Sightings " Sticky " Thread

I have a bunch of these and love them I guess I should put a couple away to save. Just one of them jobbers that I always had a use for. Nice collaboration . with ( I guess vice grip ) I hate to look stuff up. I am sure someone will have the statistics. LT

From 2001 flyer.
$33.95 & $36.95 in the 2002 catalog
Interesting spring lock used to hold the tools in place. I keep it in the glovebox of my old truck.

schrade_toughgrips.jpg

Thanks Irv!
I saved a copy of that.
I didn't realize there were 2 different models. The flyer you posted is the only info I have ever seen on them.

How convenient, a built in excuse to buy another Schrade! :cool:

It's a good product, I have one tucked away in my tool belt (I be an electrician). I didn't know there were two models either!
Phil

In May or June of 2004, a large, nameless, "Big Box" store near me had 4 or 5 of these for $12 each. Since I didn't really need one, I hesitated a couple of days, then went back to get 2.....of course, they were gone. Sigh. :eek:

Bill

My Apologies but I can't find the thread on what I believe were called "wire knives" made by Geo. Schrade. I just picked up one on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6571328912&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

I thought there was some discussion about these knives in a thread here a few weeks ago. Can anyone help me find it or did I just imagine it (*%#@! VA meds)? :confused:

I don't know if I paid too much for it or not, but I decided it was time to get one. Besides they didn't have anything else on there that I really wanted.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Dale

orvet said:
Check out this bad boy!
http://cgi.ebay.com/SCHRADE-TOUGH-G...21525QQcategoryZ48820QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Does anyone know the story behind this tool? I have one in the clampack, but it is unopened. It really looks like a solid tool!!!!
It keeps screaming at me......"Use me! Use me!" :D
So far I have resisted temptation but it is really nice. I thought someone might know some history on this.......LT, Codger?

If anyone is interested, SMKW still lists a nylon belt sheath for these tools. When I get around to ordering something from them, I'm going to grab one for my Toughgrip. I'd just order it, its very cheap, but friggen shipping is still 6$. Maybe we could do a group order if we get enough guys together.
Sorry to sound like a tightwad, but I know it would only cost a buck or two to ship one of these sheaths and I don't like profit margins hidden behind other costs.

Thanks OTguy!
I just ordered some. I know what you mean about the shipping.:( I think they are steep on the shipping price, though I think they usually ship UPS, which is quite a bit more expensive than the good ol' Post Office. I usually wait until I have a list of things before I give them an order. Just to order a single item is prohibitive in the freight charges.

PS- I finally did it.........got another Tough Grip on ebay so I have a user & a keeper. :D

A guy can only resist a beauty like the Tough Grip for so long. :eek:

Schrade did make a few interesting hand tools. I've just begun looking at them in ernest, and so far, a couple look promising and not too gimmicky. Craftsman tools used to be my mainstay, but for a while now, they have gone to chicom sources. After eating a couple of power tools, I am looking elsewhere. The local Sears guy tells me they are returning to U.S. products because they had to eat so many of the imported tools. I did buy a new 6 hp. Craftsman shop vac for my work recently, and wouldn't have but the box, papers, and vac proclaimed "Made In USA". Ones I had seen this past spring were chinee. And not any cheaper, except when they were tossing...er...putting them on closeout.

I'll have to watch the Schrade tools for a while and see which of them might be a good addition to my toolbox. Perhaps someone can review them one by one in a thread?

Codger

Well, I finally got my "user" Toughgrip. It works real good. :D
I had a little trouble figuring out the lock for the tools though. :eek: It turns out that one only has to press down on the tools that are not open to open the lock to close the open tool. Different but quite effective. The tools seem to lock up good and tight.
It is a great size and fits my large hands nicely. The wider handle on the bottom that accomodates the tools makes for a much better grip than the regular Vise Grip. My son noticed that right off & I must agree. It really feels good in the hand. So much so, that I used it instead if a regular Vise Grip a couple times today in the shop. It really feels GOOOOOD in the hand! :D
The plastic sheath is funky, but thanks to OTguy's post I have a nylon sheath coming from Smokey.

