Recommendation? Siam Blades

I'm pretty sure no one even watches a video all the way through before commenting on yootoob; they may be basing their comments on the thumbnail.
I think they base from the inside of their colon walls, which is all they can see from their perspective.

It’s kinda hard to argue with observed performance!

I think they base from the inside of their colon walls, which is all they can see from their perspective.

It’s kinda hard to argue with observed performance!

Certainly made easy work of those car ramps.

I can tell you what I see from the pictures on the site: laminated spring steel (I don't care what they say they're using, look at the length-wise grain), cheap & pock-marked brass fittings; workmanship looks shoddy all around. Their "Japanese" swords have torch marks on the Hammon, meaning they were touched up after forging (compromising the temper). I would skip it & not look back, especially at those high prices.

I'm sorry, but you couldn't be further from the truth.

I can vouch for the authenticity, materials, labour & skill that goes into these blades. I've spent the past 3-4 years travelling Thailand and meeting various blacksmiths and knife makers, from swordsmiths to axe makers from Siam Blades. It's been my mission and life's work to find the finest blades with the best craftsmanship here in Thailand. The entire knife making community bands together to share older techniques passed down, on top of newer more modern techniques with modern knife making tools/machines/methods. The higher end steel is expensive to import into Thailand, most makers get their hands on Sk5/4 steel, 1085/1095/5160 leaf spring - on the bottom end some recycled from heavy (older) trucks, and various other imports I'd have to look up (AISI M2 [S600 Bohler Steel in some cases).

The blacksmith's bio can be found here: https://roadsandkingdoms.com/2014/the-last-days-of-an-ancient-sword/ . He makes swords with Silver as well, and some of his most expensive blades are $2k upwards. We are offering his more inexpensive Dhas and upwards. There are 2 specific designs we offer from this smith, the blonde Dha is more traditional with less flare in the handle work, while this black Dha is the on the higher end but still affordable. Price also includes free shipping from Thailand, $60-80+ on these 2-3kg packages.

Laminated Spring Steel = False. These are not folded steel swords, they are solid pieces of leaf spring or Sk5 stock steel forged into shape. The traditional Thai Dha was made with leaf spring steel as base steel when we first found it. Since sourcing these off the maker mentioned above, we've upgraded to SK5 stock steel, which is then forged to shape. Here's a video of the forging process:
. The pictured sword sold and never had complaints.

"Cheap & Pock filled brass fittings" - Real brass is used for the pommel and handle parts. This particular maker uses a copper habaki blade collar, something he's taken/learned from doing Japanese style katana parts. The pock filled brass is more the style and petina of this design as they hammer it into place. To my own fault, this particular blade pictured is not super polished up (as I was rushed for pics on the go) but could easily be if desired as well as fitted with intricate Thai style fittings for a price. There are smiths that I guess mill these parts
OK8qAYk
. Much more intricate designs that would add to the value of the sword. I tend to stay clear of these models as they are more expensive, but they are available.

As for our made in Thailand Japanese style swords & tanto blades. They are not Japanese made, they are Thai-made Japanese style blades, I hope that's communicated properly. These Japanese style blades are a collaboration from 3 talented knife makers in Thailand. 1 of which, Ajarn Pum Wana (wanaknife) is likely the best maker with 30+ years experience and is a teacher of many blade makers in Thailand. Before blade forums and the internet, he was mailing ABS blacksmiths back and forth pen-to-paper researching modern techniques.

I can assure you, these Japanese blades feature imported Sk5 (Sk4) Steel. Solid stock steel, forged to shape. Then properly quenched, heat treated & tempered using clay. They are far more knowledgable than I on the heat treat, and they definitely understand the science behind it. In no way, was the hamon torched after. That's flat out offensive to suggest. The second collaborator is a knowledgable young man that is a personal friend. He is the organizer of these projects & personally puts in the hard work & effort to bring out the hamon through polishing the steel up to varying high grits. It's all clay tempered with innate hamon patterns emerging. They understand the temperature & science behind it, and I've personally witnessed them sourcing even the oil used to quench blades to bring better results. That hamon you can so plainly see, is the talented work of a knowledgable blade maker, under the tutelage of an even greater bladesmith.

The 3rd collaborator is in charge of the ito handle wrap & same with authentic sting ray skin (I've sourced from the same supplier). His talent really shines in the intricate details of the handle work, from the home made Menuki (brass) & kashira (buffalo horn). Sometimes they use brass, buffalo horn or bamboo for the Mekugi pin. It's all handmade, with strict detail to using traditional Japanese stylings. These are more high-end blades, that I'm confident would live up to real Japanese blades based off excessive testing and review of the craftmanship put into each blade. The price reflects the handmade nature, the expertise, the imported materials & the intricate detailing from the hamon to the handle work. They are THE finest blades I've come across.

