Shun VG-MAX Blade-Steel Inclusions ??

Thank you for the info related to clone v. real on these knives. This helps with consideration for time invested not being a total waste ;-)

RE: "Seriously, call the manufacturer."

Remember, these are not my knives. I expect, on the owners timeline, the manufacturer will be contacted either directly or via one of the representative distributors by myself or the owner at the owners discretion. It is my hope to visit a knife-store Shun distributor that provides sharpening services with consideration they can both see the macro photos and do a first-hand inspection. Then contact Shun/KIA with their assistance (at least this has been my recommendation).

I appreciate everyone's courtesies from the forum reviewing and answering questions here.

Last edited:
I wish I had seen this thread before .These questions involve serious metallurgical conditions . I am a metallurgist . Some photos seem to be far more than inclusions , perhaps abuse in use or attempts to sharpen. I'll take a closer look at the photos although photography is an important part of an investigation.

As an beginning knife refinisher, I work almost exclusively with European carbon steel reshaping, rehandling ect but I do own 2 Shun's. I bought a 8'' cooks knife 20 years ago and only last year did I have to regrind and that was because of the bow in the blade. I started with a 600 grit 1" belt sander and moved onto the tormak T3 starting with the rougher stone and smoothing that out until I changed and finished with the 4000 grit wheel. Then I moved onto 6000/8000/12000 grit water stones. I think it cost $150 back then but the shun paring knife is a different story. Worst $75 I ever spent. The big shun was my go to knife for years but there are so many better ones in the wrap now!

Back