Show your HDFK!

my thought's always been that admiring a knife is very different than using a knife. Both are fine, but conflating the two is a little ridiculous

I always like to make sure both parties have a common definition of the term we’re discussing to ensure we’re talking about the same thing.

So here is a definition of use:

Use
- verb
take, hold, or deploy (something) as a means of accomplishing a purpose or achieving a result; employ.

If I take a HDFK and use it to cut through some hardened steel and damage it, many would say that was not using it at it was intended to be used, that I was actually abusing it. Who is right?

If Bob buys a CPK for the purpose of curation, how can you say he is not using it? The purpose of his purchase was to keep the knife in it’s original condition as a record of Nathan’s work. He’s done exactly that and it meets the definition of use.

Just like a knife made with the intention of it being admired. Are you going to take a Warenski dagger worth as much as a new car and use it to process some wood for a fire?

My point was that I don’t think anyone has the authority to judge the legitimacy of another persons “use”.

“The ability to observe without evaluating is the highest form of intelligence.”
- Jiddu Krishnamurti

I don't think anyone is judging the legitimacy of use here. Just differing views on what "use" is. I think most everyone here on BF knows what knife use is: cutting, whittling, peeling, chopping something with it! There is nothing wrong with collecting, I just don't think it's the same thing as using. This is my opinion and that's all it is....

Got my HDFK Thursday! Two sick kids, out of town family obligations and my wife's work schedule killed Friday through Sunday. I wasn't able to try it out until today.
The HD is truly impressive. Love this thing!
It was time for the annual slaying of the fountain grass! Hedge trimmers would probably work most efficiently, but I don't own any. Besides, it's always been way more fun with my machax. But today I figured I'd put the HDFK to the task. Although, not very heavy work, it does require sustained chopping and I figured it was a good chance to see how she handles.
No hot spots. The handle is incredibly comfortable. I went through all four clumps without any real break other than stopping to carry the slain grass to a pile of its dead brethren. No fatigue problems, as can occur with a bad handle design or a poorly balanced knife. My grip felt natural and comfortable.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

There were a few more images but I couldn't get them to upload.

Last edited:
Got my HDFK Thursday! Two sick kids, out of town family obligations and my wife's work schedule killed Friday through Sunday. I wasn't able to try it out until today.
The HD is truly impressive. Love this thing!
It was time for the annual slaying of the fountain grass! Hedge trimmers would probably work most efficiently, but I don't own any. Besides, it's always been way more fun with my machax. But today I figured I'd put the HDFK to the task. Although, not very heavy work, it does require sustained chopping and I figured it was a good chance to see how she handles.
No hot spots. The handle is incredibly comfortable. I went through all four clumps without any real break other than stopping to carry the slain grass to a pile of its dead brethren. No fatigue problems, as can occur with a bad handle design or a poorly balanced knife. My grip felt natural and comfortable.
View attachment 808514
View attachment 808515
View attachment 808516
View attachment 808517

There were a few more images but I couldn't get them to upload.

Nice, it cuts very doesn't it! Looks like it already bit you....

Not really. The "That's nuts" comment is referring to the knives that he has that aren't sharp. :rolleyes:

Don't forget that there are knives which are made from actual steels yet are used as props on movie sets, etc, for art or artistic purposes yet are meant to look as real as possible. I'm sure that those are made with a blunt edge on purpose or else the cost of life insurance on the actors / actresses / stunt-people goes up dramatically! There was one scene from the previous season of GoT when Jon Snow drew his Long Claw Sword (I think it was season 6th Battle of the Bas*ards) and if you slow mo'd the scene, you could see the supposedly vaunted Valyrian Steel, flailing like whip!

Edited to add: also on Forged in Fire, when the last two contestants reach the final stage of the competition, Will always says something like, "you must go back to your home forge to create a "functional" version of this such and such iconic weapon from history". This leads me to believe that what is often hidden under the shroud is not a real functional version of whatever iconic weapon!

