Show Us Your Gunstock Traditionals

Another GEC #44

gFwKDLu.jpg

Here's the only gunstock pattern I own, a Rough Rider with smooth bone handles (thanks, Barrett).
gunstock.mark.Vspear.water.jpg

Whenever I see a gunstock thread, I'm compelled to ask why/how the pattern originated. Is there a "functional rationale" for the knife's shape? Was it just some cutler's aesthetic whim to make a knife shaped like the stock on his long gun? If the blades typically pivoted on the "taller end", I could see that maybe the pattern would be an "easy opener" because it gave better access to the "outer" end of the blades, but usually the pivot is on the "shorter" end of the pattern. Just curious to read what anyone knows or conjectures about the origin of the pattern.

- GT

Gunstocks? Of course!!!

From the top and then left to right: Queen '90's D-2, Esnyx custom brass/burl redwood, three S&M Keystones, three KABAR '80's master cutler set, Canal St., Queen, GEC 22 Magnum, another Esynx one-of gunstock barlow, GEC Charlie Dorton "Ole Jack", four of the GEC 76 pattern, S&M single blade 'File & Wire', and a Bulldog stag (Queen).

This is an old photo and I have added a few since then.

ZZyTGJe.jpg

Thanks! I was feeling a little "international" that day... Canada, UK, US.... :cool:

actually, it was for a wooden Wednesday... two different shades of rosewood, and an ebony.
Isn't that one of the great things about traditionals, so many ties to so many parts of the world. Just scroll through a couple threads and see knives made in America,England, France,Germany,Canada,Spain,Switzerland, Finland, Japan,Philippines, China and more than I can think of. Some are patterns that are common amongst many,others are recognizable to a particular country and even regional within their respective countries.

Gunstocks? Of course!!!

From the top and then left to right: Queen '90's D-2, Esnyx custom brass/burl redwood, three S&M Keystones, three KABAR '80's master cutler set, Canal St., Queen, GEC 22 Magnum, another Esynx one-of gunstock barlow, GEC Charlie Dorton "Ole Jack", four of the GEC 76 pattern, S&M single blade 'File & Wire', and a Bulldog stag (Queen).

This is an old photo and I have added a few since then.

ZZyTGJe.jpg
Very nice collection. I just acquired a Schatt single blade F&W like yours - beautiful knife. Also looking to get a MOP small gunstock Schatt and a Keystone Schatt like the one in the middle (carved bone). Also the Outlaws you have are very nice. Would love to get one. Which is/are your favorite(s)?

I'll admit, I haven't quite taken to the Gunstock frame yet. I originally got two GEC 44s, one in Ebony and the other in Cocobolo. I gifted the Ebony away and kept the Cocobolo. There is a day where I hope to become better acquainted with it, it really is a very fine knife and is one of the best built of all my GECs.

qYtaXZD.jpg

I'll admit, I haven't quite taken to the Gunstock frame yet. I originally got two GEC 44s, one in Ebony and the other in Cocobolo. I gifted the Ebony away and kept the Cocobolo. There is a day where I hope to become better acquainted with it, it really is a very fine knife and is one of the best built of all my GECs.

qYtaXZD.jpg
The knife and the pistol are great

I love seeing everyone's gunstocks. I've got a few gunstocks still in my collection. I am always looking to add more. I like the older ones. Here is an old Catt and a SxM.
oyLynvC.jpg
They are both beauts. Thanks for sharing. I have always admired the gunstock pattern but only now am I adding them to my flock. Don't ask me why I waited so long...I don't know. Waiting for this one to arrive...my 1st gunstock knife:

s-l1600.jpg

Back