Sir Snark-A-Lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just found out that Chris (BePrepared), one of our fellow Beckerheads, was killed in an auto accident on Saturday. Not sure if this is old news or not for y'all, but it's news to me. He was one of my first customers, and I had several really good chats with him, and was planning on meeting up with him this trip to chop some stuff. Really bummed to hear of his passing. If you haven't done already, send up some smoke and prayers for his family.

Wow,

You just never know when your card is gonna get punched.
Prayers for his family and friends.

Found something to try out at the Becker gatherings..
[video=youtube_share;zleVA9yxdm8]http://youtu.be/zleVA9yxdm8[/video]

I drive a ford probe gt. Gets around 20 mpg how I drive it. So far it's been good, I've only had to fix a few little things here and their. I actually just got new tires for it today, after I picked up the tires, it threw a check engine light. Something with the idle air control valve. I really hope it's just a vacume leak or loose connection, I really don't have money to fix it :cool:

an IACV is like $30 and three screws IIRC. Go find a ford message board somewhere and ask about the code there, it's probably a cheap fix.

Sucks to hear about Beprepared, I believe I spoke to him a few times when I first joined this forum. Seemed like a nice guy.

Smoke and prayers. I didn't know Chris at all but it's gotta be tough for everyone that did.

Looks good! Get to grinding!

Practiced a little bit already on a piece of scrap, more to come tomorrow.

Sweet looking set up WW!

Thanks mate, its on now :D

Let us know how that one runs WW. Fingers crossed for you.

The belt doesnt rub this time, it runs freely through with no problem. Even the trizact belt seems to have enough room. Tracking is not perfect but manageable. The belt still bounces a small amount as well... But no where near as bad as the first one.

However the box came in worse shape this time. I made a video and took pictures before even opening it because i just KNEW it was going to be messed up. There are a few dings and scratches.... But over all i can use it, and will be keeping this one. I think once i add a ceramic platen the belt may be a little more snug on the platen and run a bit smoother.

That is cool WW! Let me know how you like it.

I might be in the market for one of those by next summer.

Jeremy

If you can find one in stores id highly recommend doing so. Having almost a year to look id just keep my eyes open, or maybe ask the local sears to order it for you when your ready so you can look at it before you pay for it. I have read about so many people having issues and havin to return their first one. I read 1 guy went through 3 of them in a row and just gave up. Im too determined to let the small things bother me much so ill make do... But the way they ship these things is a joke. The Styrofoam inside is thin in several places and hardly enough protection for the way UPS handles boxes, the styrofoam was already broke in several spots when i opened it and little pieces of foam were all over everything.

I think the tool itself could very well be a great tool for people like me thats on a budget and cant afford a higher priced grinder, but the way they are shipping them is likely responsible for most the issues i have ran into.

Wow sucks to hear a fellow Beckerhead died. Thoughts and prayers to his friends and fa mily.

On a lighter note, do most of you use phones or computers to visit the forum? My pc is on the fritz a.d posting from.my phone is a pain in the ass.. Just curious

Just found out that Chris (BePrepared), one of our fellow Beckerheads, was killed in an auto accident on Saturday. Not sure if this is old news or not for y'all, but it's news to me. He was one of my first customers, and I had several really good chats with him, and was planning on meeting up with him this trip to chop some stuff. Really bummed to hear of his passing. If you haven't done already, send up some smoke and prayers for his family.

Very sad to hear. Sending out some prayers.

Wow, that's just crazy.

Damn,just found out my best friend succombed to meningitis in argentina an hour ago as well....that is just too crazy,staying home tonight.

Seriously though, I hope it heels up quick and nothing really bad comes of it. What did you cut it with?

It's pretty raggedy lookin', really more of a tear than a cut. But it's not even bleeding anymore when I tear the bandage off to clean it and put a new one on, so I'm sure it'll be fine.

As for how... let's just say I did something dumb, the workpiece got yanked out of my hands rather quickly, and now there's an unfinished blade blank stuck about an inch deep in the wall below/behind my bench to remind me not to do that anymore. The blank was neither pointy nor sharp yet, so what does that tell ya...

It's a good time to remind everyone buying all those fancy new power tools... they are a helluva lot stronger than you, and they're designed to tear through things a helluva lot tougher than you. Just remember bouys and gals,... whenever you hear or feel anything that doesn't seem right (and I guarantee it will happen sooner or later if you work in a knifeshop long enough) BACK AWAY and LET GO. If I had tried to hold onto that piece I might be missing most of a finger instead of just having a minor cut...

Take one step back and hit the kill switch. Then take several steps to the side until the dust clears and your heart stops pounding. DO NOT try to grab anything falling or flying. It's not a bad idea to practice this procedure kinda like a fire drill (without any machines running of course)... because when things go wrong, they often go wrong QUICK.

Well, on a note of not sadness, I did something I've been wanting to do ever since I got my 0560: reprofile the edge. Wasn't sure I was up to the task, but I found the X-coarse stone (I'd forgotten I ordered it...) for my DMT Aligner and decided I'd see if I could not ruin my nicest folder. I love the size and action of it, but the steel's pretty thick and the edge thicker; not the edge profile I like to carry every day. Came out pretty good. first time I've even come close to push-cutting paper.

15273600422_7ca0f60c6d_b.jpg

Not perfect, but then again nothing I have ever done is (excluding my children ;))....

15087285170_1fed9fb188_b.jpg

15087238499_34fbe19ec9_b.jpg

Still working on making a strop for the diamond paste I picked up at a substantial (60%) discount a few weeks ago....

After I read this, I went back through the Austin news reports and found a few details. He was driving a Nissan Xterra southbound on IH-35 in downtown Austin, apparently drifted/veered out of the right lane onto the shoulder and ran into the back of an 18-wheeler that had stopped on the shoulder of the highway for a tire problem. Occurred about 3:20 a.m. He was the only person in the Nissan and the truck driver was not injured. No other details available. The accident is still under investigation by DPS (state troopers).

After I read this, I went back through the Austin news reports and found a few details. He was driving a Nissan Xterra southbound on IH-35 in downtown Austin, apparently drifted/veered out of the right lane onto the shoulder and ran into the back of an 18-wheeler that had stopped on the shoulder of the highway for a tire problem. Occurred about 3:20 a.m. He was the only person in the Nissan and the truck driver was not injured. No other details available. The accident is still under investigation by DPS (state troopers).

huh, his FB was updated 8 hours ago. weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back