Show us your Randalls

My new 18-7.5 - I have to admit I’m really struggling with the soldering at the hilt. I’m really surprised that it made it past their QC.

x6SkDrq.jpg

qO22vN3.jpg

ySURlzt.jpg

Cnq5qoS.jpg

uSScVTB.jpg

Yikes!:eek:

My new 18-7.5 - I have to admit I’m really struggling with the soldering at the hilt. I’m really surprised that it made it past their QC.

x6SkDrq.jpg

qO22vN3.jpg

ySURlzt.jpg

Cnq5qoS.jpg

uSScVTB.jpg

I'm not. Things like this are common. I have a brand new Model 14 from an authorized dealer that is not pointy, not sharp, a blade not as long or thick as advertised, looks like it was polished with sand paper, and has as per Michael Randall himself "air bubbles" in the epoxy that hold the handle on. If the solder joint is the only thing wrong with your knife....you got off easy.

Did you use the knife as intended? If so, did it fail you?

That's not the point. His knife is brand new, and should be flawless. When buying a new Randall Made knife people expect handmade perfection. Obvious cosmetic flaws like on ArTrvlr"s knife are unacceptable, and leave a bad taste in peoples mouth. His knife is far from cheap, and something as simple as a solder joint should be perfect.

I see both sides certainly. Randall never claimed to be making art they make tools. We expect art. Even though they are not inexpensive (and at the very top of my budget) they are at the low end of the truly custom world. Ed

Last edited:
I lost a hard drive with photos of my RMK's in use up here at Glacier Nat'l Park, and while I get that these days they're considered objects d'art by many and all that, but they once weren't; they were just working tools. I'm not an apologist for RMK, far from it; I've ordered exactly three RMK's from the shop, wasn't particularly impressed with any, and thus sold 'em. Yet, I've had many, many others bought on the secondary market or through authorized dealers that, for whatever reason, were spectacular knives. My point being, none were perfect, but all would work as intended, as cutting tools.

I get that it’s a tool, and I have no doubt it will be perfectly strong. I’ve got a dozen other RMKs, though, and none have pinholes. Especially not dozens of pinholes. My issue is that for the money I expect more. Both a Chevy and a Mercedes will get me to work, but I expect the Mercedes to have better fit and finish. And I can guarantee that *none* of the blades on the RMK website have the same issue.

I’m just curious are they deep pin holes or bubbles? If you put a needle in are they deep?

view

I love the way these two compliment each other. The 21 is so dainty and the 19 so stout. I’d like to get a double sheath for them someday. Maybe like this one, but probably not as fancy.0DBC1E11-5EF8-4709-A802-05515D677547.jpeg

Last edited:
That's one of the craziest RMK's I've ever seen. It looks to be a legit CDT, only twenty years older than the introduction of CDT's. Something new under the sun! :eek:

P Anthony, I'd like to talk with you about this knife. No so much to offer to buy, but more to document before it goes underground again. Cool knife, thanks for the share. (take more pics plz)...

Back