Fixed Blade & Folder Combo

Although I no longer carry a fixed-blade, I did carry one for many years (along with a folder).

I worked a shipping dock for several years, processing incoming and outgoing freight. This was a job that required a lot of cutting (rope, twine, packing straps, pallet wrap, tape, etc). Our boss supplied us with cheap plastic box cutters and an endless supply of blades, but the job was much better served by REAL knives.

I was thinking about that job recently, and all the various knives I carried at that job, and it occurred to me that I still had all of them. So I figured this was a good place to show them.

I started out carrying just a folder, but I liked the idea of something more heavy-duty, and I would occasionally need to do some prying, and I got tired of running all over the complex looking for the company prybars (and often not finding them. The boss would take tools home and forget to bring them back). So I started carrying a stout fixed-blade that could handle moderate prying.

After carrying a fixed-blade at work all day, it just sort of carried over away from work. Then it became habitual. Then I felt naked leaving home without it.

After leaving the shipping job, my need and usefulness for a fixed-blade continued in my construction career. But I retired a few years ago, and although I continued to carry a fixed-blade, I never used it. For that reason, and several others, carrying a fixed-blade just became impractical for my daily life, so I stopped. It took a while to get used to life without it, but eventually I did.

The first pic is of the last 2 knives I carried at work (shipping job) and away from work. The fixed is a Wilson Tactical model 25. Many years ago Wilson Combat, the people who specialize in custom 1911 pistols, had a sideline producing semi-custom fixed-blades, Wilson Tactical was the name of that sideline business. They shut that down years ago, and now I think they sell a different variety of knives under a different name

The Wilson 25 has a 5" blade, almost 1/4" thick, D2 steel, full tang, micarta handles (currently partially coated with Plastidip).

The folder is a Bradley Alias 1, produced by Benchmade. Titanium handle framelock, s30v steel blade.

LJIjYi2.jpg

And here's a pic of all the knives I carried and used at that job-

1. I started with a Benchmade Darkstar (I can't remember why I chose that one) ats34 blade.
2. Then I switched to a Benchmade AFCK. ats34 blade.
3. Then I tried a Spyderco Military. Old model, cpm 440v blade. I carried that for one day, I just didn't take to it, switched back to the AFCK.
4. Then I bought the Bradley Alias.
5. Around the same time I bought the Bradley I also started carrying an Entrek Cobra, 4" long blade, 3/16ths" thick, 440c steel, full tang, micarta handles

And then I swapped the Entrek for the Wilson 25.

lCjwg6K.jpg

Some of those knives saw a lot of work. Untold amounts of cutting. And the fixed-blades pried open their fair share of packing crates, without the least bit of difficulty.

Brings back a lot of memories to look at those knives, some good, some bad, but that's life. At least I had good knives throughout it all. And isn't that what really matters ;).

Last edited:
Although I no longer carry a fixed-blade, I did carry one for many years (along with a folder).

I worked a shipping dock for several years, processing incoming and outgoing freight. This was a job that required a lot of cutting (rope, twine, packing straps, pallet wrap, tape, etc). Our boss supplied us with cheap plastic box cutters and an endless supply of blades, but the job was much better served by REAL knives.

I was thinking about that job recently, and all the various knives I carried at that job, and it occurred to me that I still had all of them. So I figured this was a good place to show them.

I started out carrying just a folder, but I liked the idea of something more heavy-duty, and I would occasionally need to do some prying, and I got tired of running all over the complex looking for the company prybars (and often not finding them. The boss would take tools home and forget to bring them back). So I started carrying a stout fixed-blade that could handle moderate prying.

After carrying a fixed-blade at work all day, it just sort of carried over away from work. Then it became habitual. Then I felt naked leaving home without it.

After leaving the shipping job, my need and usefulness for a fixed-blade continued in my construction career. But I retired a few years ago, and although I continued to carry a fixed-blade, I never used it. For that reason, and several others, carrying a fixed-blade just became impractical for my daily life, so I stopped. It took a while to get used to life without it, but eventually I did.

