skeletonized handles

anyone know if all of the handles on the GSO knives are skeletonized, the ones that I have seen look very thin on the edge of the lasered holes, I prefer solid handles, has anyone seen a broke skeletonized handle, thanks for any imput.

anyone know if all of the handles on the GSO knives are skeletonized, the ones that I have seen look very thin on the edge of the lasered holes, I prefer solid handles, has anyone seen a broke skeletonized handle, thanks for any imput.

Only the NeckerII, 3.5, and 4.1 have skeletonized tang, but the stock material is quite thick. If you're worried about breaking them, try not to use them heavier than this:

[video=youtube_share;Wo6vRFgOAAA]http://youtu.be/Wo6vRFgOAAA[/video]

Still worried? GSO-5, 5.1, 6, 7/7, 10 are all solid-tang, as is the SK-4 and so should be any other of the SK-line they might make. :thumbup:

SURVIVE! EDC-4 STRENGTH TEST CPM-3V: http://youtu.be/Wo6vRFgOAAA

Take a look at this link. Guy, the founder/owner/official sharpener of every single SURVIVE! knife does pull-ups and then rapels using a 4.1 as an anchor. Look around the S!K youtube channel for other torture tests.

As far as I know all handles are skeletonized, but I've never heard of or seen one breaking. I even googled "survive! gso knife failure" and found nothing.

What do you plan on using the knife for? I think in any normal situation you'd be 100% fine as long as you're using the knife in a way a knife is meant to be used.

EDIT: Chiral beat me to a reply and the youtube video. Maybe I don't know what skeletonized means. Don't all the larger models have cut outs in the handle?

Last edited:
I think only the GSO 3.5 is skeletonized. The 4.1 used to be as well a few batches ago but now that is full tang too. The blades only have holes drilled in them for the screws to attach the handles. I know this because Ive taken handles off my 4.1 and 5.1. Here's a picture of my two 5.1's, one in DLC, without handles.

I would have to think the 7/7 is the same full tang for strength on such a big knife.

Chiral and Poromenos, thanks for showing me 2 things: I do know what skeletonized means and that the larger S!K's are indeed full tang.

Does anyone else have pics or first hand experience with a GSO with the scales removed? I'm specifically curious about new model 4.1's and 5's.

Chiral and Poromenos, thanks for showing me 2 things: I do know what skeletonized means and that the larger S!K's are indeed full tang.

Does anyone else have pics or first hand experience with a GSO with the scales removed? I'm specifically curious about new model 4.1's and 5's.

Here's my 4.1 which is skeletonized. You can also see its a factory second by that little tiny divot on the upper right hand of the handle. Guy has said that these will be full tang in the next batches. Also, thanks for giving me a reason to play with my knives during my morning cup of joe :D

Edit: I ordered and got this one in December.

Also, thanks for giving me a reason to play with my knives during my morning cup of joe :D

Come on, do you really need an excuse? =)

I had not heard that part about the future 4.1's not being skeletonized. I really like this idea... although it will make it harder to attach my carabiner to the bare tang for mountain climbing...

Really looking forward to getting a 7/7. I am selling some of my other knives to get one when they are available. thanks for the info guy's !!!

The GSO-7/7 is a full tang so you won't have to worry about that. We have only ever had one warranty return and it was because of a skeletonized handle breakage. It was a GSO-4.1 in the Bohler M-390 steel, returned to us about a year and a half ago. When we got it back it looked like the steel had a pocket of one compound in the spot that failed, rather than being an even distribution of the various components of the steel. We haven't heard of any other failures.

Back