Show Your Machetes

Let's see your machetes. Goloks, kukris, etc.

Here are a few of mine. From top to bottom:
Gerber Gator Machete Jr.
Iraqi Khayyat, 12" blade.
Cold Steel 12" Sax
Very old Tramontina, modified by me
Cold Steel Heavy Machete
Tramontina 18" blade machete, wood handle
Straight-bladed chisa, modified into a full-tang machete.
Tramontina 22" blade machete, plastic handle
001-36.jpg

Here are a couple of mine. One, a Cold Steel Bowie Machete which I rather like to be honest with you. Its a 12" and quite handy.

The other is a machete in its mid 50s for age by Wyersberg pre-Imacasa made in Germany. I'm currently waiting on a Collins probably just as old that is old stock but new condition which I just bought for a mere $32.70 on ebay the other day and its an 18" made in the USA. I look forward to getting that one. I've never seen one in person. Just read about them.

STR

Attachments

• How to maximize para cord when outdoors 002.jpg
    How to maximize para cord when outdoors 002.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 322
  • Old Machete from El Salvador 007.jpg
    Old Machete from El Salvador 007.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 354
  • How to maximize para cord when outdoors 004.jpg
    How to maximize para cord when outdoors 004.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 388
man, i love machete threads.

i can't find many pictures of my big favorite, the full-sized Cold Steel Bowies, but here's one of its little brother that road with me in my Get Outta Dodge Kit, on a road trip a little while ago - great knife, the 12-inch Cold Steel Bowie Machete - why do they always stop making your favorites?!! - i am gonna be forced to turn trader and go look at Condor.
sedonaGear.jpg

i reckon modified Old Hickory 14-inch butchers count.
3.JPG

i like this grip mod. it's similar to the ECO Hawk's profile, and lets me give the machete some snap, like brother joezilla shows in his machetes 1 video. its a nice profile for holding the machete in an icepick hold too.
4.JPG

i want to paint them with Gun-Kote or something similar.
5.JPG

a little wire-breaker back edge.
6.JPG

pardon the cheesy picture. here are some Ontarios and Imacasas that i was doing handle and coatings research on a couple years ago. the top one has a sawback and an axe grind on the tip, with an ambidextrous reversible-hold handle. i like machetes that are swept back like that.
dragonflyRightLeftBodiesSized1.jpg

let's see what you cool cats are doing for sheaths, please.

brother canterbury has my old machete that i gave him at DirtTime 2009. he shows how he modded it and did his thing with his sheath.
[youtube]pQhwbR2a2X4[/youtube]

that's the weak spot with machetes to me, sheaths - not so important in jungles where i have been, where the machete doesn't rest too much, but i've been fiddling with some concepts for what i want for myself in more arid climates where i like to carry a machete with my hawk.

i like this packframe idea (so far) for wrapping a tarp and a blanket around, and for usiing as a camp table. they feel real good on a shoulder strap that i can just ditch easily.

some composite sheath/packframes i tried out on Cold Steel and Ontario machetes.
RawkSheathreversewithfriends%20.JPG

they've got a rough finish so things that are bound to them don't slip around.
SequoiaSheath1.JPG

okay, i showed ya mine, brethren - let's see some more machetes!

i bet brother joezilla doesn't really own any. :D:thumbup:

vec

From the other post. The orange-handled one is a 16" bladed Okapi...
020-12.jpg

My prototype for the RAT Cutlery thread...
003-16.jpg

Kabar Kukri Machete and Cold Steel Kukri...
009-10.jpg

Ontario SP8...
024-2.jpg

Kabar Becker BK9 works well for clearing brush and light chopping...
019-2.jpg

002-8.jpg

My modified Tramontina with the little one...
027-8-1.jpg

Last edited:
My one and only, its an Ontario 12" thats been convexed and had the top front part rounded for draw knife use.

