Show us your Randalls

Thanks Sheldon. I agree with the spacers. I was thinking that tight stitching was pretty much gone by the earlier 80s.

Newcomers.
I4zPQsX.jpg

This is my latest,black linen micarta standard 14.(Thanks Mr Wickersham!)
Mid '70's with punch marks on sheath.
A few scratches on the blade but scary sharp
and more than good to go.

Last edited:

Another I picked up recently,5-6.
Mr.Wickersham,is this the faded centre spacer you were referring to in a previous post?
Would this put the date for this knife closer to mid '80's than mid '70's?
Any and all help very much appreciated.

Those punch-marked large C sheathes are post '72, and continued to be shipped through the 1970's. Black Micarta comes in many shades, only one of which is black. Yours is, IMO, a mid 1970's black Micarta handled standard Model #14.

The wide center spacer stack was used from roughly 1977 to 1984; the first had a very black center spacer that didn't fade; those used in the early 1980's fade to gray.

Cool knives, hope that helps.

Sir,
Totally agree,seems every man and their dog has a mint Randall,even I have a few!
I like the used ones though,as they have done what they were designed and made to do!
(My standard ol' 16 is the first thing I grab when going fishing!)

The pictured sheath was not with this knife when I got it,this is a spare I had from a trade a while ago.
This correctly marked early Sullivan sheath I feel is,or close to,the vintage that this knife would be,mid 80's to early 90's.
The 7/16th inch pommel nut is the same as others in my collection,although these have JRB sheaths.

She shows plenty of nicks,scratches,staines and pitting,but still tight,stupid sharp,and more than good to go!
Love it!:thumbsup:

Sir,
Not sure if RMK treat the leather for rot or not,but they do seem to last very well.
All the oils in it from handling would most likely help.
She's had good honest use,but not abuse.
The adventures she's had are right there in every nick,scratch and stain.
A classic and iconic knife for sure!

Another reason I like the used ones is it's THESE that the reputation/mystique of RMK being a quality knife comes from!
Not the "pretty" knives with fancy materials locked away in a safe,never handled or sheathed,never to be carried in the field or used as intended.
And yes I have a few of the pretty ones as well,but these have "been there and done that".

No matter if its on the belt of a soldier jumping into Normandy or strapped to the leg of a scuba diver off the coast of
Australia,the value of a good knife comes from those that use them.
And that value of having a decent knife will always be more than the money they paid for it.And worth every cent!

This is my first Randall. An early 11 I believe, not sure of date. It was a purchase from a big game hunter's estate. It has definitely been used. The interesting thing is that there is an extra "knife" on the right side of the stamp. The pinned ivory handle is cracked a bit, but it is still a beautiful knife.

RN11b.jpg

RN11a.jpg

Sweet older #11, you did well. Back 'in the day', the trademark logo was hand stamped soon after the forging was made, while still hot; if after grinding that logo was partially removed, it was common practice to reheat/restamp. All ivory eventually cracks (checks is the term used; sounds better than cracked, I guess), so that's not an issue on an older RMK such as yours. I can approximate the date of manufacture if you're interested. Did you get a sheath with the knife, by chance? Cool knife, good score.

Back