Show off your GEC Acrylics

rockgolfer

Gold Member
Looking forward to seeing some great covers :)

Here are some pics trying to show off the depth in their Coffee House acrylic

DSCN7625_zpsdb293816.jpg

DSCN7616_zps0d788ffa.jpg

DSCN7624_zps19b74be9.jpg

DSCN7623_zpsd8b0f5a8.jpg

Are these basically thin sheets of colored material laid under a clear acrylic cover which is then countoured and polished? That Coffee House color along with the Corduroy are my favorites.

Are these basically thin sheets of colored material laid under a clear acrylic cover which is then countoured and polished? That Coffee House color along with the Corduroy are my favorites.

I only own this one and I think the actual acrylic is red. No matter how I hold it I see red, no hint of clear but the pattern is on the bottom reflecting up. I think this is what they call the looking glass acrylics. The ones like kryptonite look like ribbons of color twisted and melted together. I think a few different techniques are used to produce theyre acrylics.

Rinos, your saddle trapper had a big hand in helping me pick these covers. Great looking knife my friend :thumbup:

I like that new Halfwhitt Jeff, great knife. I'll have to get some decent outdoor pics to contribute. Til then, these are what I have already.

Their acrylic holds up nice, this 85 has a decent amount of pocket time.
F7ED01F8-DE0E-4CFA-8413-CDF554F1D140-2940-00000236FA6E6803_zps6cfe2ab8.jpg

E40CFE55-C731-4D57-B227-C2901E1A77B5-856-000000678CD724FC_zpscceb0134.jpg

I think the only ones that are clear are the 'looking glass' versions of pearl or abalone. The Coffee House looks very nice, guys.:thumbup:

There are some nice examples here also.

Per "knifeswapper" (Mike Latham) at www.collectorknves.net - a paid dealer sponsor here at Blade Forums:

GEC uses the term perylic for their acrylic slabs that have pearl-like chips in them. So they have 3 acrylic products - acrylic, percrylic, and looking glass (they also have a more expensive non-mosaic looking glass that they call looking glass+). All are surfaced with the same material.

Thanks for the quote, Ed. I had noticed some knives labeled as looking glass+ on dealer websites, but didn't know what the distinction was between those and the regular kind.

These are great! Good thread. I'm looking forward to seeing more examples.

Thanks for the info on the acrylics everybody. Some very nice pieces in this thread.

Back