Single features that kill a design for you?

Anything made by Emerson. I understand they are great knives, and a lot of people love them. But they just look goofy to me. Also:

Serrations
Asissted Opening
Tanto
the word CHINA on the blade (Im not totally against overseas prodcuced knives, just dont bother printing it please)
Not printing the blade steel on the blade
Bear Grylls also
Knives that cost over $90 made of AUS8 steel or worse.

I dont mind thumbstuds and I love me a good spyderhole :)

Assisted Opening. Don't need it and it causes more trouble than good with the law.

Not a fan of:

• Thick blade geometry
  • Crummy pocket clips on otherwise well thought-out knives
  • Assisted opening
  • Chisel grinds on knives with conventional blade profiles
  • Poor ergonomics
  • Designs that don't take the chosen blade steel's performance characteristics into account (diminished benefit)
  • Knives that had more money sunk into their looks than into their function
  • Boring black (usually have to shut up and deal with this one, but I prefer color)
  • Heavy cosmetic recurves (kukris and the like are exceptions as they're functional curves)
  • Overbuilt designs
  • Underbuilt designs

The main deal breaker for me is coated blades. I wouldn't ever consider a tanto blade so that point is moot. I despise stripes on a blade as well. Also an opening hole on any knife that isn't a Spyderco.

So, with a near-consensus against serrations who exactly are buying these blades?
-StaTiK-

Laypersons. Or those doing a decent amount of fibrous material cutting. I'm usually not a fan of serrations but in the rare cases where they're appropriate for my tasks I prefer FULL serrations. None of that combo edge nonsense. :)

I don't like:
-Combo Edges
-Serrations (although I would buy full serrations on a salt series with H1 if I were to buy one)
-I don't like blade coatings (Specifically on folders, On my BK-9, it doesn't matter)
-Not a big fan of AO.
-Recurves

What kills it for me...

1. Recurve/Organic Blade Shapes
2. Ugly Pocket Clips
3. Overly Aggressive Handle Texture (My jeans cost cost more than most of my knives)
4. Assisted Opening (I'm ok with it, I own quite a few but I would love them more if they were manual)

Last edited:
Assisted Opening and serrations will make me pass 99% of the time...tho I do love the CPM-154 Blur I made manual, so nothing set in stone I suppose.

Blade coatings and Serations including combo edge. Hate serrations.

I can put up with a lot thing in a knife.
1# on my list is a choil that's too big and takes away cutting edge which I much rather have. I don't use chiols.
Spyderco has a designer..whose last starts with an s and ends with a p. He won't design a knife without a choil at least 5/8 long.
His choils are deal breaker for me.

I hate big holes in the blade. This instantly makes a blade weak. I often look at renewing Spyderco assortment with a hope to buy one and see that diameters of their holes are only increasing! I imagine that I will sharpen this knife time to time coming closer and coser to this hole..weak blade becomes weaker with each sharpening process. Couldn`t they have done an oval hole like Strider at least? That will solve the problem for me.

And if a hole their necessary brand mark, they can make some knives with no drilled holes. Only draw it. Like SpydercO where big O as stylized big hole. I will gladly buy a Military and some other spydercos without hole :) Thumb stud will be also appreciated :)

Last edited:
I don't like leather sheaths or holsters, it drives me crazy that nearly every decent fixed knife comes with one. At least give me an option.

Biggest deal killers for me-

- Liner locks
- Crazy serrations, or excessive serrations, or serrations in general...
- Tantos... tanto points... anything tanto-ized
- A price tag of over 100 bucks.
- Gimmicky features like firestarters, wire cutters on a pocketknife, etc... If I wanted a multi-tool, I'd carry a multi-tool
- Distracting colors or designs
- A bead-blast finish that's just going to develop rust spots for that one time I forget to oil the blade
- A knife that's TOO light. I doesn't have to weigh as much as a brick, but I like a pocketknife with at least some solidness and weight.

Xiuxiu1313`s new boker vid continues to prove the "made in china" problems. Unfinished titanium, non carbidized frame lock,parts out of place

Back