100_1172.jpg

love big blades! ...here are some that I've been using:
various2008-2009156.jpg

The two matching ones are slim-line machetes that have been modified a bit. Just bought the Swamp Rat Rodent Waki, It feels awesome!!, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

I have some 10+" bladed bowies that make good choppers, but I don't think they qualify as true machetes.

Valiant Co. 13 3/4" Survival Golok
knives003.jpg

10" Sirupate
knives022.jpg

Becker BK9
knives012.jpg

Modified Columbian Machete

Kabar Kukri Machete and Cold Steel Kukri...
009-10.jpg

I have the KaBar one - is that the cheaper Cold Steel one? I kinda wondered how they compared when I bought mine but it didn't seem worth buying both to find out. I think the steel is better on the KaBar being 1085 instead of 1055.

What is your opinion of the 2 compared to each other?

Currently this is all I have in long blades. I do have three planned for the future in the way of various machetes to add to these. You guys are killin' my pocket book!:D

Top is a made in Spain Katana with sheath. Thats a pretty nice sword actually and one I've owned for at least 12 years now.

The other is a smaller Wakizashi A/K/A short sword

Next a 18" Cold Steel Bowie Machete

Then my Wyersberg Machete.

Then next after that a Hikari Seiki Seisaku-jo KK. Type 30 military Bayonet from 1944 which makes it a mid 94th series example which was one of the last of those made with fullered blades. I wish this one was rarer but unfortunately its perhaps the most commonly encountered of the straight cross guard type 30 bayonets.

Next my 12" Cold Steel Bowie Machete

After that at the bottom my made in Pakistan Kuhkri with two sharpening steel kuhkri blades and sheath. Those come unsharpened but are actually quite capable tools at about 1/4" thick choppers.

EDIT: Oh and the rest of my longer blade stash.

One of the original Cold Steel Warhead fixed blades with a hand made leather sheath I had done.

And another military bayonet. This one not so special just one from Sportsmans guide.

And lastly one fine piece of 5160 steel if I've ever seen it from Ted over at Mineral Mountain Hatchet works. This is one of the old style Skull Crushers Ted used to offer. Its now discontinued and although he still sells a Skull Crusher its no longer like this one. You'll have to buy a Persian model to get this blade shape but the handle would be different.. I've always liked this one here.

STR

Attachments

• Long blade collection 19 Dec 09 001.jpg
    Long blade collection 19 Dec 09 001.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 332
  • Long blade collection 19 Dec 09 003.jpg
    Long blade collection 19 Dec 09 003.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 266
  • Long blade collection 19 Dec 09 006.jpg
    Long blade collection 19 Dec 09 006.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
I have the KaBar one - is that the cheaper Cold Steel one? I kinda wondered how they compared when I bought mine but it didn't seem worth buying both to find out. I think the steel is better on the KaBar being 1085 instead of 1055.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_m4xErfJXw

This is the first in a series of youtube vids that convinced me to invest about $20 at amazon in a Cold Steel Kukri. While I feel it doesn't compare to my 3 Nepal handmade Kukris it is lighter, tough and a great chopper.

Yes, that's the $13 Cold Steel kukri. I'd much rather have the Kabar, even if it costs $48 and the Cold Steel only $13. The Kabar chops and slices better, came with a razor-sharp factory edge (the Cold Steel's needed a bastard file to get an edge on it) and the ergonomics are far better.

Last edited:
Yes, that's the #13 Cold Steel kukri. I'd much rather have the Kabar, even if it costs $48 and the Cold Steel only $13. The Kabar chops and slices better, came with a razor-sharp factory edge (the Cold Steel's needed a bastard file to get an edge on it) and the ergonomics are far better.

That's good to know - I kinda figured it would be useful to have a good chopper and I saw the Cold Steel Kukri, it looked like a good deal at the price. Then I saw the KaBar Kukri for $46 and compared features - I decided that it was a price I could live with and it might be worth paying the extra to have that one. Within the next couple of weeks I plan on heading into some secluded bush for a bit of camping - I'll try out the Kukri and see how it does for chopping & fire prep.

Back