Show your HDFK!

For what it's worth, every single knife that leaves our shop is "used". They are all "resharpened" and stropped. So not a single knife with "Carothers" on it is completely "new unused". They have all (100% every single one of them, without exception even the integral daggers) cut things. And not just one or two tiny cuts either.

Even my unscaled skinner blank?

***not trying to bust your balls, but if there's the slightest smidgeon of a chance of having the only "completely new unused" CPK in the wild then I've got to know man!!!!***

Stems of some plants have a pretty high silica content, they can cause havoc to your edge. Not sure about this species. How was your sharpness afterward?

Did you "saw" with the blade to get thru the sheaves? Or did ya hack away machete-style?
Edge was keen and undamaged. I used many methods, including sawing, but just to put the HDFK through its paces. On the great majority I hacked through it machete style. I do twist the sheaf as I hack to move the already severed pieces out of the way as I go.

^^ I'm not surprised that it held up so well. My D3V Field knife comes w/ me to work and cuts plastic, cardboard, various tapes and lot more. At the end of the day, it is still sharp. I don't even require a stropping that's how well it holds up. Once I used it to deburr the inside of several lengths of 3/4" copper tubing for a job and there were no dings or folds to speak of! Many knives I own would be very very dull if not trashed (as far as edge quality and durability) from those types of tasks.

Put it down as another win for D3V!

You know, after seeing these fantastic pics of the HDFK, it got me thinking. I don't have it in hand yet but I can infer a couple things.

Aside from dedicated chopping tasks where anything less than perhaps an 11" to 12" blade would prove counterproductive, the HDFK can probably accomplish all "camp" tasks. By that I mean the obvious feather sticks, firewood breakdown etc. I could see it very useful for constructing trap trigger mechanisms whether it's a dead fall or maybe a snare of some kind. The full size handle lets you do things that normally a "bird and trout" type knife would. You could even push the envelope and use it to skin an animal in a pinch. I know, I know---that is not its purpose and there are better tools but it *could* work.

Everyone has also remarked how comfortable it is which is important. A blister in a camp setting can limit your productivity.

If any of you guys like building "debris huts" or A-frame shelters like I do sometimes, I could see this knife making short work of a shelter build. Pair it with a good boys' axe and it becomes nearly invincible...I could definitely use it for my so called "camp furniture" w/ no problem. (Making rustic chairs and tables is harder than you may think !!)

The D3V also keeps its edge longer than "industry 3v" and is tougher. Who wants to constantly touch up their knife especially in a camp setting?

Those are just a few ideas--I'm sure there are hundreds more but the above tasks are things I have done and am familiar with. I like carrying a couple tools that can competently accomplish many tasks rather than a million specialized tools that each only do one thing.

She’s finally home after traveling more than 15,000km. Probably one of the most traveled HDFK.

38048267975_3fd80165e1_k_d.jpg

She’s finally home after traveling more than 15,000km. Probably one of the most traveled HDFK.

38048267975_3fd80165e1_k_d.jpg
Mine probably traveled about the distance as yours. It went to Charlotte, Miami, Los Angeles, Brisbane, then Perth! The wait was terrible, but worth it!!

I’m not sure what this is in the fuller? Machining mark or something. Cleaned it and it’s still there.
View attachment 811343
I’ve also noticed that. It’s probably just machining marks as you said?

Blade is great , super sharp, light weight, handle feels great, this thing will really cut, much better cutting angle than my TGLBView attachment 811329

I’m not sure what this is in the fuller? Machining mark or something. Cleaned it and it’s still there.
View attachment 811343

Most of them show a little color in the fullers, this is residual heat treat color in the machining tool marks that doesn't come out in grind or tumble. It's a colored oxide that I used to chemically strip, but I like the way it looks in the engravings and fullers and thumb jimping. They're all a little different.

All three of us here inspect each knife individually and things that any one of us consider a flaw or a defect gets set aside, so Jo, Mark and I all three liked the way your knife looked or I would have stripped it, but if you don't like the appearance you can always return it for a refund or rework, no problem and we apologize for any trouble it may have caused you.

Mine probably traveled about the distance as yours. It went to Charlotte, Miami, Los Angeles, Brisbane, then Perth! The wait was terrible, but worth it!!
Yours would have traveled more! Yes, the wait is worth it. I should have ordered 2!

Back