Single Edge Razor

Purchased a Gem G Guard off of the 'bay and just received it today.

Used a Gem single edge blade and lathered up with Arko.

First off, Arko has a funky smell to it. Kind of like a commercial hand soap. Reminded me of a men's restroom smell. Nice lather, but the smell isn't for me.

Now for the razor. This thing is a bit aggressive, and the audible feedback is loud. But in all, no cuts and just the slightest bit of razor burn, very minor and only in that tough spot under my chin. Overall a very close shave... but you need to have a very light touch.

I bought the razor on a whim just because it feels cool to have a single edge option. It was about $11 shipped and the Gem blades were $14 for 40. Figured a good way to try a SE razor without dropping the big bucks like the Mongoose. I realize they are not the same config, but close.

Would I recommend it.... yes. Is it my favorite shaver, no. But I'm only one shave in.

Let me know if anyone else is a SE guy or gal. Would like to hear your thoughts.

c5961f0911a5720d02a266db4722255f.jpg

The Gem SE's are great performing razors, I have a few different ones and I like them all.
I prefer DE's because of greater blade choice but I could get by with SE with no problem.

The Gems give a super close shave and the audible feedback is a great feature I think.
Enjoy your Gem, it should give you many years of nice shaves.

I agree that the SE is a good starting point. I didn't start with that razor but if I could do it again, I would have started with an DE.

Bought a Gem a few years ago, for the same reason you did. Wanted to try a SE.
Got a fine shave, and would make it part of my rotation except for the price of blades.

DE blades (esp. Russian) are so inexpensive--and I am so frugal--that I hate to use
the more spendy blades.

Back