Simple beauty

I ahve always had a taste for "modern" designs. Whether cars, guns, knives, houses or clothers, smooth lines and simple yet functional designs have always seemed incredibly attractive to me. The Japanese aesthetic system of Shibui holds understatement in the form of incredible quality to be the ultimate. The knives that I find myself most attracted to are knives that are relatively simple in design and known to be very functional. Traditional, if you will.

Does anyone else know what I am talking about? Many of the modern customs (Ralph, Hossom, Lamey, Reeves) seem to have relatively simple designs, but desgins that flow and show attention to detail.

Thoughts?

I have the same tastes!
Simple elegance does it for me.
I think many of Bob Dozier's designs fall into this category too.
Lenny

Right there with you . Simple , elegant design tied to 100% function. I have alway's thought my Sebenza's have a 'Zen' aesthetic.
Paul.

I agree. Simple, functional, but elegant.
I believe Esav posted this old latin saying.
"Ars est celare artum",
"True art is to concreal art".

I think the Spydie hole is a great example of that principle. Lots of people have said on here, "why didn't I think of that?" Not only is it a VERY simple and lefty-righty neutral, it is also an example of using space/taking away as opposed to adding on. Thumb studs and dsics and such are add-ons to a knife. With the Spidies, you remove material to make it more functional. Cool...

Understatement, simplicity, and elegance of form please me more than glitter and embellishment ever will; I love knives that reflect an understanding of creative restraint. :)

Someone once told me that "Getting dolled-up is easy. Looking natural is hard." That has always guided me in all parts of my life.

I think I know what you mean. Kinda like Zen in design. I don´t see many knives that fit my taste of really elegant lines, beauty and functionality merged. Lots of designs are practical, purpose-driven, innovative, some show the fun of playing with new designs, but not many have that functional, simplistic yet elegant, fluid beauty I like.
One of the most striking bladesmiths for me, designwise, is Don Fogg, IMHO. Some knives made by him that I saw where simply breathtaking. Some day I´ll get a few of Fogg´s knives, but they are hard to come by.

Back