Show Off Your Grinding Attachments!

Alright guys, I love grinders... the attachments... and seeing how people use them for specific tasks on their knives. I always feel like I learn something looking at other people's set ups.... maybe I'm just addicted to tools.

So what's on yall's tooling arms and what specific tasks do yall use them for!?

I'll start:
  1. Basic Flat Platten with 2'' contact wheel on the bottom and attached tool rest from OBM.
    • Profiling, Flat Grinds, most general tasks. I use the 2'' contact wheel for hollowing my tang on full tang knives and on some knives I can get into the finger choil area with it.
    • I've also played around with adding a top platen to this attachment (will add some pictures below). I've only used it once to line up my plunges and it seems to have worked fairly well.
  2. Small Wheels (from OBM)
    • Right now I only use this attachment for getting into the finger choil area. Currently have the steel wheel set for it.
  3. Surface Grinding Attachment (homemade)
    • Pretty self explanatory item here. I use it for flattening and surfacing my knives. I've also used it to clean up a guard or two and pieces for Damascus stacks.
  4. Currently Building a Slack Belt Attachment
    • I'm still trying to figure out the "right" size wheel to put on the bottom of this attachment (it's what got me thinking about this thread topic). I'm thinking a 4'' or 8'' wheel maybe.
    • Hoping to use this attachment primarily for handle shaping.

Basic Flat Platen Set-up with Top Platen Fun:

Small Wheel:

SGA:

Slack Belt Attachment (Under Construction):

Cheers guys, can't wait to see what yall got!
JKeeton

132620.jpg
One of these works with any machine set up to help produce any grind wanted. I like your waterfall set up for cleaning up the plunges.
Fred

132620.jpg
One of these works with any machine set up to help produce any grind wanted. I like your waterfall set up for cleaning up the plunges.
Fred

I DESPERATELY want one of the waterfall attachments or some way to get consistent radius in my plunges.

A8314B1E-FC35-452A-8278-921E7731F844.jpeg
I really like theses two attachments, they are free standing and completely adjustable for any angle independently, they also pivot on a swivel and can make minor adjustments on the fly to account for variances in stock. Sorry I couldn’t help myself, I love watching your videos and seeing different techniques and watching you learn. Can’t wait to see other attachments people post.

I really like theses two attachments...
Hi Joshua. What 2 attachments are you referring too? I only see a picture of someone grinding an edge bevel on an 8-10" wheel. (Speaking of which, that looks kinda scary grinding that way edge up. Aren't you worry about the edge catching and having the belt rip, gouging the wheel and having the blade thrown at your feet?)

Hi Joshua. What 2 attachments are you referring too? I only see a picture of someone grinding an edge bevel on an 8-10" wheel. (Speaking of which, that looks kinda scary grinding that way edge up. Aren't you worry about the edge catching and having the belt rip, gouging the wheel and having the blade thrown at your feet?)
I've ground probably a couple hundred hollow grinds and edge up and it is absolutely NOT a concern

I’ll mirror what razor edge knives said, I’ve ground probably 50-70 knives like this on a 10” wheel without a single grab or even so much as a pull on the blades. Also I grind while sitting on a high stool so legs and feet are actually completely clear of a stray blade if anything were to happen. I’ve had more issues of blade grabbing on a flat platen than a wheel. I was joking about my arms being my grinding attachments.

Seems like most folks do grinder bevel edge up without any concern of edge catching the belt. Only when sharpening on the grinder does the edge catching become more of a concern. Then I run the grinder in reverse so I can still keep cutting edge up to see better. With the cutting edge down the ability to see the edge is greatly restricted.

Seems like most folks do grinder bevel edge up without any concern of edge catching the belt.
Yeah, I do that too (like you said, it's really hard to see the center scribe line the other way), but on a flat, hard platen. I was thinking because the wheel is rubber, it would be more likely to dig in with pressure when establishing the bevels. I don't do hollow grinds, or have a wheel, so was just wondering. Thanks, all.

Now, back to the original program..... Let's see those attachments!

My grinding/sharpening jig.
That should work just fine, but a question, do you run the grinder in reverse for sharpening? I sharpen on the 2X72 grinder also, but run in reverse due to concerns about the sharp edge catching on the belt. When grinding bevels I never worry about edge catching, only when sharpening.

Question for everybody, any real danger of sharp edge catching the belt when sharpening if not running in reverse?

I
That should work just fine, but a question, do you run the grinder in reverse for sharpening? I sharpen on the 2X72 grinder also, but run in reverse due to concerns about the sharp edge catching on the belt. When grinding bevels I never worry about edge catching, only when sharpening.

Question for everybody, any real danger of sharp edge catching the belt when sharpening if not running in reverse?
Yeah always run mine edge leading... Only time I've cut belts (which is rare) is if the plunge doesn't have a choil and I'm taking the edge all the way back as far as possible (like on a spyderco) or if I'm convexing edge on a soft platen with a fine grit belt.

I call this one singing knife .You can use edge like guitar cord .It s 5160 steel grind on 17 inch wheel to zero edge ....Now it is about 0.10 -0.15mm half inch from edge :D Probably not very useful knife for real use , but i must try that.It cuts like razor..........And it is no problem to grind that thin with ege up ...BUT I use jig , i don t think that i will try this free hand ...never ! As you say ................looks kinda scary grinding that way edge up to zero edge ........
gwlU5Sn.jpg

AzMUvKx.jpg

My grinding/sharpening jig.
F07HaHL.jpg
I like it and i need to make one . Did you make it or you buy that part which hold knife ? I would like to see picture of that part if you have some .......picture with more detail how it was made so i can try to copy.....? I ask to much , right :oops:

Back