Show Your Favorite Axes And Hawks

I enjoy the rinaldi milano but I really like the trento patterns. I recently picked up the trento boys axe and it's great. Took forever for baryonyx to get them in stock and it seems like what's available is in their "B" quality area, but it's a great working axe size and I'm glad I finally picked one up.

Milano after some customizations.
MJbw6ujl.jpg

Trento felling axe
mxxyzrAl.jpg

BOj8d3ml.jpg

SM7xyONl.jpg

FUCse8zl.jpg

I was building a rideable feature on the mountain bike trails in the latter pictures. I used the wood chips as a landing bed.

Everything I've read about Rinaldi has been positive. I keep thinking I need to give one a try.

I've been enjoying them but they can be really hard to get. I think it took baryonyx about a year to get them back uo on the website as it seems like he's been working on the kingfisher orders non-stop since last fall. I really like the slip-fit design but I like my council tools and older USA-made bits as well.

One plus for the long edge of the trento pattern is that it makes a nice brush axe for clearing up areas around the work area. Thw Rinaldi steel also seems pretty hard but still tough enough. It can be a butt to sharpen because it doesn't file nicely. Luckily, I haven't had to reprofile them.

I'll have to put a group photo in here soon as I've started getting the axes out for fall.

Question....how do you guys get them razor sharp? Does it start on a bench grinder and then progressively with stones?
If I'm starting with an axe I've never sharpened before I use various files to get the edge where I want it then smooth it with a fine belt sander. I'll finish it with a piece of fine grit emory paper on a mouse pad. I may even use a strop and diamond spray to get the final edge.

I don't have much need for axes/hatchets, but I still have a couple anyway, LOL. I won this a few years back from Carl's (jackknife) GAW, it is a prized possession. I even had Darkmatter make a jacket for it!

hatchetsheath3.jpg

Back