Simply super steel 15n20

Hurrul

Gold Member
I'd not owned a knife in this elder formulation of steel, until this EDChef made the long journey from Canada to Montana a couple of years ago -
zPiWHBLl.jpg

THnSZWel.jpg

With the EDChef, I've seen this steel walk through 2 large cardboard boxes (new fridge and new oven), numerous whole chickens, vegetables, mail, and a little bit of one finger tip. One day, a sharpening session where in I reduced the inclusive edge angle, but really all it needed was a slight refresh on some diamond polishing compound to keep the edge seriously sharp...but simple super steels are fun to sharpen, and quick to respond to a stone and polish.

Along came another, a prototype Prevail XL "Slim", which quickly affirmed my keen interest in 15n20:
nJw8yBQl.jpg

81sXBUYl.jpg

In a heavier 5/32" stock, I realized this steel with a very lean edge, was still ready for fire prep, carving some sizzle stick, and many feet of cardboard...and I've yet to do much to the edge behind a periodic polish.

And now again, something new, something...worthy of forceful impact arrived from David a few days ago:
7MQ6mncl.jpg

jtANJsDl.jpg

A Hudson Bay rendition, worthy of some woods whacking and backyard fires. It intrigues me, that this steel can go from small knife needs, to large power swings (with properly applied geometry and heat treat for the task) and O look forward to this weekend, when I think the weather will hold solid for a solo stove fire.
ewU5jvXl.jpg

Thanks David, for the latest chapter in steel, and to everyone else, thanks for reading.

You’re very welcome and thank you for the post! 15N20 is a great steel. At 61 RC it can do just about anything.

Awesome stuff, I really wish more knives were available in it. David does it justice. So far, I've only got one knife in it (an EDChef XL) and it is a solid performer.

o6lXhKe.jpeg
According to this site: http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/15n20.shtml - 15n20 is similar to L6, which from my internet meandering has an old and storied history; both are known for toughness. Toughness is great for choppers, yet the attribute also shines at higher hardness with thin edges, since the toughness allows a thin edge to be supported and not quickly crumple...I think 8670 might live in this realm also?

nPDDwhU.jpeg

I failed to take pictures at the time but I had to cut up some 1" tower rope (32,000 lb break) the other day and this little weasel did amazing. I also had a BM grip with M4 but it hated the task. 15n20 is a fantastic steel.

This weasel rides in my right pocket opposite my microtech amphibian these days. I find them to be a great pair.

nPDDwhU.jpeg

I failed to take pictures at the time but I had to cut up some 1" tower rope (32,000 lb break) the other day and this little weasel did amazing. I also had a BM grip with M4 but it hated the task. 15n20 is a fantastic steel.

This weasel rides in my right pocket opposite my microtech amphibian these days. I find them to be a great pair.
Really like the blade shape on that one, with a gentle edge curvature leading to a fine, precise tip.

According to this site: http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/15n20.shtml - 15n20 is similar to L6, which from my internet meandering has an old and storied history; both are known for toughness. Toughness is great for choppers, yet the attribute also shines at higher hardness with thin edges, since the toughness allows a thin edge to be supported and not quickly crumple...I think 8670 might live in this realm also?
I know David and I both have an affinity for 15N20, & 8670.....personally idk yet Which one I like more? I always assumed 15N20.
but out of curiosity I made a large, thin, super Hard kitchen knife out of 8670, and it's really surprising the edge it keeps. and it's abused in our household..... What I'd like to do is make same knives with different steels, and finally decide which wins. That would be a fun pass- around, maybe next year? idk.

Both steels are Amazing for edc and Beaters......I know 15N20 is great in the kitchen, but idk what it can max out to?
David Mary David Mary have you ever taken 15N20 super Hard like 63-64HRC in kitchen ware? I bet it would be pretty sweet?

Yeah, maybe not over 63 for 15n20.....still a Beast of a steel!

I don't feel the need for 8670 on anything anymore. Maybe if I make more swords I will use it, or if someone specifically requests a run of 8670 blades. Otherwise, 15N20 at 61 RC has more than proved itself to me to be outstanding for anything from a small fine cutting knife to a large chopper and everything in between, for work, food, and hard use. My position on this is guided by my appreciation of balance in a cutlery steel, rather than trying to maximize any one characteristic. Would an 8670 chopper at lower hardness be tougher, all other things being equal? Yes. Would a 64 HRC kitchen knife in 8670 have a harder edge and require less time between sharpening sessions? Probably. Is the difference enough that you'll notice without taking systematic measurements and notes? Probably not.

I have a few 8670 blanks left and when they are gone that may be the end of that chapter for me. Or not. Who knows. But I definitely like 8670 too.

I don't feel the need for 8670 on anything anymore. Maybe if I make more swords I will use it, or if someone specifically requests a run of 8670 blades. Otherwise, 15N20 at 61 RC has more than proved itself to me to be outstanding for anything from a small fine cutting knife to a large chopper and everything in between, for work, food, and hard use. My position on this is guided by my appreciation of balance in a cutlery steel, rather than trying to maximize any one characteristic. Would an 8670 chopper at lower hardness be tougher, all other things being equal? Yes. Would a 64 HRC kitchen knife in 8670 have a harder edge and require less time between sharpening sessions? Probably. Is the difference enough that you'll notice without taking systematic measurements and notes? Probably not.

I have a few 8670 blanks left and when they are gone that may be the end of that chapter for me. Or not. Who knows. But I definitely like 8670 too.

I think the real problem is too many good steels.
Seriously.
I don't have that many that I don't like.

Realistically, I could get by with AEB-L for everything.
Except I occasionally like blotchy knives, too

Back