The first pic is of the last 2 knives I carried at work (shipping job) and away from work. The fixed is a Wilson Tactical model 25. Many years ago Wilson Combat, the people who specialize in custom 1911 pistols, had a sideline producing semi-custom fixed-blades, Wilson Tactical was the name of that sideline business. They shut that down years ago, and now I think they sell a different variety of knives under a different name

The Wilson 25 has a 5" blade, almost 1/4" thick, D2 steel, full tang, micarta handles (currently partially coated with Plastidip).

The folder is a Bradley Alias 1, produced by Benchmade. Titanium handle framelock, s30v steel blade.

LJIjYi2.jpg

1. I started with a Benchmade Darkstar (I can't remember why I chose that one) ats34 blade.
3. Then I tried a Spyderco Military. Old model, cpm 440v blade. I carried that for one day, I just didn't take to it, switched back to the AFCK.
5. Around the same time I bought the Bradley I also started carrying an Entrek Cobra, 4" long blade, 3/16ths" thick, 440c steel, full tang, micarta handles

lCjwg6K.jpg

Some of those knives saw a lot of work. Untold amounts of cutting. And the fixed-blades pried open their fair share of packing crates, without the least bit of difficulty.

Brings back a lot of memories to look at those knives, some good, some bad, but that's life. At least I had good knives throughout it all. And isn't that what really matters ;).
Amen to that. If you had a shitty day, but a good blade on ya, then maybe it’s not an entirely shitty day. Those knives look well-taken care of man.

Thats a nice write up, glad you gave us a glimpse of your knives with the memories, that makes them special.

Aryan

LJIjYi2.jpg

lCjwg6K.jpg

When camping, hunting, working in the yard, among other things I have often carried a folder and a fixed. Usually a small folder or SAK and a 4-6 inch fixed blade.

I don’t understand the purpose of carrying a fixed blade that is smaller than your folder. Why do some of you that? Not throwing stones, just curious.

When camping, hunting, working in the yard, among other things I have often carried a folder and a fixed. Usually a small folder or SAK and a 4-6 inch fixed blade.

I don’t understand the purpose of carrying a fixed blade that is smaller than your folder. Why do some of you that? Not throwing stones, just curious.

Most.of.my folders are 3.75-4"+ so I carry a smaller fixed blade in and around NYC because its less scary than flicking open a.folder and dealing with the questions that rum the gamut from just curiosity to plain old ignorance.
When I'm out of the.city.out.come.the big guys

Most.of.my folders are 3.75-4"+ so I carry a smaller fixed blade in and around NYC because its less scary than flicking open a.folder and dealing with the questions that rum the gamut from just curiosity to plain old ignorance.

when my brother lived in NYC I carried a SAK on my visits. It never occurred to me to carry a fixed blade.

I didn't realize that it was legal to carry ANY knife in NYC...

With a 70mm blade, my Brisa Necker is about the same size as a common pocket knife, so I find it adequate for daily use. I've grown to prefer a fixed blade just because there are no moving parts to wear or fail. To be honest, my primary motivation is that I just like fixed blade knives, but I don't have the Eier to wear a belt knife among the earth people, so I keep my Brisa in my pocket.

For myself, I would rather handle dirty jobs with a fixed blade, rather than clean out whatever becomes stuck in the pivot (cheese, salami, peanut butter, and non-edible residues). I tend to spend more on a fixed blade, so my folder preference is more economical and consequently, a folder is something I am more willing to loan to a friend who I don't fully trust to take care with it in use.

The size differences between a large open folder versus a fixed that is smaller, does not come into my choices each day. This may seem impractical, but I also just like knives and so I don't always make choices about knives based on practicality.

However, running around the woods, I tend to go with a small fixed, larger fixed, and a large chopping blade or hatchet.

With reference to my post specifically both are relatively new to me. The Casstrom is the newest and I’m still trying it out and the GB2 is needing some more break in. Intended use and therefore the relative size didn’t really apply.

I carry a small fixed blade mostly, the folder is a matter of what comes in hand that day. Don’t have any pre-planned combo, it just happens.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back