1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Size comparison between Pro Hiking Buddy and Pro Kephart

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Mr. Tettnanger, May 27, 2020.

1. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger

Jul 14, 2012
    I am trying to find a new EDC fixed blade. I really liked the Pro Hiking Buddy that I had and sold. I want another one!

But......I keep thinking about the Pro Kephart as well. Does anybody have both and could give me a side by side comparison?

Thank you!

2. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    The Kephart is one of my knives in the 'full sized bushcrafting' category. The blade is 4" long and the handle is 4.5" long. There are over a dozen models with this size factor. This size is for the full gamut of outdoors chores.

The Hiking Buddy defined the next size down from the start. The blade is 3" and the handle 4" long. A bit easier to carry but still big enough to do most jobs.

The idea would be to carry a trio with a chopper, full sized knife and a smaller knife. Then, you're covered.

3. Random Dan

Random Dan Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 21, 2012
    I can take a picture of both pro models when I get home tomorrow.

Mr. Tettnanger likes this.
  4. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger

Jul 14, 2012

I appreciate that, thank you!

5. Warrior108

Warrior108 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Hey Andy @Fiddleback ... here's your next project :)

FF 3.jpg

6. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Mr. Tettnanger and varga49 like this.
  7. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Oct 19, 2005
  8. Warrior108

Apr 24, 2012
    And then there's the Bob-ified version. hahahaha

Bobs FF 3.jpg

9. Bmurray

Feb 9, 2012
    your not right.

RobbieB and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  10. Warrior108

Apr 24, 2012
    Love ya Bob :D

Bmurray and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  11. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    IMG_0373.JPG IMG_0374.JPG IMG_0375.JPG

Not the best pics, here you go.

rpdur, Mr. Tettnanger and Warrior108 like this.
  12. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    IMG_0378.JPG IMG_0380.JPG

Tried to hold the Kephart in one hand while taking the pic with the other. Not an easy task.

13. Bmurray

Feb 9, 2012
    Love you to Jerry with all of my man-love heart.

14. Kenneth F Huls

Kenneth F Huls Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Andy, bring on some more *Bishops* and I am in!!!
    Meantime, I must sadly “make do” with my beloved Granfors Bruks Outdoor Axe, my subtly amazing Seax Tasker and/or Emperor, and my transcendentally amazing Patch. I simply do not know if I am able to carry on. . . .

15. Fiddleback

Oct 19, 2005
    You need a Fiddleback Forge machete. Ideal third piece!

Kenneth F Huls likes this.
  16. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger

Jul 14, 2012
  17. Kenneth F Huls

Kenneth F Huls Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Oh, yes, yes I do!
    A most excellent suggestion, Andy! I would, indeed, love to get into one of those bad boys!

18. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    I like the compactness of the Prod HB, but the Kephart just feels right in the hand and the blade is a good size but not to big, close to four inches, a little less for cutting area.

19. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    Nesmuk Trio:a machete, Kephart, and some kind of folder like an Opinel or SA. Or mix in the hatchet or saw. The thing that I like is that a trio, whatever tools you decide are best for you, can cover a multitude of tasks without being overly heavy or bulky, unless you are just hiking or backpacking some trails for a short outing. Depending on on your type of camping too. Just my two cents.

I would hear from people who have used both the Kephart and HB. Was it a good idea to use one over the other or if they were glad to have both while out.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  20. oregondux85

oregondux85

Mar 10, 2012
    Andy, do you have any older users that you may want to part with?