Simple Busse 101 Question

Leonardo63

Gold Member
When describing knife handles - What does "grexed" mean? I'm thinking it's where a smaller section of pretty stuff is mated with a larger cut out piece of G10 or other things- is that pretty much it? or I'm lost in space? tossed you a softball there I know

You're on the right track...They select a piece of Organic handle material and a piece of G-10. They machine the G-10 to have a flat mating surface to the blade tang and flat surface to support the Other material and cut the Bolster so the Organic handle material is butted to that bolster for support and protect it from blood, oils and what ever the blade is slicing.

yep, solid g10 maybe 3/8 thick with a section machined down to 1/8 thick then glue and pin the pretty stuff ontop to get it back up to 3/8 thick "or thicker depending on knife"

Thanks guys! I thought I was close. I've noticed looking at all kinds of materials people offer for scales and notice a lot of the exotic stuff isn't available in a sufficient dimension to make the entire handle and this is just a way to employ greater creativity- not sure that's why, but it seemed to make some sense also considering a handle not only needs to look nice but perform and maybe some of these materials might not work in a thicker stand alone piece. I might go so far to say, I've noticed little to none of this kind of expression with any other makers- I'm sure they are out there but then I pretty much have tunnel vision in what I'm looking for.

Busto and StealthCaliber did a much better job describing it than I could have done.:thumbsup::cool:

Here's the background of the name. . .

We came up with this idea to protect some of the more fragile handle materials. Fossilized Mammoth tooth was the main concern at the time, but we couldn't decide on the best method to employ it. . . o_O

Garth figured it out first which made him King HOG for the day!. . . G (Garth)-Rex (King) = G-Rex:cool:

Carry on. . . I'm babbling. . . Rough night last night. . . . just trying not to walk into walls and drool too much!:eek:

Jerry:D

Last edited:
It doesn't have to be with organic scale material. G-Rex can be two different colors of G10.

Back