Show Off Your Grinding Attachments!

Hi Natlek.
Not too much, ask away. ;-)

I purchased the holder from Tormek. Here's an exploded view at some webpage. > https://advanced-machinery.myshopif...rts-for-svm-45-svm-100-and-svm-140-knife-jigs

If it was less fat I could grind shallower angles. The minimum angle on the blades I've used it on is around 18 degrees +- unless I shorten the pipe to use the bottom of the platen to gain the clearance from the clamp. I don't need to do that for my use.
I unscrewed the rear knob that came with it, off the threaded section and stuck it in a piece of copper pipe.
It works very well with 400 grit and raises a burr quickly with low pressure and slow belt speeds.

I just built this 45 degree table to help with making scales. I bought the table from OBM and fabbed the rest from scrap.
pm7By5U3j

poUlIp0Sj

Hi Natlek.
Not too much, ask away. ;-)

I purchased the holder from Tormek. Here's an exploded view at some webpage. > https://advanced-machinery.myshopif...rts-for-svm-45-svm-100-and-svm-140-knife-jigs

If it was less fat I could grind shallower angles. The minimum angle on the blades I've used it on is around 18 degrees +- unless I shorten the pipe to use the bottom of the platen to gain the clearance from the clamp. I don't need to do that for my use.
I unscrewed the rear knob that came with it, off the threaded section and stuck it in a piece of copper pipe.
It works very well with 400 grit and raises a burr quickly with low pressure and slow belt speeds.
Thanks my friend :thumbsup: I like that design and i will make one soon .....
I make something fast with what i have in hand .........I need to cut some steel bar in 10mm and to make thread on ends to fit where this arrows are ..........
I have one degree difference when I flip sides but i will adjust that easy when everything is done .....
mnjxcuy.jpg

rIwhjy2.jpg

jM1s2P6.jpg

waoMLhe.jpg

Last edited:
And this is my new attachment for my new grinder .Enough of hand filling/finishing that slot for gard fiting .........job which can easy go wrong and instead for 3mm blade you must continue with filing for other knife in 3.5mm , 4 ...5 mm :D
I have not all pictures , it is finished now and i try it /improvized/ on one grinder............it works ! I have for now 2 plate 3mm and 2mm .I will make one from 1.5mm .With 100 grit ceramic belt i will be able to grind 2.5mm slot .............
This picture show best what i was make ...Thin hard steel plate behind edge ,no glass no ceramic ....just for this task and for frame handles maybe
tmEL8D8.jpg

lkgHQ15.jpg

tnpLnRY.jpg

Enough of hand filling/finishing that slot for gard fiting .........job which can easy go wrong
Interesting idea. I'd like to hear your review after 50 or so guards.

So how do you get the slot for the guard started? Do you just start with longer stock with a V-notched in to start the guard around the belt/platen and then cut off the extra after you have the 2mm slot?

Interesting idea. I'd like to hear your review after 50 or so guards.

So how do you get the slot for the guard started? Do you just start with longer stock with a V-notched in to start the guard around the belt/platen and then cut off the extra after you have the 2mm slot?
With other attachment ...for angle grinder , which make perfect slot up to 2mm ......
So plan is ....open slot on this set up for angle grinder and finish it on that belt grinder attachment ...
h0MmT5l.jpg

With other attachment ...for angle grinder
Got it, thanks!

I just had a thought. You seem to like making tools, so have you ever thought about modifying the angle grinder jig with a screw/pump platen to be able to move it straight up and down and turn this into a milling unit?

I remember when you make that ............and I like it :thumbsup: I m working on new grinder but i start backwards with work :D First I make something very similar to yours....I can use different size wheels and work rest is extremely movable .Actualy i make them two ...one with three wheels ....

mghA0gd.jpg

G2Gpxw8.jpg

5Mq1Aam.jpg

bIMwVC4.jpg

uoG39os.jpg

IXnlERN.jpg

This is other one .............smal wheels would be different size ...
VaRN89Y.jpg

AiauC5L.jpg

YQkJSXS.jpg

Last edited:
Got it, thanks!

I just had a thought. You seem to like making tools, so have you ever thought about modifying the angle grinder jig with a screw/pump platen to be able to move it straight up and down and turn this into a milling unit?
I m not sure if I understand your idea ? Milling with disk as it is on picture or what ? What is screw/pump plate ?

I remember when you make that ............and I like it :thumbsup: I m working on new grinder but i start backwards with work :D First I make something very similar to yours....I can use different size wheels and work rest is extremely movable .Actualy i make them two ...one with three wheels ....

This is other one .............smal wheels would be different size ...

Wow! That is a pretty cool interpretation. Similar, and yet quite different. Congrats on a cool design! :)

I've made a couple over the years, some are still in use - and some aren't. Let's just say some of them were solutions to non-existent problems. :D
y4mDyXIsZRJm-b9O3oXUbQhsRqfYjkpbCIwrhMPE6sBd0eenY1p-oe1KmSaSUZNbeEFbXawK6cetaK8z2ZZAuekFxYbcJcvfQZdJ2jgNlZURDepJ2vv17HcOHYB0Edg-hZFzfZtuMuzOoqpbF06n5c-A0Tzl8eRR0kRc-MUXE2Dxq88h6F4USXneo4_RRQokOaeUIGQ9oj8Sg0waxuArt3ycA

Stromberg Knives Stromberg Knives these are some excellent attachments! Have you had a lot of success with the leather backing on your platten? I may just need to try that out.

I may need a rotary platten one of these days too! I'm going to go broke for sure!

Stromberg Knives Stromberg Knives these are some excellent attachments! Have you had a lot of success with the leather backing on your platten? I may just need to try that out.

I may need a rotary platten one of these days too! I'm going to go broke for sure!

Thanks!

I've been using leather backed platens for sharpening (nowadays if I want a convex edge I sharpen on the rotary platen - consider that another reason to build one!) and lengthwise finishing on finer belts. Still use it for the latter, works great. There's no noticeable wear on the leather.

Here's a question... how do you guys organize your tooling arms? Storage wise... Trying to figure out the best way to maximize my space...

Back