Sisno and ningrok springtime appearances

Howard Wallace

If you’re up for some backcountry Nepalese cuisine ningrok and sisno are making their springtime appearance here in the PNW, and elsewhere in their range.

E4A122CF-2FC1-4196-90A8-560F9607FBB0.jpeg

The sisno is in its prime when young, later developing cystolyths that make it less savory, although that didn’t stop Milarepa from enjoying them through the seasons. I like gathering them in quantity at the optimal springtime phase, and then freezing enough for the year.

57D657A6-9833-4943-8A59-5EFD259915A3.jpeg

For gathering in quantity nothing beats a doka, or the western equivalent packbasket. Easy to fill because it maintains its shape, and easy to pack out.

You’ll notice the knife in use wasn’t a khukuri. Although the sisno put up a formidable defense, they do not seem impressed by the size of the knife. Gloves are fairly effective armor, but don’t expect to come out of the field unwounded.

Click the hot links on the names for links to the cookbook. Or you can try to tease more recipes from the HI crew.

Sisno is great for soup or soothe side dish

I could not find ningrok here

I clicked! But didnt do nothin but give me the munchies now! Man that sounds so good!

Really Khul basket Howard! Did you make it! Love it! Like to hear more on them!

Really Khul basket Howard! Did you make it! Love it! Like to hear more on them!
The little basket was a gift from my son. It was made by Amish basket makers. The big pack basket was handmade, but not by me. Baskets are very useful for not crushing foraged items
Edit: Ok, I’m just getting used to the new forum software. The quotes above are messed up.

Back