Ironically and very tragically, the Son of the Gentleman whose photo you use as your avatar was killed on a movie set by a real bullet from a real gun which was supposed to have been a prop gun :(

my thought's always been that admiring a knife is very different than using a knife. Both are fine, but conflating the two is a little ridiculous

+1. A paperweight isn’t used. I’d never post my knife as “used” when I offer it for sale when all I did was look at it and take pictures.

+1. A paperweight isn’t used. I’d never post my knife as “used” when I offer it for sale when all I did was look at it and take pictures.

What about if it was flipped open and then closed while watching TV for a few hours here and there?

Used to cut paper or against arm hair as a sharpness test? What about handles or fasteners removed or fiddled with?

Don't forget that there are knives which are made from actual steels yet are used as props on movie sets, etc, for art or artistic purposes yet are meant to look as real as possible. I'm sure that those are made with a blunt edge on purpose or else the cost of life insurance on the actors / actresses / stunt-people goes up dramatically! There was one scene from the previous season of GoT when Jon Snow drew his Long Claw Sword (I think it was season 6th Battle of the Bas*ards) and if you slow mo'd the scene, you could see the supposedly vaunted Valyrian Steel, flailing like whip!

Edited to add: also on Forged in Fire, when the last two contestants reach the final stage of the competition, Will always says something like, "you must go back to your home forge to create a "functional" version of this such and such iconic weapon from history". This leads me to believe that what is often hidden under the shroud is not a real functional version of whatever iconic weapon!

Ironically and very tragically, the Son of the Gentleman whose photo you use as your avatar was killed on a movie set by a real bullet from a real gun which was supposed to have been a prop gun :(

Yes he was indeed and it was very tragic. It's part of the curse of Bruce Lee.

What about if it was flipped open and then closed while watching TV for a few hours here and there?

Used to cut paper or against arm hair as a sharpness test? What about handles or fasteners removed or fiddled with?

Simple, it's not considered new anymore. Especially if you have tinkered with it. If it was used to cut paper or shave hair, then I would list it as "like new", LNIB.

Simple, it's not considered new anymore. Especially if you have tinkered with it. If it was used to cut paper or shave hair, then I would list it as "like new", LNIB.

So if it’s “like” new, it’s not new.

The definition of “use” is pretty clear to me. Did you disagree with it?

Civil war era replica of a bayonet, dull edge, never cut a thing or stabbed anyone. Mounted on a rifle, put in a display case. Used or new?

I think you guys are getting hung up on “used to cut”. So where can I get an official approved list of uses for a knife?

Jesus. Look man, if you wanna fondle them and just look at them, that’s fine.. I’m not judging. But we’ll have to agree to disagree on what a used knife means and what using a knife entails. A display case isn’t using them, twist it however you want. I’m just a lowly welder with a full-time job and a business to run on the side so I have no interest in arguing with you or anyone else on the internet over justifying staring at knives all day. It’s your money, spend it how you want and do what you want with your property. For all I care you could buy them, melt them down, turn them into fishing weights, and then say that is your use for them.

So if it’s “like” new, it’s not new.

The definition of “use” is pretty clear to me. Did you disagree with it?

Civil war era replica of a bayonet, dull edge, never cut a thing or stabbed anyone. Mounted on a rifle, put in a display case. Used or new?

I think you guys are getting hung up on “used to cut”. So where can I get an official approved list of uses for a knife?

According to your perception of use, it would be considered used, especially if you looked at it and took pics of it. I wouldn't want to buy a knife that someone was sitting in front of the TV flicking it open and closed and listed it as brand new, because it's not. The action of a knife is different when "brand new" than after you have flicked it a few hundred times, not to mention wear on the stop pin. So yeah, I guess I am hung up on "used to cut". Sorry if I offended you by telling someone else that it was nice to see them actually using it...

Back