Show Off Your Leather!

Mark - Thanks, and my apologies. I'm afraid "throat bead" is a typo that was missed(now corrected). I should/will read "lanyard bead" which is the hand turned bead on the front of the sheath. My maker's mark tag is at the base of the belt loop here is the best photos I have of it at the moment. I'm taking more photos later today.

BigBlue
That is........ablolutely awesome work! I am such a amature when I see work like that! But still, it inspires me to get better.
Thank you for sharing.
Balding

BigBlue,
The popweed is such an appropriate thematic element for the seal skin. Beautiful work and nicely arranged photography, as are the photos of so many of the craftsmen here!

Latest, for Dan Graves knife. First use of sam brown stud.
Thanks for looking.
DanGravesSheath001-1.jpg

DanGravesSheath002-1.jpg

DanGravesSheath003-1.jpg

Wow, almost a month!:eek:

Here's one I done recently, thanks to all of you for helping me get better. This thread is very insperational!

cc0d32ce.jpg

ba6eac3e.jpg

I should have cleaned the snow seal from my stitches before I took the pictures.:cool:

Here's a couple of new ones I designed and made for my Chris Reeve, Large Sebenza. The idea was to make a sheath that is slim in profile, fit close to the body, and rides high for cover by a short jacket. The knife is fully covered, and thus protected, by the sheath yet it is easily withdrawn with the thumb and forefinger, or the lanyard. I have been wearing a prototype of these for over a month now and I don't even know I have it on.

Just wanted to share. Thanks for looking. :)

DSC00072 by Desert Hermit, on Flickr

A couple of my latest:

"Surprise" Sheath: Fully lined, 172 year old Nova Scotia Black Spruce barn board with peened, forged copper bands. The harness is Wicket & Craig 6-7 oz veg tanned leather with an antiqued moose antler bead and a forged copper maker's mark tag at the base of the belt loop. Nice snug fit.

and.....

"Whiplash" Sheath: Wickett & Craig 6-7 oz leather, fully lined, Birdseye maple inlay, polished natural edges, and a moose antler bead. The belt loop harness has a moose antler tip frog. All leather has a buffed Mink Oil finish.

and finally:

"Woodsman's Dashi" Sheath: Wickett & Craig 6-7 oz veg tan leather, fully lined, figured walnut inlay, hand made copper and walnut beads, and forged copper maker's mark tag.

Desert Hermit,

Like your clean simple design and execution. Could you show the back? Wondering if you use a clip or loop.

I'd like to make something like those but after wearing a tool belt most of my working life, something on my belt needs to be unnoticed.

Big Blue,
Very unique work, really enjoyed viewing.

Did you make the knives also. The face on the first one is great.

Thanks Mark. Here is a back view of both sheaths. I tried a couple of different ideas to see which I like the best. Both work equally well so it's just a matter of preference.
I tried to design the belt loop as integral with the sheath itself, rather than just a stitched on loop. I like to build my sheaths for strength and longevity, and my goal is to build a sheath that will last as long as the knife it carries.

This design is really a pretty simple affair. Just three pieces of leather off the same basic pattern, a little tooling, a few stitches, and it's done. Basically a one day project. Easy and fun.

The knife is a Chris Reeve, Large Sebenza of mine. I honestly think I buy knives so I can make sheaths for them. It's an addiction!! :D

(I just noticed the tops of those sheaths look a bit off center and lopsided, but I assure you it's the picture and not the sheaths. Couldn't live with that!!)

DSC00078 by Desert Hermit, on Flickr

This will give an idea of the thin profile of the sheath.
It rides high, yet not too high, hugs the body so it isn't in the way at all. Kind of like a High Ride Pancake style handgun holster.

DSC00079 by Desert Hermit, on Flickr

Last edited:
TF
This is my sheath for a Swamp Rat Howling Rat. It's the 5th sheath that I actually completed. It's all stuff purchased at Tandy. Stitching is artificial sinew.
After wetting the leather for my wet molding, the leather dye color bled into the sinew. Not that big a deal, just wish it didn't do that. Everybody tell me your comments.......good and bad.
Cheers
Balding

Wow dude - it looks GREAT. Your edging is really nice - your stitching is even - and the design looks well thought out.

All the rest will just come with experience. GREAT JOB MAN!

TF

Thanks for the great pics DH, I think I'll try that for a large liner lock I made, it's just too big for my pocket.

I know what you mean about getting knives to make sheaths for.

The Dan Graves knife I posted above, I bought, just to make a nickel silver sheath for it, but never got to it. So I sold it and made that leather sheath as an after thought before shipping it off. Just couldn't see it go without a sheath.

Last edited:
That is some incredible work Big Blue! I really like that brass makers mark plate on the belt loop.

Heres my custom, a right handed cross-draw hard leather sheath for my Recon Tanto, sorry I dont have a pic from the back showing the cross-draw, I'll try to post soon :D

IMG_5130.jpg

IMG_5135.jpg

Back