Singer/songwriter John Prine: A Case knife man

A collection of trinkets and photos that the late, great John Prine would bring up on stage are on display at the folk section of the "State of Sound" exhibit at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library & Museum in Springfield, Illinois. Looks like he favored a Case yella slimline trapper!

StateofSoundPrine_0.jpg

NPR has a story on the exhibit.

Pretty cool to find out one of my favorite musicians had such good taste in cutlery!

GettyImages-993701220-e1588688750782.jpg

-- Mark

One of the greats we lost to Covid. I was binge watching him on youtube just a few days ago.

btb01 btb01 - he does Angel From Montgomery as a duet with Bonnie Raitt (who also does a great version of the song) many times througout the years.

I'm partial to Paradise, but so many good songs.

One of the greats we lost to Covid. I was binge watching him on youtube just a few days ago.

btb01 btb01 - he does Angel From Montgomery as a duet with Bonnie Raitt (who also does a great version of the song) many times througout the years.

I'm partial to Paradise, but so many good songs.

He was actually dying from terminal cancer, covid just took him out a little earlier. He came to Saskatoon twice. The first time he was drunk and rude to his fans. I took it personally and did not listen to him for about 15 years. Then one day I saw a new cd by him, bought it, and thought immediately, Why did I forsake this guy for one bad performance? The second time he came to Saskatoon, about 23 years later, he put on a really great show. So many great songs with great lyrics!!

He was actually dying from terminal cancer, covid just took him out a little earlier. He came to Saskatoon twice. The first time he was drunk and rude to his fans. I took it personally and did not listen to him for about 15 years. Then one day I saw a new cd by him, bought it, and thought immediately, Why did I forsake this guy for one bad performance? The second time he came to Saskatoon, about 23 years later, he put on a really great show. So many great songs with great lyrics!!
He had cancer, wasn't diagnosed as terminal as far as I know. Had his first surgery for it in 1998, second in 2013 and was touring again 6 months later. He mighta had a few more good years.
I hope that hasn't been a hot button issue here too.

He had cancer, wasn't diagnosed as terminal as far as I know. Had his first surgery for it in 1998, second in 2013 and was touring again 6 months later. He mighta had a few more good years.
I hope that hasn't been a hot button issue here too.
No sir, definitely not a hot button issue for me. I should not have mentioned it, best to keep any controversy out.

Great to see the Souvenirs of the man himself. I was sad to see him go. He was an incredible songwriter and my favorite musician. Thanks for posting this, I'm gonna link to this thread in one we started about John when he passed.

It's funny how life goes sometimes. I was only born in 72 but my older brother and sister both listened to all kinds of 60's & 70's music witch made me into a huge fan of it myself witch is why I was totally blown away when by pure accident I discovered John Prine for the first time on YouTube Singing Lake Marie in 2019.😲 He even did a show in my home town the year previous but his name ment nothing to me at the time. 😂 Oh well I'm just greatful that I'm able to hear his music at all. Better late then never I say lol. ✊

I blare music most of the day while working at home. t.willy t.willy , Lake Marie is a favorite and one of my most played according to my music library. For anyone that may have left off in the 70’s or 80’s, The Tree of Forgiveness (2018) is excellent.

Not surprised he carried a Case.

Last edited:
Of course he was a "Traditional knife" kind of guy!
Got to see him a few years back, Iris Demint opend for him, then they did a couple together, including "In Spite of Ourselves". It was about a 3 hour show or longer, great time!

HC8ZMz7.jpg

Last edited:
Of course he was a "Traditional knife" kind of guy!
Got to see him a few years back, Iris Demint opend for him, then they did a couple together, including "In Spite of Ourselves". It was about a 3 hour show or longer, great time!

That's the only song of his that I've heard that I actually liked.

I wonder what kind of knife Tom Waits carries? hmmmm.....

Back