Simply put, who makes the most bas ass sheaths guys?

How bout it guys? I'm looking for the guy who is an innovator, who is down to take custom orders and build a sheath ANY way I want it (in this case for a TGLB) and one day for an ASH-1 as well.
Would be awesome if said maker worked with kydex AND leather, AND possibly even nylon , but even I know that's doubtful, so one guy or company in each category is fine.
Anyhow, can you guys give me the best maker of leather and the best maker of kydex as well? I know anyone with a little harbor press and cutting tools etc can make a sheath with the right tools, but who are the most bad ass innovators around guys? I want the guys who refuse to be told, or accept the fact that "there's only so much you can do to a sheath." I also want a guy who I can call up and request modifications to a sheath, (for example, the addition of a fire starter pouch on the side, etc, etc), without any hesitation to do said mods etc.
I want that guy to build my sheath. The guy who is always thinking outside the box on how he can improve, and how he can innovate new ideas into sheaths.
Are there any makers that fit this bill? Who are these fine gentlemen?

Like I said, knife is a TGLB, and I'm looking for both kydex and leather recommendations. Hell, nylon too, if we have anyone specializing in nylon sheaths with MOLLE webbing and kydex inserts as well?

Last edited:
The best I have purchased from A to Z: Azwelke ,Buy Brown, Skystorm,Spec ops brand,And Rainwalker creations.All are great but its all about your specs.

There is no "best". It's really personal preference for the features the different makers offer. I don't think there is a custom nylon maker anymore. I've heard mention of a couple but when I try to contact them, I get no response.

All the makers mentioned are great, but like al g blenny said, there isn't a best, just opinion/preference. I would just get an idea of what you want and look around, maybe talk to a few people, and pull the trigger. I am pretty sure you'll be satisfied with any maker the awesome people on this forum mention.

A few I love that haven't been mentioned:
-Godspeed Tactical (kydex)
-Chuddy Bear (leather)
-Mikey Moto (leather)

I think I'm going to try to get a Chuddy Bear one next. I have quite a few I want some nice leather for (A TGLB being one of them)

More kydex benders
-Okuden
-PawPaws

I have ordered kydex directly from Al Welke, Buy Brown, Okuden, and PawPaws. All were great.

Would be awesome if said maker worked with kydex AND leather, AND possibly even nylon , but even I know that's doubtful, so one guy or company in each category is fine.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think BF member "leatherman" has made sheaths that contain both kydex and leather. He makes great leather sheaths!

Wow. I like this unanswerable question. I like my sheath makers local in Oregon. Survival Sheaths might not be the best looking sheaths but they are very real world functional & battle tested comfy good. Forget what looks good & get what works great. On the otherside the Severe Brothers leather saddles & sheaths(if u can even get them to make u one) are national treasures. 2nd to none in Leather Old school sheaths built to last a lifetime.

Jeff Law (Rainwalker) works with both leather and kydex and his work is amazing.

I have leather sheaths from Leatherman for a Busse, and leather sheaths from Rick Lowe for Fiddleback knives. Both do amazing work, and are some of the nicest people to deal with on the Internet. Recommend both.

Also have a kydex sheath from Azwelke, his work is very neat so I'd recommend him as well. I just ordered the sheath from his site, so I never dealt with him, but he was fast to make and ship.

I have Rainwalker, Leatherman, AZWelke, Buy Brown, Chuddy Bear, Sky Storm, Steelnut and Mashed Cat Sheaths. I also had a Micky Moto that I sold (came with a blade and was left handed), the quality of any of these makers will not let you down. I have a "Survival Sheath Systems" sheath that is well made, it does however represent one of the worst buying experiences of my life (most of which is still available to read, along with all the other people having the same issues with him, in the now closed forum he had here) so it is hard to warm up to it.

I think David Brown at Buy brown has some of the coolest and most innovative Kydex work around. He does stuff I have not seen from anyone else both decorative and functional

Maybe you should start your search in the Sheath sub forum? http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/820-Sheaths-amp-Such
There's a list of makers in the stickys

Well thanks Hooligan, but I wasn't really looking for a list of sheath makers. I came here to ask Busse knife owners who they felt was the most innovative sheath maker(s) out there.
I know there are umpteen thousand guys fabbing these sheaths from kydex and leather on a daily basis. Thanks for the replies guys. Just one more question, is Spec Ops going to be the best nylon sheath available for a TGLB? Also, I'm assuming Spec Ops does not make a sheath specific for a Busse TGLB, but instead, they make generic sized sheaths, and I will simply buy the one that fits the TGLB as closely as possible? Do I have that right? I know azwelke, as well as others are making kydex inserts for the TGLB and spec ops combo, so I'm thinking of looking into that. Thx guys.

The Spec Ops long sheath fits just fine. The main benefit of a custom liner is the secondary retention you get from the kydex.

I would nominate Buy Brown for most innovative kydex bender.

For leather or kydex/leather fusions I would say Rainwalker and Leatherman.

Chuddy Bear also does top-shelf leather work and the magnetic retention is nice and innovative.

There are lots of craftsmen that do great work, but these are the ones I would go to first.

I don't have any experience with trying it, but i wouldn't think modding a leather sheath would be cost effective. You need to say what options you want to have up front so they can be incorporated into the original design.

A couple that I haven't noticed mentioned that I think are among the best:

Semper Paratus Tactical - my go-to for nylon sheaths.
River-8 - for innovative, hard-use, sheath designs in kydex with cordura pouches. The most "outside the box" maker IMO.

Awesome info guys. Darkaether, I totally agree that I wouldn't want to mod any sheath "after the fact". By mod, I mean, adding my mods to an existing sheath design, before the sheath is built.

Back