Back when the pandemic didn't shut everything down, Thailand's knife making community gathered 3-4 times annually. They compete in "bladesport" knife making competitions, but really it's a testament to their skill & craftsmenship as they band together to source materials, provide instruction and share knowledge from everything they learn as knife makers. There's an entire community of 30-40+ of Thailand's best knife makers & blacksmiths that stand behind these blades. Perhaps my explanations and pictures don't do the quality of work justice...I'm an amateur hobby-smith at best, more for a passion of collecting than skilled in making...but I understand much of what you are discussing, and the quoted text was flat out wrong.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but you couldn't be further from the truth.

Personally speaking as the owner of Siamblades.com, I can vouch for the authenticity, materials, labour & skill that goes into these blades. I've spent the past 3-4 years travelling Thailand and meeting various blacksmiths and knife makers, from swordsmiths to axe makers. It's been my mission and life's work to find the finest blades with the best craftsmanship here in Thailand. The entire knife making community bands together to share older techniques passed down, on top of newer more modern techniques with modern knife making tools/machines/methods. The higher end steel is expensive to import into Thailand, most makers get their hands on Sk5/4 steel, 1085/1095/5160 leaf spring - on the bottom end some recycled from heavy (older) trucks, and various other imports I'd have to look up (AISI M2 [S600 Bohler Steel in some cases).

The blacksmith's bio can be found here: https://roadsandkingdoms.com/2014/the-last-days-of-an-ancient-sword/ . He makes swords with Silver as well, and some of his most expensive blades are $2k upwards. We are offering his more inexpensive Dhas and upwards. There are 2 specific designs we offer from this smith, the blonde Dha is more traditional with less flare in the handle work, while this black Dha is the on the higher end but still affordable. Price also includes free shipping from Thailand, $60-80+ on these 2-3kg packages.

Laminated Spring Steel = False. These are not folded steel swords, they are solid pieces of leaf spring or Sk5 stock steel forged into shape. The traditional Thai Dha was made with leaf spring steel as base steel when we first found it. Since sourcing these off the maker mentioned above, we've upgraded to SK5 stock steel, which is then forged to shape. Here's a video of the forging process:

"Cheap & Pock filled brass fittings" - Real brass is used for the pommel and handle parts. This particular maker uses a copper habaki blade collar, something he's taken/learned from doing Japanese style katana parts. The pock filled brass is more the style and petina of this design as they hammer it into place. To my own fault, this particular blade pictured is not super polished up (as I was rushed for pics on the go) but could easily be if desired as well as fitted with intricate Thai style fittings for a price. There are smiths that I guess mill these parts
OK8qAYk
https://imgur.com/gallery/OK8qAYk . Much more intricate designs that would add to the value of the sword. I tend to stay clear of these models as they are more expensive, but they are available.

As for our made in Thailand Japanese style swords & tanto blades. They are not Japanese made, they are Thai-made Japanese style blades, I hope that's communicated properly. These Japanese style blades are a collaboration from 3 talented knife makers in Thailand. 1 of which, Ajarn Pum Wana (wanaknife) is likely the best maker with 30+ years experience and is a teacher of many blade makers in Thailand. Before blade forums and the internet, he was mailing ABS blacksmiths back and forth pen-to-paper researching modern techniques.

I can assure you, these Japanese blades feature imported Sk5 (Sk4) Steel. Solid stock steel, forged to shape. Then properly quenched, heat treated & tempered using clay. They are far more knowledgable than I on the heat treat, and they definitely understand the science behind it. In no way, was the hamon torched after. That's flat out offensive to suggest. The second collaborator is a knowledgable young man that is a personal friend. He is the organizer of these projects & personally puts in the hard work & effort to bring out the hamon through polishing the steel up to varying high grits. It's all clay tempered with innate hamon patterns emerging. They understand the temperature & science behind it, and I've personally witnessed them sourcing even the oil used to quench blades to bring better results. That hamon you can so plainly see, is the talented work of a knowledgable blade maker, under the tutelage of an even greater bladesmith.

The 3rd collaborator is in charge of the ito handle wrap & same with authentic sting ray skin (I've sourced from the same supplier). His talent really shines in the intricate details of the handle work, from the home made Menuki (brass) & kashira (buffalo horn). Sometimes they use brass, buffalo horn or bamboo for the Mekugi pin. It's all handmade, with strict detail to using traditional Japanese stylings. These are more high-end blades, that I'm confident would live up to real Japanese blades based off excessive testing and review of the craftmanship put into each blade. The price reflects the handmade nature, the expertise, the imported materials & the intricate detailing from the hamon to the handle work. They are THE finest blades I've come across.

