Show us your Randalls

Many Thanks for the info Sheldon. Unfortunately, the knife did not come with a sheath. I paid a pretty penny for the knife but I couldn't pass it up. I purchased a couple more Randalls with sheaths from the same estate and will be posting pics later in the month.

I would be very interested in knowing the approximate date of manufacture. I have some photos and film footage from the big game hunter that date to the mid 1950s, I believe, but I have not found any photos of the #11 in the footage yet. Thanks again.

P - the Model #11 was first cataloged in 1952, but the original design (profile) differed from yours a bit. Pinned handles ran through about 1958. Using those dates as bookends, you're probably looking at mid to late 1950's. Cool knife, good score.

Mid 70's(1977)Grey medium coarse stone.(info from Randall Chronicles)
Also going off the punch marked sheath.(Thanks to Mr.Wickersham)
Similar to one I posted recently,however the handle has only a very light green tinge to it.
Stone is unmarked and the same size as the salmon version,but 1/16th longer.

Last edited:
around christmas time, i was at my local gunshop and saw that they had a randall 26 in the case. i took a look at it, and it fit my hand just right. i had to leave it there though.

fast forward to last week. i was back at the shop and saw they still had it. the owner and i were dickering a bit on a single six i was selling, and i told him, “i want that randall knife.” needless to say, i got a good enough deal, and voila...my first randall.

5A5AB16B-2AB5-4A0D-8CD6-1E83244A97C0.jpeg

Hello gents! Just scored my second Randall... a 12-9 14 has joined my 5-6... and I plan on using it just as much! The 5-6 has gone hiking and camping with me, and has seen plenty of use in the kitchen and around the fire pit/ bbq... I can't wait to get the patina going on this one! It has brown micarta, single quillion, and a compass in the handle.

I won it via auction, and am not sure of its age, but the guard seems tarnished so I do not believe it is fresh from the workbench.

pics:

3z4TVlS.jpg

zDkpr45.jpg

7a4Z7dC.jpg

Your 12-9 is nice but that 5-6 is sweet, I really like the old leather handles with some age on them. Congrats nice Randall's.

Your 12-9 is nice but that 5-6 is sweet, I really like the old leather handles with some age on them. Congrats nice Randall's.
Thanks! I picked up the 12-9 as a birthday present to myself... 45 next month. The 5-6 was also won at auction (not much over reg cost) a little over 2 years ago on the day my fourth child was born. So it will be hers one day.

When I got the 5-6, the end nut was a little over tightened. I sent it to Randalls, and they put a proper acorn nut on it and made sure all was in order. Gary Randall replied to my initial letter, informing me that it was fine old #5, likely from the early 1990s. I've since treated the sheath and handle with Obenauf's heavy duty leather preserver (thick bees' wax, I think), and it keeps the leather in great shape. The 5-6 is an excellently proportioned field knife--I love it. The 12-9 almost feels like a short sword sometimes, but due to its relatively light weight (14oz w/o sheath), and excellent grind, it's a nimble and very versatile blade that's not a burden to belt carry. When I get to hiking and camping again, I'll post more pics!

Hey Ben, welcome back. Diggin' the new #5, but why not spend $20 more for metal spacers?

Thanks, it's got the nicest grind I've ever had on a 5-6. Not sure if all the knives coming out of the shop are getting a tad wider or what.

This knife has a heavy bevel spec option and the blade has considerably more steel than my previous 5-6 knives.

And I like the standard spacers, I've never ordered anything but! Plus it's already at the option limit plus heavy bevel
Hey Ben, welcome back. Diggin' the new #5, but why not spend $20 more for metal spacers?

Thanks, it's got the nicest grind I've ever had on a 5-6. Not sure if all the knives coming out of the shop are getting a tad wider or what.
l
This is my 5-5, I received it a few months ago. Looks like the same grind as your 5-6. This is my first Model 5 so I can't speak to the grind, except I like the looks of this one's. I have a few other Randalls and will post them here later. Preston
001.JPG

003.JPG

002.JPG

Back