Show Your Machetes

16911983332_d5884ab479_z.jpg

Here's the photo you've been trying to post

u.w.

I've been accumulating Thai knives and machetes for years. Don't have pics of the nicer and more unusual ones I acquired there prior to 1980. Here is a portion of a batch I imported about 10 years ago. Mostly hand-forged from car and truck springs. They are quite thick compared to South American type machetes.

The reddish handled ones on the left are used for whittling and making things from bamboo, like chopsticks, parts of baskets and the like. The handle is cradled up by your side and the blade is held in the hand.

If you do a Google image search for "thai blacksmith mahasarakham", you'll see old pics of how these were made. I worked with an old blacksmith and his setup was virtually identical, from the butter-churn-like air pump to the mud forge. I used to work the air pump for him.

Edit: user Thanakrit has some beautifully made and shaped knives! I have two Hmien hill tribe knives that are almost as nice. They came from northern Thailand around 1978. Much more nicely finished than the ones I got from Hmong blacksmiths in the Ban Vinai Refugee Camp in Loei province in '79/'80.

Machetes.jpg

Last edited:
There are some nice-looking tools in that selection. The long red-handled knives are intriguing... I'm surprised that that they have a curved blade as I would probably choose a straighter blade for that sort of work. However, I'm sure these guys would know a lot more than me about whittling bamboo. Thanks for posting the image-search suggestion. It is good to see images of blacksmithing methods and equipment that probably haven't changed much over many decades. Best wishes from New Zealand... Stephen Coote.

@USMCPOP,

Nice collection of knives. In my garden I most often use the "coconut knife", called "Etoh" in Thai, like the top three knives on the left. I like the heavy blade for chopping. Mine is bamboo handled and looks a bit bigger than the one in the photo. I weighed it at 650g with a 7mm thick blade. Blade length is 26 cm and the total length is 49 cm. The biggest issue I have is the handle fixing using pith is not great. I am on my second knife now, but at $10 a go, it's not a big deal.

Most farmers here in Lao prefer the blade style on the right, narrow at the base, widening towards the tip, a very simple pattern. This style is also popular in Cambodia , but many farmers carry small hand axes.

You are missing the style with a hook at the end of the blade, for slashing like a bill-hook. I have one in the shed outside, but it is unused, rusting away, because I find it a bit awkward to use. Still it is very popular among the locals.

Do you have a Hmong blade in the collection? I am not sure I see it. Maybe one in the center, left of the beer tin? I bought a smallish Hmong knife recently, and just sharpened it for the first time today.

Garvan

Last edited:
This is my garden knife, an Etoh machete.

And the Hmong knife I just finished sharpening.

IMG_20160313_173053.jpg
[/URL]

This example of a Hmong knife may be too small to be considered a Machete, but it is a good size to keep in a pick-up truck for emergencies.

Garvan

You are missing the style with a hook at the end of the blade, for slashing like a bill-hook. I have one in the shed outside, but it is unused, rusting away, because I find it a bit awkward to use. Still it is very popular among the locals.

Do you have a Hmong blade in the collection? I am not sure I see it. Maybe one in the center, left of the beer tin? I bought a smallish Hmong knife recently, and just sharpened it for the first time today.

Garvan

Garvan, the pic is just some random Thai knives I imported. I do have two Hmong "billhook" type knives with a steel socket. Very thick and heavy. Also a fair selection of pointy Hmong knives, some like the one you show. Some partial tang and a couple full tang with buffalo horn slabs.

Two of my nicest knives are Hmien in origin, from northern Thailand.

When I was in the Peace Corps in northeast Thailand, one of my farmer clients was a blacksmith. He made me 3 nice knives as gifts. Two of the incurved ones like the 4 in the top center, and about a 12" blade like a Thai short sword. After Peace Corps, I worked in the refugee camps helping resettle refugees, mostly Hmong people in Ban Vinai near the Mekong river. I used to help the smiths get supplies like files.

I would always buy a knife or two when traveling to different areas of the country, depending on the local style and whatnot. Probably never gave more than $5 a knife, except maybe the 20" blade short sword. I have several older blades or complete knives that my Thai sister-in-law gave me. She's a scrap dealer. :)

I just finished this one, not quite as big as a machete, but close...

Attachments

• IMG_2383.jpg
    IMG_2383.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2388.jpg
    IMG_2388.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2397.jpg
    IMG_2397.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2396.jpg
    IMG_2396.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Just finished this one up! Machete ish I guess. 1/4" 5160 with micarta scales. Chops like a beast!

20160320_091909_zpsdflx1zab.jpg

16" blade

Brought home from Guatemala in the early 60s. Has been a great user. Photo from this winter.

Reactions: vba
What is the machete in post #254 - Forjabo a Mano? A German brand I have never heard of? Does it mean forged by hand? Just curious.:confused:
It looks like a good, useful tool - people in Guatemala must really know their machetes:cool:

yes forjado a mano means hand forged , in spanish, wich is logical for a german tool!:D

Back