Back when the pandemic didn't shut everything down, Thailand's knife making community gathered 3-4 times annually. They compete in "bladesport" knife making competitions, but really it's a testament to their skill & craftsmenship as they band together to source materials, provide instruction and share knowledge from everything they learn as knife makers. There's an entire community of 30-40+ of Thailand's best knife makers & blacksmiths that stand behind these blades. Perhaps my explanations and pictures don't do the quality of work justice...I'm an amateur hobby-smith at best, more for a passion of collecting than skilled in making...but I understand much of what you are discussing, and the quoted text was flat out wrong.

I know what I see, I was asked for my opinion, and I have no vested interest. Nobody asked you, you have an interest, and everything I said is CLEARLY VISIBLE in those pictures; there's no debate here.

In fairness to OldBlock, I did ask him. I welcome anyone with knowledge of the company...yes, he has an obvious interest; but he is still a source of information, in particular about the specifics of how the blades are made and tested.

Thanks, OldBlock. I do have a few questions; I'll send you an email.

I know what I see, I was asked for my opinion, and I have no vested interest. Nobody asked you, you have an interest, and everything I said is CLEARLY VISIBLE in those pictures; there's no debate here.
I respect your perspective based on the pictures, but there's a lot of hands-on experience and knowledge behind these blades. I've personally witnessed the craftsmanship of reputable knife makers in Thailand, and I invite you to come and see for yourself before forming an opinion. Experiencing the quality and understanding the effort and materials firsthand gives a complete understanding. I can vouch for these blades and their authenticity. It's crucial not to underestimate the skills of these artisans.

If you're curious about the quality, consider exploring blades Made in Thailand. Here's a sample from a local maker in Chiang Mai named Che: . Both he and Nick Anderson of Nanda Knives can attest to the craftsmanship and expertise in the region. They're well-connected and know their craft deeply.

Last edited:
I would like to get a Dab sword and still hesitating...
I read the bad review posted by YagyuShintoRyu and owner explaining in details.
I am a bit frustrated cause buying a sword wihout touching it is quite risky....
On the other hand I found only this seller as an alternative : https://www.ebay.com/itm/384942196649?hash=item59a057c7a9:g:2H0AAOSwQ0lio2yU
But no info on origins and build...
Ebay populates other dabs but very old, which is not what I want to get.

If anyone can help me in making the choice, would tend to say Siam Blades is quite good and serious but the message from one of the guys here made me doubting.

I can tell you what I see from the pictures on the site: laminated spring steel (I don't care what they say they're using, look at the length-wise grain), cheap & pock-marked brass fittings; workmanship looks shoddy all around. Their "Japanese" swords have torch marks on the Hammon, meaning they were touched up after forging (compromising the temper). I would skip it & not look back, especially at those high prices.
This is a bummer. If you like weirder swords like a dha or ginunting, it’s tough to find very many options. It’s a katana buyers world out there….

But do you all agree with statement of the pictures ? Would like to see where you see length-wise grain etc. as pictures are mentioned with a bad review but post does not explain which pictures and what is low quality.

Last edited:
Hi, guys!

I did the OP. Ended up getting a Siam Blades dha. I like it; but I haven’t done any testing of it, so I can’t speak to its functional durability. It feels good and looks good for what I paid for it….been a very busy couple of years, so I haven’t done much actual playing with it.

However, B BladeRunner75 , I have a possible alternative for you. Saw these guys on the Scholagladitoria YouTube channel. That guy seemed to think they were pretty good:

They have a presence on Facebook….I don’t think there’s a regular e-commerce site. Here’s their email:

siameseedge@gmail.com

I am saving up; I think I’m going to get one of theirs, too. If I do, I will let you know.

As to the other one, I just need to find time to go out to my friend’s house to do some swinging. Yagyu’s review sounded technically viable; but I don’t know enough to agree or disagree; and remember - he gave it based on pictures.

Where are you located, roughly?

Just following up. I’ve emailed with them; they are resellers who deal with forges/manufacturers, some of which make to their specifications, others who do replicas of historical blades. Their in stock blades list SK4 steel swords (1095. Ish.), SUP9 (like 5160), and 52100. Prices range from, say, 300-ish to over 1000.

They are VERY responsive, certainly at this time which is their business day. I exchanged multiple emails with their owner. They speak English just fine.

The sword in the scholagladitoria video is a standard premium model, with higher end steel and in the 600+ range. Right now they have an “entry level semi custom”, out of SK4, around 400-ish, with one remaining promotional offer that includes a synthetic practice sword along with it.

They look decent. I’m really mulling over ordering one, so I can have two dha makers to compare.

Back