Show Off Your Leather!

Very nice Outlaw!

Keep the pics coming!

Thank you Grizzly...I've been enjoying your work as well.
Did you make the knives for those 2 sheaths?

Thank you...I'm still learning with every sheath I make :).

The buffalo horn skinner is a blade blank from Jantz. Those are my current knives, handling blanks and making custom sheaths. The other skeleton knife was a flea market knife a friend wanted a boot sheath for. Honestly, the sheath is probably worth 3x what he gave for the knife lol. :)

Here are a couple of the latest horizontal carry sheaths that I made for some customers. The one on the green MOLLE vest background is a for a Grayman Satu and the other is for a Strider SMF-CC.DSC_0373.jpgIMG_5083.jpgIMG_5291.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5292.jpg
    IMG_5292.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 39
First attempt at a Mexican Loop...

mexicanloopF-195.jpg

I have only been making sheaths for a short time. This is my fifth sheath and my best so far. It's for an ESEE 4.
ESEE4SHEATHSECOND.jpg

I put snaps on the belt loop for easy on and off
ESEE4SHEATH2.jpg

Some fantastic talent here, inspires me to work harder and pay closer attention to my work. Here's the latest, long way to go.
MarkBehnkeLogoavitar010-3.jpg

ApplyGrnslim2012001-1.jpg

One of my latest. Bark River Rampless Gunny:

TF

That extra stitch at the tip does look much better. I brought mine closer but could have gone one more.

I'm striving to bring my work to your level, thanks for the tips and great pics.
Mark

Thanks Mark - there are a lot better on here - but there is a trade off on that last stitch. If you put a weep hole - you can't put a stitch there. So - what you will find is that you want to start your stitch marker at the top so that the stitches look good at the top and then when you get to the tip - you need to cheat the holes a little to make them end where you want.

Chuck Burrows DVD taught me how to do that. I show it in my tutorial but not very well. Let me know if I am being unclear.

I think that sheath of yours looks fine if you have a 1/16th or so weep hole. One thing to watch with your pouch sheath is to make sure the opening doesn't pull in with the knife inserted. The line of the sheath should stay parallel all the way up - and not pull in when the knife is inserted. It takes a little fudging of your pattern to do this right - and I fight it all the time - but you will get it.

I think your Bowie Sheath looks great. Really take your time with your overstitching wheel when you are done - and use a stylus or other tool to straighten up any errant stitches the best you can. You might also want to use a smaller needle with drilling the tip hole on your bowie. It will make the resulting hole less apparent.

I think, however, that you are doing great work and your use of the swivel knife is a nice touch.

TF

p.s. I hope my advice is not being pretentious - we have talked on PM's and so I am just giving my 2 pennies on some good work!

Last edited:
TF
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience, very much appreciated, you've pointed out things, and advised on points I'd never have realized.

I'll be applying all of your suggestions on the next one.

Thanks again
Mark

Man there has been some really nice work posted since my last visit! I've always tended to post a 'recent best' or two regardless of origin, these are my favorites since my last post:

2-2.jpg

2-1.jpg

1-2.jpg

1-4.jpg

Keep up the excellent work everyone, I love drooling over others nice work!

Talfuchre
I admire your work. I am a beginning leather molester and like GrizzlyBear, I am learning and getting better with every sheath. I have two questions for you regarding your sheath for the rampless gunny.
1. What dye color is that? (British tan?)
2. What thread do you use for your stitching?
Thanks in advance
Balding

Balding,

The color is a mix between Light Brown and a little British tan. Easy to make - experiment - that is the fun. I was trying to replicate Chuck Burrow's 'Russet' - which he blends himself. I came close enough for me - but like a little lighter in color to what he ends up with. Both are hot. Both Feibings Spirit dye.

Here is the thread from Tandy:

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/1205-04.aspx

But - I would experiment with this:

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/3609-00.aspx

I think it lays flatter - and looks better. It is what I am using now.

TF

Back