1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Simply put, who makes the most bas ass sheaths guys?

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by razorhunter, Dec 27, 2013.

1. razorhunter

razorhunter

Jan 27, 2002
    Btw guys, where can I see River8 sheaths? Google comes up with a SAR site, that mentions Busse and other knives, but no mention of sheathmaking. Thx guys.

2. leatherman

leatherman leathermoderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 30, 2001
    River8 back when he was active only made sheaths as a hobby. He may or may not want to take on new jobs.

3. resinguy

resinguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2006

I think that his member name here is River-8. Search, and then send him a PM or email.

4. 360joules

360joules Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2013
  5. resinguy

resinguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2006
    AFAIK the pouch that River-8 adds to his sheaths is unique. The opening and flap are arranged so that the user can open it while squatting or sitting. It occurs to me that he should copyright that design before some bag company poaches it.

6. leatherman

leatherman leathermoderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 30, 2001
    Very true! But, the nice thing about copyright is its automatic as he can show a time stamp from when he originally showed that design off, but it takes expensive lawyers to tell the other guy to "knock it off!"

He might be able to patent or trademark the design, again expensive, but well worth the trouble as that is one nice set up he has. :)

We've had a few things like that I'd love to protect, but its expensive and when utilities are difficult to pay, its just not worth the trouble, and everyone knows where the original is anyhow, in many other makers cases as well. :D

7. Silas

Silas

Jul 22, 2004
    razorhunter, this is sort of the way Leatherman makes his Leather Kydex Fusion sheaths. Each piece of kydex has leather fused to both sides of it.

Here is a picture of three of these sheaths. The two black lines running along each sheath's edge is a layer of Kydex. The edges of the sheaths are smooth though. When you rub your finger across it you cannot feel all of the different layers, it just feels like on piece.

[​IMG]

8. Rob_Mob

Rob_Mob

Oct 16, 2013
    David Brown! Stand up guy too

9. wvriverats

wvriverats

Nov 21, 2008
    I have had / have sheaths from River 8, Leatherman, and Mikey Moto. They are all incredible. The Mikey Moto pin-lok I have for an Active Duty is a neat feature.

10. 360joules

Nov 23, 2013
    Brought that up with him a few times, not just for that pouch, but also other designs of his - Murse, Pest, Water Bottle Kit, etc. He's the Willy Wonka of cordura. Sometimes the Rube Goldberg. :)

He gave True North his PEST design that they've adapted for manufacture as the Aero-Vest. Not exactly the same, but close. :thumbup:

11. gunfixrjoe

gunfixrjoe

Aug 11, 2011

Yes sir, only kydex here. Thank you very much for the mention on here. I do only custom kydex to the individual knife, per the customer request. And a little holster work...... Very low volume....

12. mymindisamob

mymindisamob

Feb 1, 2005
    I have owned soooooooo many sheaths, but for kydex it's Mashed Cat for me. I support all leather benders, but Armoralleather is my choice. Dwayne's kydex fusion is beautiful and bombproof. I need to get a set for all my INFI this next year.

13. shunsui

shunsui Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Just in case anyone doesn't know, Spec-Ops now makes a version of their Combat Master sheath in leather.

Bit pricey at around $100. Don't have one, so I can't say what the quality is like.

14. razorhunter

razorhunter

Jan 27, 2002
    I am quite surprised that more makers are not making molle compatible sheaths. Can anyone here comment on how it IS being done with the kydex sheaths?? I know Spec Ops combat master sheath addresses the issue at the TOP of the sheath (where one would normally attach the sheath to a belt), but how about down at the bottom of the sheath? Is there also a molle "loop" there as well, or is Spec Ops expecting the user to lash the bottom of the sheath via the paracord???
    I know making any leather or kydex sheath molle compatible would be super easy, so I'm trying to find out who is making combat knife sheaths in kydex, and leather, (cordura/nylon would be nice too) that are molle compatible. "MOLLE compatible" meaning the proper way, not via secondary paracord lashing etc.
    Basically interested in the following molle compatible sheaths for a Busse TGLB, which ALSO have the capability to use other means of attachment (teklock, direct belt attachment etc):

-lined kydex offered in various colors

-leather (probably black) with lined kydex insert capability

-other custom nylon/cordura sheaths like the spec ops offering

15. J&G-Designs

J&G-Designs

Jul 27, 2012
    What you ask for is actually very simple. Just use Molle-lok's they have the same hole spacing as a large Tek-lok.

Attached Files:

16. razorhunter

razorhunter

Jan 27, 2002
    Molle loc is definitely an option. How about Tactical Tailor malice clips guys? This has been a favorite product of mine lately, for numerous projects. Any of you sheath makers using them? Thx for the post J&G. I had seen that same group of pics in the sheath makers thread where you replied a while back, and had been wondering which method you were using there.

17. River-8

River-8

Sep 24, 2006
    "A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."

Still here, and still knocking out the random sheath... :D
    PM here, or E-mail: graphics*at*gorge.net

Cheers,
    Rube, er; 8

p/s
    c180, see you Sunday for Trees-N-Quiet?

18. Guyon

Guyon Biscuit Whisperer Staff Member Super Mod

Mar 15, 2000
    Dwayne Puckett, aka leatherman, has always done great work for me.

[​IMG]

19. 360joules

Nov 23, 2013
    8, Yessir. I'll be there.

Guyon, can I have those? :)

20. Oku

Oku

Dec 2, 2002
    The MOLLE Lok is a superior attachment system for this application.

Interestingly, or perhaps not.....A fair number of military folks seem to favor 550 cord for attaching stuff like sheaths to MOLLE/PALS. I know of at least one "production" sheath that was designed specifically to be attached to MOLLE with 550 cord.