profiled, drilled and ground the blade and sent it off to Peter's heat treat with a batch of 100 plus AEB-L blades. The heat treat formula for this stainless damascus is the same as AEB-L. Upon its return I pulled it out of the box and was surprised at how ep[ic it was in size. I'd kinda forgotten. Did the finish grinding and etching and built up the knife. Even after getting everything done the tang was .190 thick. After it was all built I wasn't sure what to charge for it. Hoss doesn't build a lot of steel for the public these days. A few emails to him and he helped me price it. So we put it on our website on a Wednesday evening I think about 8:30 or so. It literally lasted about four and an half minutes before it sold. To another BF member. An all around BF knife!

zudYoXY.jpg

2sdyhq5.jpg

Ie3j2Xp.jpg

I use to make a lot of damascus knives. I hadn't made any in maybe a year and a half to two years. I was tired of not being able to source decent steel and trying to work around flaws in a billet. I'd worked with some of Hoss's damascus years ago both high carbon and stainless and it is some of the finest I've worked with, period. No flaws in this billet!

A0UyKCC.jpg

Vc0k8sk.jpg

Course not every tale is all sweetness and light. Sometimes an oops will raise its ugly head. This is the second sheath I tooled and built for this knife:

11qtzWM.jpg

Here's the first one. Not exactly "round" filed Its more of a rectangular trash can:

Eu1V7jg.jpg

All tooled and and ready to wet mold and other processes. On these types of sheaths I punch the belt slots while the sheath is wet. Somehow the punch slipped and there's no fixing that.

8vlHsWD.jpg

NgQkyhO.jpg

Slammed the punch down and stomped around the work bench a few times saying all kinds of top row on the keyboard words like #$%^&* and )&**(%$! The wife hear me stomping around and came out to the shop to see what the problem was. She agreed and said: "Yep no fixing that, I'm proud of ya you didn't crack open a beer." I told her not to get to proud it was gonna happen:

DJ56aXH.jpg

Didn't help. Anyhoo an all round BF knife and one of my favs, even out of all the knives I've made.
I'm glad it wound up OK after all was said, Dave!! Indeed a lot of work tossed away!! :rolleyes:

So, to all you FB fans, please give me an opinion; is a neck knife like this considered a "traditional"?? Since I'm mostly a Folder guy, my experience with these is minimal at best!!Neck Bobbie 1.jpg
If not, I will delete it!! Your opinions are gratefully received!!
What say you???

Back