six flags is not knife friendly

SpyderJon said:
As far as metal detectors and the like, its one of the reasons I don't go to amusement parks. I'm sorry, I only want to ride some rollercoasters, not enter "the yard."

Ha ha ha ha ha... Good point, SpyderJon.

If news accounts of the last few years are accurate, I think amusement park RIDES are a bigger danger to patrons than knife-wielding assailants.*

*I'm not accusing BF members of being bad people, merely repeating the rationale the parks probably use when customers complain.

Artfully Martial said:
They usually have metal detectors at the entrance. They've had them for as long as I can remember, which is a good 15 years or so....way before the fake security craze. No idea why.

They use it as an excuse to search for food/beverages. They want you to buy their overpriced crap.

The real reason behind all of this , in California anyways is gangs.
Both MM and Disney had tons of problems with gangs , fights , stabbings , overdoses you name it. Yea , believe it or not gang members go to amusement parks too.
Security at both places has lists of known gangs , gang tattoos and even known members , I have heard that it they identify you by what colors or laces or tattoos , etc you are wearing , they will point blank let you know , that they know about you.. dont know if that part is true or not. If they check your smokes , they are looking for joints.
Anyways they could not have these scumbags carrying in whatever they pleased and ruining business , cant blame them really.

If your going to be bummed at anyone be bummed at the worthless scum that ruin fun for everyone else.

rebeltf beat me to it. Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia, California has a lousy gang problem. There have been several documented stabbings there.

I make a point of not carrying my knife if I am going to an amusement park, night club, sports arena, airport, government building, etc.

Unfortunately, knowing when to leave your knife at home is part of being a modern day knife carrier. :(

This thread reminds me of something an old timer once told me. "An armed society is a polite society". Wonder how true it would be now days.

Esav, would you please explain the Perrin Bracelet. How is it used?

Esav Benyamin said:
I've been wearing my Perrin bracelet constantly since I got it. I also carry a cane. Taking my pocket knife from me is a total waste of security effort, totally deluded.

It's all a back-door way to disarm us: sure you can carry a knife, you just can't take it with you when you enter anywhere. Ridiculous.

A couple of years ago I went to a motorcycle show in the Phoenix area, and was told I couldn't bring in my Victoronix Swiss tool. Another friend of mine, who's a firefighter with the USFS, couldn't bring in his knife. It was a mile walk back to our bikes. Even though we tried to tell the mall ninja guard that some vendors sell knives at these shows, the doofus wouldn't believe it.

So when we get back to the entrance after taking our knives back to our bikes, my buddy tells the security guard that he'll go into this show and buy a knife then bring it back to show him. Guard says no way. Sure enough, there was more than one vendor at the show selling knives. He bought some $10 cheap knife with a 4 inch blade and shows the security guard on the way out. The security guard just stood there with a stupid look on his face.

K2500 said:
This thread reminds me of something an old timer once told me. "An armed society is a polite society". Wonder how true it would be now days.
The quote was from Robert A. Heinlein, a science fiction author.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. "

And I agree whole heartedly.

Kref,

I have also made that trip to Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia, back to the car in the parking lot. Over five years ago they had that policy in place. It didn't both me one bit. Sense I was early to arrive and was parked in the front row it was a short walk back to the car. But I was not offended by their rules. Hey, it's private property and your a guest. But think of what could happen if:
The item in your pocket flies out and hits some one in the nugget.:eek:
Or gets dropped in the no mans land, around one of the attractions.
Their rules will let you keep your knife, tomorrow and the day after. Unless you drop it in the parking lot!

jmccullough32 said:
... the Perrin Bracelet. How is it used?
It's not a full oval, it's made of stainless steel wire strands woven together, and forged into smooth ends with about an inch gap. Not that I would think of it, but you could take it off, hold it with the "horns" facing out, and rip half of someone's face off with it. :)

Dollywood in Gatlinburg,Tennessee is still knife friendly. Of course there is not a lot of "Gang" activity in that part of Tennessee. If you do head that way Smokey Mountain Knife Works is an entertaining place as well.

Jeff Pelz said:
Kref,

I have also made that trip to Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia, back to the car in the parking lot. Over five years ago they had that policy in place. It didn't both me one bit. Sense I was early to arrive and was parked in the front row it was a short walk back to the car. But I was not offended by their rules. Hey, it's private property and your a guest. But think of what could happen if:
The item in your pocket flies out and hits some one in the nugget.:eek:
Or gets dropped in the no mans land, around one of the attractions.
Their rules will let you keep your knife, tomorrow and the day after. Unless you drop it in the parking lot!

And I respect private property rights (even when I disagree with the policy). My complaint is that the restriction on knives isn't clearly communicated before you get through the gate. This is what Six Flags America has on it's website

http://www.sixflags.com/parks/america/ParkInfo/parkpolicies.html

"SAFE, SECURE PARK ENTRY: Guests will pass through an electronic security screening system at the Front Gate turnstiles. Six Flags America reserves the right to inspect all Guest packages, purses, backpacks and fanny packs prior to entering the park. Please leave any unnecessary articles in your vehicle to expedite your entry. We recommend that you secure such items in the trunk of your vehicle."

I guess my point is that it would have been easy enough to say in this part "knives and sprays are not allowed in the park" which is what the guard told me. The unnecessary articles language doesn't do it for me. That says we are going to look into your bags, so leave what you don't need in the car.

Kref

I once went to Six Flags with a SAK in my pocket.

I walked through the metal detector, and it beeped.
The guy told me to go through again, so I did.
It beeped again.
He then told me I could go.

:confused:

I take my knives everywhere...except amusement parks, and clubs...funny, because I've never been hassled at a bar for carrying, have actually had bartenders ask what I'm carrying and then show me their blades. At least here in L.A. amusement parks and nightclubs have had gang problems (hence the crooked cap rules) with fights and stabbings happening at times. To be honest, I'd rather noone be able to bring in a knife, including punks, because most of them suck at hand to hand without a weapon, and even without my knives I can handle myself. Besides, I wouldn't want some a**hole cutting a loved one. Leave them in the car and respect private property rules, or just don't patronize the establishments anymore...

moving-van.jpg

They use it as an excuse to search for food/beverages. They want you to buy their overpriced crap.

Take whatever you want with you. Food, drinks, bottles of water. If they complain tell them that you are HyperGlycemic and your doctor requires you to keep food on you at all times.

They wont mess with you. The last thing they want is a lawsuit. This trick has worked for me twice in the past. Just make sure you act sincere, and reassuring when you confront them.

The last time I went to Six Flags they stopped me about 10 minutes after I had entered the park and told me that I would have to go to the souvenir shop and buy another t-shirt or leave because the one I had on was not allowed.

I was wearing a shirt with a cuss word on it. I took it off, turned it inside out and put it back on and walked off. Sometimes I think the need to censor gets a little out of hand.

Back