Single features that kill a design for you?

I frequently find myself NOT buying a knife for one little reason. For me, one of the biggest design killers is a glass breaker on the knife. I understand the utility of a glass breaker in certain situations, but I would never want one on my knife. Another killer is assisted opening, which is really upsetting because Kershaw/ZT happen to make a ton of great knives that are AO. Does anyone else have specific features that they try to stay away from in knives?

"Tip down" only pocket clips is one of them.I'm sure for some it's the opposite.

I won't buy a knife with serrations, never had a reason to use them, and I hate the way a combo edge looks. I keep my knives as sharp as i possibly can, and whenever I use them I always check my edge to make sure the knife is still hair popping sharp, If it's not I go to the strop, If the strop doesn't bring it back I'll go to stones. Also if a knife has proprietary screws in them ( microtech), and you will void your warranty on this companies knives if you buy a proprietary screw tool , and take the knife apart. That really turned me off of a really good knife design IMO , the fact that it didn't use torx screws and disassemble voids your warranty. Unacceptable to me on a 270.00 knife ( socom elite FWIW)

Serrations, lack of a pocket clip, assisted opening, chisel/zero grinds, bulk, soft/fragile steels, pinned construction, and/or a weight of over 6oz.

I have to be able to use it with confidence, be able to carry it easily, be able to adjust it, and be able to sharpen it.

Serrations, overly thick blade stock, short handles, overly aggressive jimping. I also am veering away from knives with real thick geometries as well.

I used to love A/O but now with IKBS I find it redundant. These are my list of things that will KILL a purchase for me. If any knife has these features I wont buy them. It really really limits my potentials but in my situation thats probably a good thing

1. Washer construction. I only buy bearing pivot knives these days. The only knives I accept with washers are autos. But again with bearings i find myself only buying OTF autos.

2. A/O - Now that im a bearing addict I have no need for assisted opening. Just more stuff to break.

3. Coated blades - I make exceptions here and there but I mostly despise coated blades

4. Knives without pocket clips. I dont care for sheaths except for storage. If I cant clip it, I usually flip it.

5. Skate tape anything. I dont want sandpaper on my knife.

6. Proprietary hardware- If i need to buy a new wrench or if the hardware will get damaged by adjustments you can keep it.

7. Serrations- If i wanted to tear something apart ill do it with my hands

8. Extreme recurves- I prefer not to spend eternity in sharpening hell.

9. Lock backs, slip joints, and friction folders- I have no use for thes knives. And no quick or witty comment.

10. Customs- Ive had them and as much as I love the look of a good custom I cant bring myself to use them. Then I get guilty for them just collecting dust and I sell them. Though i do regret the sale of a couple of them. They were irreplaceable and I should have known better.

The un-necessary geegawks that look "cool" but serve no real need. Insert here a lot of features from oversized pommels to stupid fingerguards, to pre-formed handles (one grip and none else), etc... there are many. The pocket clip is among them : what's the problem of drilling two (four) three (six) more holes to have an ambidextrous and point up / point down carry position ? Machining costs ? Really ? Spare the fancy sheath and give me some more useability. Honest.

What I don't like in a folder:
1. Unbalanced feel. A knife that is too blade heavy and does not have the same heft in the handle. The Hogue series in Gmascus is a good example.
2. Pocket clips as an after thought. A knife that is well balanced, solid, that cuts well is great, unless half the folder is sticking proud of your pocket for the world to see.
3. Wide or tall handles by the pivot/blade. Some knives just don't do it for me, especially when the index fonger and thumb placememnt is so far apart it's awkward when using it for a particularly heavy cut.

"Tip down" only pocket clips is one of them.I'm sure for some it's the opposite.

Blasphemy! :p

Serrations.
And the lack of ability to take apart (pinned construction, proprietary screws, etc, etc.)

I can live with most variations, depending on the knife. But I don't like Persian style blades that curve upward. Just not for me.

Too thick knives. Blades don't cut well for my use/needs and uncomfortable to carry.

Serrations, super shallow carry pocket clip, recurved blades all turn me off big time.

A few "turn-offs" that come to mind.

Recurve blades.
Liner locks.
Serrations.
Black plastic handles. FRN, zytel, micarta, G10, carbon fiber, etc. (this despite the fact that my EDC is plastic. :eek: )

My two:

- assisted opening mechanisms
- the word "Strider" appearing anywhere on them

I won't buy a knife with serrations, never had a reason to use them, and I hate the way a combo edge looks. I keep my knives as sharp as i possibly can, and whenever I use them I always check my edge to make sure the knife is still hair popping sharp, If it's not I go to the strop, If the strop doesn't bring it back I'll go to stones. Also if a knife has proprietary screws in them ( microtech), and you will void your warranty on this companies knives if you buy a proprietary screw tool , and take the knife apart. That really turned me off of a really good knife design IMO , the fact that it didn't use torx screws and disassemble voids your warranty. Unacceptable to me on a 270.00 knife ( socom elite FWIW)

Right on brother!!!!! You and I feel the exact same!!!! You put it a heck of a lot better than I ever could.

Dan

Right on brother!!!!! You and I feel the exact same!!!! You put it a heck of a lot better than I ever could.

Dan

Looks, it's as simple as that. The first thing that turns me off to a knife is if I don't like the way it looks.

- Spring assist
- excessively thick blade stock
- poor cutting geometry
- proprietary screws
- pinned construction
- combo edge
- bad ergos

Assisted opening is a big one. And serrations. I actually passed on a grail of mine a couple weekends ago at a show because it was part serrated. I may never see another example of this particular knife again, but I couldn't deal with the serrations. I know I would have regretted it.

Back