PS- I probably won't be posting for a few days. I have surgery on my right hand in the morning, so typing will be harder than normal. :(
See you when I get back.
Dale

Hope you are feeling better and I Hope you are ambidexterious ( able to lift a glass with either hand.) LT

I found a 33OT at a chain of stores in the Pacific NW called Bimart. Most of the Schrades they have are the chitaylor type (made in China for Taylor Cutlery) and not the real U.S.A. Schrade. However I saw a couple blue & tan boxes in their back stock when the clerk opened the case to show me a CRKT. There are still a few Real Schrades around still, they are just getting harder to find.

Happy Hunting,
Dale

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but there is a chance to find a decent ( no too used ) blade at Pawn Stores. Lot of folks pawn their blades for a few bucks and these include some nice older pieces. Just a thought.

Welcome Persev :thumbup:
I know pawn shops have been mentioned in another thread but I don't know that it was mentioned here. Here is a scan of a Schrade 5OT that I picked up in a pawn shop for about $5.00. I had to do quite a bit of cleanup on it.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d178/orvet/5OT.jpg
Normally I would not polish the patina off a carbon steel blade but it had something like tar all over the blade. But, with a bit of work, it is my new EDC (every day carry) knife. I love it!!!!! :D
Pawn shops can be a great source or you can really get ripped there. When I first started buying at pawn shops I did not have a good grasp of what the last retail prices had been, or what they were selling for on eBay, so I paid more than I would pay now. But collecting is a learning process. I paid $23 for a good used 140OT, Trail Boss, at a pawn shop in Montana while visiting grand kids. I bought one new in box on eBay for $20.49 including the shipping!
However, the knife sold new in 2004 for $43.95.

The best advice I have heard about buying knives is "Read the Knife," (I think it was Bernard Levine who said it, but I could be mistaken). If the knife is junk is probably I pass on it no matter how cheap nor how good it was new. If it is a good knife that can be cleaned up and used then I ask myself, What is it worth to me? A few weeks ago I bought a Frontier 4515, lockback at a pawn shop in Southern Oregon. The blade was about 40% used but I only paid $3.00 for it. I have it on my work bench and have already gotten My moneys worth out of it as a rough use shop knife. I was surprised by the quality of the steel in the knife. I know Phil (textoothpk) is a big fan of these knives, but the quality of the steel was, IMHO, even better than he had said! :D

Welcome to the Schrade Thread of Bladeforums.

Dale

Was killing some time in the north Corvallis Bi-Mart this afternoon, and thought to check their Schrade display just in case. Much to my surprise, a U.S. made 152OT and a 153UH were there. After schmoozing the clerks a bit, I convinced them to open the case and swap the old ones out for some new ChiTaylors. They even found the boxes (a bit shopworn but with papers and sheaths) for me. I paid the retail price of the ChiTaylors for my first fixed-blades in ages, but what the heck, no shipping charges and no waiting! Now all I have to do is decide which one's going hunting with me, and which one has to stay home in the box. I think the Sharpfinger may get to go, it's time to let my Dad's old WWII Camillus enjoy a well-earned retirement.

If anyone wants to chase them, there's still a UH fillet knife, a green-handled guthook thingie, and a tiny folder with plastic scales in that display case.

Woodsbum,
Dang, I missed that! I checked that store this summer and they were even out of most of the display models. They must have found some more. I have noticed in other Bimarts that were out of Schrades now have some USA Schrades showing up again.
It amazes me that some of the USA Schrades are starting to show up at the stores that were out! I guess I better make my rounds again. I have hit most of the Bimarts from the Portland area down to Roseburg and the coast to Central Oregon. Obviously I missed some! :D But I was able to fill in a lot of gaps in my collection of the more recent production items.

Congratulations on the great find! There are still a few in some of the old hardware stores. Also welcome to the Schrade thread!

Dale

I apologize for being a novice of knife discussion, etc.
My father-in-law is interested in an "Old Timer" for Christmas. He wanted one because they used the carbon steel, as opposed, to stainless.
I've done some research and found that Schrade quit making the knifes in 2004. I'm probably answering my own question when I ask, is there any way to buy one new that has the carbon steel?
I've seen several on Ebay that are still in the original package. Is that the route I need to take?
Thanks for any help and comments..

Back