Single features that kill a design for you?

Sometimes the price tag isn't end user friendly.
Does that count as a design feature? :p

Sentences of info written on the blade. Limited edition one of one million blah blah blah stfu.

No option for uncoated blades in M4.

I have a strong preference for tip up simply because I decided long ago to stick with one clip orientation. I can do tip down but I really have to like the knife to get it.

I pass on serrated blades also.

Combo edge
AO

If I need a rope cutter it will be the full monty, not a combo and the AO is just another mechanism to fail.

Am I the first to say serrations? Nope not by a long shot, and I expected that lol.

Either full serrations, which I then consider a purpose built cordage (or steak hehe) knife or full plain, which is then a multipurpose knife, as they should all be.

In no particular order but choils, choils and choils. Especially if its a smallish blade. Come on, really, why would you need a choil on a 3" blade. 5" or bigger fixed blade, sure why not, it looks cool.

Other deal killers would include pinned construction, chisel grinds, serrations, and did I mention choils? Also, oversized handle compared to blade length, cheap handle material, crappy steel, and probably any knife approved by the TSA (remains to be seen).

My issue with choils on small knives is its already a small blade, dont take away the cutting edge. If you must include one, please place it directly under the pivot

Bear Grylls on the package, with that deer in the headlights stare that Gerber photoshops onto various nature scenes is one absolute deal breaker.

If a knife isn't visually pleasing, is assisted/auto open, has serrated, or less than 3 1/2" blade, I'm out---most of the time.

Knives not made in the country they are designed in by a lesser/under paid workforce.

Small screws

Overly busy designs.

Bear Grylls on the package, with that deer in the headlights stare that Gerber photoshops onto various nature scenes is one absolute deal breaker.

^^RIGHT ON!! If that turd is selling, I ain't buying!

Also, I veer away from some under-ergo'd handle designs. Micarta scales that are too square (Ontario and Tops do this to me often), or a handle that is lacks ergonomic curves (like one of the designs Cold Steel favors) are deal breakers for me.

In no particular order but choils, choils and choils. Especially if its a smallish blade. Come on, really, why would you need a choil on a 3" blade. 5" or bigger fixed blade, sure why not, it looks cool.

My issue with choils on small knives is its already a small blade, dont take away the cutting edge. If you must include one, please place it directly under the pivot

I'm the exact opposite on this, I only like choils on very small knives. On a big knife with a comfy handle, I don't see the point. On an itty bitty knife, though? A nice finger choil can make even a tiny compatible with a full or almost full four finger grip (e.g. on a Spyderco Kopa or Dragonfly or on a Cold Steel Mini Tuff Lite).

I'm the exact opposite on this, I only like choils on very small knives. On a big knife with a comfy handle, I don't see the point. On an itty bitty knife, though? A nice finger choil can make even a tiny compatible with a full or almost full four finger grip (e.g. on a Spyderco Kopa or Dragonfly or on a Cold Steel Mini Tuff Lite).

Im with you on this. If it is a big knife then for me the addition of a choil isnt going to allow for delicate cutting work. I prefer a choil on a small knife for superior control.

Thumbhole

Liner lock

Frame lock

Serrations

Tanto

Chisel grind

Hollow grind

Blade coatings (though not a deal breaker because so many companies make such great knives with them, but I do hate, loath and despise coated blades. Why should I suffer for the small minority of knife owners who are too stupid to know how to properly maintain a knife?)

Anything not made in America

Anything I can't work on (pivots, auto open oddities, etc.)

I also am not crazy about overly soft steels in fixed blade knives unless it's a machete or some such. I've had a couple of fixed blade knives from a very popular brand that rolled way too often for my liking.

Overly thick blades on knives which shouldn't have them.

Scandi grinds which are 1/8" tall. Why?

The list goes on...

Oh I forgot choils. I freaking hate choils. I swear, the next time I am cutting something and it gets caught up in the choil, I'm going to lose my mind. I have one knife left with a choil and I like it so much I haven't sold it. But I'm getting there.

Being a lefty, non reversible pocket clips. Also ramps on fixed blades, I dont think they are necessary for my uses.

Mostly price tag, functionality, and looks. Cheap knives are fine, as long as they're relatively functional. No replicas/fantasy knives, I'm likely to avoid anything where I don't trust the lockup or blade strength, anything that seems to be heavy on blade play, that sort of thing will generally rule out a knife for me, cheap or pricy. As far as pricy goes, so far I have yet to find an expensive knife whose features are enough superior to the features of a $200(or less, for that matter) knife to warrant the extra price. That said, then comes my other thing-looks. If a knife looks great, I might consider paying the extra price for it even if the features themselves don't justify the extra price...so far though, I haven't found any production knives that look good enough to pay more than $150 or so(the Cold Steel Espada XL comes close, despite NOT being worth that price from a materials standpoint). Seen some nice customs though, and I'm sure one day I'll get one. On the other end of the spectrum, if I totally dislike the looks of the knife, I'll likely not own one either, again, no matter how great or cheap it is. If someone wanted to sell me a genuine Sebby for $10 on the condition that I HAVE to keep it and can't sell it, I wouldn't be interested. So basically, being very junky will drive me away, being ugly will drive me away, and being too expensive will drive me away unless the knife is aesthetically appealing enough for me to consider overlooking the price. Oh, and no counterfeits.

Other things don't bother me. Assisted open is fine for me, I like them actually, but I won't shy away from non-AO's either. Likewise, I dislike opening holes(give me a set of thumbstuds ANY day), yet I am totally willing to buy Spyderco and Byrd stuff. I prefer plain edged knives to serrated, and prefer full serrated to combo edge, yet I own knives of all 3 sorts. I prefer tip up carry, but I own plenty of tip-down only models as well. And so on...

Back