Similar to a Bagwell Hell's Belle Bowie

Are there any production companies, or custom makers, making any bowies with a blade shape/length that's similar to the Bagwell Hell's Belle fighting bowie? Thanks.

Made one, you mean! The Bagwell series knives were discontinued several years ago. But they're the closest thing pretty much anyone has done in a production knife to an actual Bagwell. The only disappointing issue is the 'QS-13 custom stainless.' It's 440A with a custom, relatively soft heat-treatment. Good for a fighter, easy to sharpen. Will take a good edge, but won't hold it for long. Bagwell was insistent that toughness was more important than edge-holding in a Bowie style fighter, especially with a stainless blade.

Made one, you mean! The Bagwell series knives were discontinued several years ago. But they're the closest thing pretty much anyone has done in a production knife to an actual Bagwell. The only disappointing issue is the 'QS-13 custom stainless.' It's 440A with a custom, relatively soft heat-treatment. Good for a fighter, easy to sharpen. Will take a good edge, but won't hold it for long. Bagwell was insistent that toughness was more important than edge-holding in a Bowie style fighter, especially with a stainless blade.
The Ontario Bagwell in 440A is more than most will ever ask out of one & they are around and will suit you just fine if you don’t have the monies for one of Bills originals! Unless you’re planning on chopping lots of bone & wood? The Ontario will fill the bill just fine! Since most of the time they sit in a safe for most owners!

Greg Covington would be my choice too, if a Bagwell wasn't findable. Erik Fritz and Jimmie Buckner make or made good Bagwell copies too, but they are harder to find. I also agree that the Ontario Bagwells were rather :/ in final production. The best Bagwell style knife to come out of that whole thing was the Spec Plus Frontiersman funnily enough.

Last edited:
get a cold steel trail master when they come out in 3v.... that one will sell well amongst bf members I predict ; )

I already have one of those in O-1 steel, and I doubt it moves as fast in the hand as a Hell's Belle would.

i have owned genuine bagwells and an ontario. the ontario is not that great. i think its a poor copy. a maker named greg covington will do a better job of that style.

Greg Covington does awesome work. I have a Combat Special by him...might be close to 20 years old now.

I already have one of those in O-1 steel, and I doubt it moves as fast in the hand as a Hell's Belle would.

It doesn't. The Laredo is fairly close, though. Outside of the Laredo or old stock Ontario Bagwells, you aren't going to find production knives that even remotely mimic a Bagwell blade.

Also, there is no Bagwell Web site. You'll have to track down his contact information if you want to place an order.

-Steve

Bagwell did give the nod to the Laredo in an issue of SOF back when they were almost restarting his "Battle Blades" column, I don't recall him having much bad to say about them. Howard Faucheaux and John M Smith where two other makers he had favorable comments for years ago too.

It's not mentioned, but Bagwell also consulted a bit on the old Gerber Aussie/Outback/Utility Bowie they made years ago. I can't say how much they used his ideas or not because their split was kinda ugly from reports of the time.

Edit - Feb 2003 SOF - Bagwell reviewed the Laredo and loved it, the only things he would've maybe changed is adding the C "fighting guard", and adding about an inch to the blade length to make it more of a fighter.

Last edited:
By the time the Ontario knives came out, Bill Bagwell was already a well-known maker, and his knives were much sought after. He didn't NEED Ontario to make a name for himself. And, from what I have heard through the grapevine, he's not the easiest man to work with, and has some pretty strong opinions on what works, what doesn't, and why. For him to give the Ontario series his stamp of approval was pretty telling, for me. QS-13/440A, or whatever it is, heat treated relatively soft, is some very tough stuff. Not great at edge-holding, but respectable for it's intended purpose.

Don't think from my earlier post that I was dissing on the steel. If it suits Bill, it's OK in my book. I have no doubt my Fortress could take an arm off, above the elbow, if I were doing my part properly. Good design is more important than steel. Good heat treatment for the intended use is more important than steel. Proper cutting technique is more important than steel.

I was just disappointed to find out that the secret QS-13 was not a special steel, per se, but a common steel with a very specific heat-treatment. I trust it to do the job for which it was intended, should the need ever arise. And my Fortress is not in a safe, but within arm's reach any time I am in the computer room. It's comforting when I leave the .45 Commander in the other room. Bad form, I know. Sue me. After this covid crap, of course...

For some stupid reason, I thought be had passed away. ‍

Thanks, I'll take a look at his website.

I just pm’d you his number

give him a call and tell him I gave it to you

I just spoke to him last week

he’s a good guy and is still taking orders

thank you for the kind words and Merry X Mas

some BAGWELL pics

Last edited:
Back