Show your Chunky Monkeys

Have you ever seen a knife and thought, "That blade stock is ridiculously thick and totally unnecessary. I must own it!!"? Then you probably have a Chunky Monkey or two in your collection. I understand the basics of geometry, but for some reason, I'm drawn to some of the outliers.

If you also have a chunky or two, post 'em up.

The Boker Plus BOB and Bobbie were my first monster thick slabs.

zhv41Uz.jpg

ebVIgFo.jpg

I can't remember the name of this little guy. It came with a Lefty leather sheath.

ssaPiWv.jpg

TLCmbWS.jpg

And a couple more tiny and fat at the same time. The little one finger grip Gnomes.

40tmnYT.jpg

OSFvNco.jpg

I've got that wood handled Gnome.

Might be the only one I own which I would class as chunky. The XM-18 is thick, but not in the same way.

Might be the only one I own which I would class as chunky. The XM-18 is thick, but not in the same way.

I get that too. My primary EDC right now is a ZT 0456. Definitely fatter than it "needs" to be, but at the same time feels just right to me.

nQRXdBV.jpg

zI3z0UE.jpg

Another that I don't think is monster thick but approaching, is the ZT 0808. I think would have been a better seller with a 3mm blade instead of it's usual 4mm. Similar to the popular ZT 0450. And if the 0808 also had milled/skeletonized Ti slabs with that 3mm blade, that would be pretty sweet.

a6B76wg.jpg

WvmZH97.jpg

Last edited:
Have you ever seen a knife and thought, "That blade stock is ridiculously thick and totally unnecessary. I must own it!!"? Then you probably have a Chunky Monkey or two in your collection. I understand the basics of geometry, but for some reason, I'm drawn to some of the outliers.

If you also have a chunky or two, post 'em up.

The Boker Plus BOB and Bobbie were my first monster thick slabs.

zhv41Uz.jpg

ebVIgFo.jpg

I can't remember the name of this little guy. It came with a Lefty leather sheath.

ssaPiWv.jpg

TLCmbWS.jpg

And a couple more tiny and fat at the same time. The little one finger grip Gnomes.

40tmnYT.jpg

OSFvNco.jpg

How do you guys like those little Gnomes? Been considering one for an edc for a while now, but never realized they were that thick.

How do you guys like those little Gnomes? Been considering one for an edc for a while now, but never realized they were that thick.

I like them. As my girls have said about them, "they're super cute". :D Though I still think they're a bit more novelty than utility. I can see them being fine for opening mail, cutting tape on packages, and even slicing olives when needed.

Not sure if they are still bundled the same, but my Olive wood came with the leather sheath, which is pretty useless. The belt loop may fit a Ken doll belt. If I pocket carried that one much, I would have eventually cut off the belt loop. Or even more likely, just make a new sheath slip myself. My favorite is the Micarta version. It came with a Kydex slip and neckchain. I don't like neck carry, but drops in a pocket just fine.

If you like the blade shape, but want a bit more knife, there is always the Boker Pry Mini. Little more knife, but many more $$$. Out of the three sizes of that Vox design, I like the Mini Pry the most. It often goes in the back pocket. But it's so pretty, I haven't let myself do anything harsh with it yet.

bKehb8o.jpg

uhHjnnd.jpg

Last edited:
Don't have any pictures now but the Becker BK2 Companion is a clear example of something that didn't benefit for being made that thick...

Back