Simply put, who makes the most bas ass sheaths guys?

Btw guys, where can I see River8 sheaths? Google comes up with a SAR site, that mentions Busse and other knives, but no mention of sheathmaking. Thx guys.

River8 back when he was active only made sheaths as a hobby. He may or may not want to take on new jobs.

Btw guys, where can I see River8 sheaths? Google comes up with a SAR site, that mentions Busse and other knives, but no mention of sheathmaking. Thx guys.

I think that his member name here is River-8. Search, and then send him a PM or email.

AFAIK the pouch that River-8 adds to his sheaths is unique. The opening and flap are arranged so that the user can open it while squatting or sitting. It occurs to me that he should copyright that design before some bag company poaches it.

AFAIK the pouch that River-8 adds to his sheaths is unique. The opening and flap are arranged so that the user can open it while squatting or sitting. It occurs to me that he should copyright that design before some bag company poaches it.
Very true! But, the nice thing about copyright is its automatic as he can show a time stamp from when he originally showed that design off, but it takes expensive lawyers to tell the other guy to "knock it off!"

He might be able to patent or trademark the design, again expensive, but well worth the trouble as that is one nice set up he has. :)

We've had a few things like that I'd love to protect, but its expensive and when utilities are difficult to pay, its just not worth the trouble, and everyone knows where the original is anyhow, in many other makers cases as well. :D

Hell, how bout this to blow your mind? A kydex lined leather sheath, that's ALSO lined with leather??? IOW's, you've got 3 layers! First up, is a thin layer of leather deep inside almost touching (but not quite) the blade, for scratch prevention. Next, you've got the main kydex body of the sheath, for ultra tight retention. Possibly with lightening slots throughout to keep this tri layered sheath's weight down. Then, finally, for those who want the look of leather, you coat the outside of the kydex with leather, thus resulting in a sheath that looks like the kydex lined leather sheath above. Wheeew! Was that confusing enough for everyone????

razorhunter, this is sort of the way Leatherman makes his Leather Kydex Fusion sheaths. Each piece of kydex has leather fused to both sides of it.

Here is a picture of three of these sheaths. The two black lines running along each sheath's edge is a layer of Kydex. The edges of the sheaths are smooth though. When you rub your finger across it you cannot feel all of the different layers, it just feels like on piece.

I have had / have sheaths from River 8, Leatherman, and Mikey Moto. They are all incredible. The Mikey Moto pin-lok I have for an Active Duty is a neat feature.

Brought that up with him a few times, not just for that pouch, but also other designs of his - Murse, Pest, Water Bottle Kit, etc. He's the Willy Wonka of cordura. Sometimes the Rube Goldberg. :)

He gave True North his PEST design that they've adapted for manufacture as the Aero-Vest. Not exactly the same, but close. :thumbup:

Has anyone mentioned Murf's Paw yet? I think he only does Kydex, but he did a really nice SYKCO 711/Leatherman tool piggyback sheath for me.

Yes sir, only kydex here. Thank you very much for the mention on here. I do only custom kydex to the individual knife, per the customer request. And a little holster work...... Very low volume....

I have owned soooooooo many sheaths, but for kydex it's Mashed Cat for me. I support all leather benders, but Armoralleather is my choice. Dwayne's kydex fusion is beautiful and bombproof. I need to get a set for all my INFI this next year.

Just in case anyone doesn't know, Spec-Ops now makes a version of their Combat Master sheath in leather.

Bit pricey at around $100. Don't have one, so I can't say what the quality is like.

I am quite surprised that more makers are not making molle compatible sheaths. Can anyone here comment on how it IS being done with the kydex sheaths?? I know Spec Ops combat master sheath addresses the issue at the TOP of the sheath (where one would normally attach the sheath to a belt), but how about down at the bottom of the sheath? Is there also a molle "loop" there as well, or is Spec Ops expecting the user to lash the bottom of the sheath via the paracord???
I know making any leather or kydex sheath molle compatible would be super easy, so I'm trying to find out who is making combat knife sheaths in kydex, and leather, (cordura/nylon would be nice too) that are molle compatible. "MOLLE compatible" meaning the proper way, not via secondary paracord lashing etc.
Basically interested in the following molle compatible sheaths for a Busse TGLB, which ALSO have the capability to use other means of attachment (teklock, direct belt attachment etc):

-lined kydex offered in various colors

-leather (probably black) with lined kydex insert capability

-other custom nylon/cordura sheaths like the spec ops offering

I am quite surprised that more makers are not making molle compatible sheaths. Can anyone here comment on how it IS being done with the kydex sheaths?? I know Spec Ops combat master sheath addresses the issue at the TOP of the sheath (where one would normally attach the sheath to a belt), but how about down at the bottom of the sheath? Is there also a molle "loop" there as well, or is Spec Ops expecting the user to lash the bottom of the sheath via the paracord???
I know making any leather or kydex sheath molle compatible would be super easy, so I'm trying to find out who is making combat knife sheaths in kydex, and leather, (cordura/nylon would be nice too) that are molle compatible. "MOLLE compatible" meaning the proper way, not via secondary paracord lashing etc.
Basically interested in the following molle compatible sheaths for a Busse TGLB, which ALSO have the capability to use other means of attachment (teklock, direct belt attachment etc):

-lined kydex offered in various colors

-leather (probably black) with lined kydex insert capability

-other custom nylon/cordura sheaths like the spec ops offering

What you ask for is actually very simple. Just use Molle-lok's they have the same hole spacing as a large Tek-lok.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1388600197259.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388600197259.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 58
  • uploadfromtaptalk1388600214811.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388600214811.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 57
  • uploadfromtaptalk1388600233131.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388600233131.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 50
  • uploadfromtaptalk1388600254410.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388600254410.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 64
Molle loc is definitely an option. How about Tactical Tailor malice clips guys? This has been a favorite product of mine lately, for numerous projects. Any of you sheath makers using them? Thx for the post J&G. I had seen that same group of pics in the sheath makers thread where you replied a while back, and had been wondering which method you were using there.

He's the Willy Wonka of cordura. Sometimes the Rube Goldberg. :)

"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."

Still here, and still knocking out the random sheath... :D
PM here, or E-mail: graphics*at*gorge.net

Cheers,
Rube, er; 8

p/s
c180, see you Sunday for Trees-N-Quiet?

Dwayne Puckett, aka leatherman, has always done great work for me.

LM2.jpg

Molle loc is definitely an option. How about Tactical Tailor malice clips guys? This has been a favorite product of mine lately, for numerous projects. Any of you sheath makers using them? Thx for the post J&G. I had seen that same group of pics in the sheath makers thread where you replied a while back, and had been wondering which method you were using there.

The MOLLE Lok is a superior attachment system for this application.

Interestingly, or perhaps not.....A fair number of military folks seem to favor 550 cord for attaching stuff like sheaths to MOLLE/PALS. I know of at least one "production" sheath that was designed specifically to be attached to MOLLE with 550 cord.

Back