Skermish, a fight to close one handed

Ii have a Benchmade Skermish, green handles, frame lock of course, very difficult to thumb closed if opened quickly. I don't normally inertia snap them open, but this one needs BOTH HANDS and a long thumbnail to close after a normal speed deployment. The black bladed one I bought to match is perfection. What lubrication do you use? Will a CLP DAMAGE any internals?

Thanks

Are you talking about the frame lock being hard to unlock.If that's the problem, use a pencil to shade in the blade lock interface surface.

A well known problem knife, send it to me and I'll give ya $100. ;) Nothing to damage with CLP. Graphite on the lock face is a good solution and will keep the TI and steel from galling.

Your knife will break in eventually. The tip of a carbide pencil on the lock face will help as mentioned, but I'm not sure adding extra lube will make more of a difference over adjusting the pivot bolt. My old 750 Pinnacle took the longest time to smooth out, but once done remains one of my old-school favorites. Patience might be the key with your Skirmish.

Your knife will break in eventually. The tip of a carbide pencil on the lock face will help as mentioned, but I'm not sure adding extra lube will make more of a difference over adjusting the pivot bolt. My old 750 Pinnacle took the longest time to smooth out, but once done remains one of my old-school favorites. Patience might be the key with your Skirmish.

I've had her for over 4 years. Patience has been duly rendered. As previously noted, I've used everything on hand but Cajun Goose Monkey Alligator Sweat LOL. At magnified inspection and with calipers, the blade is a bit THICKER than its happy black counterpart, which snaps, slides and glides faster than a 11 year old preteen at a Disney sponsored "blonde clone musical extravaganza. My Benchmades are collectors, and ALL OF THEM ARE flawless, but this one, and you would know this would be the one I would love to carry should I feel like strutting a bit. It's pocket clip is also set a bit loose and not as grabby as the coated black version.

I once considered buying 4 of them and switching the handles on two, so as to have the ones that make everybody go...Oooooh....so where the hell did you get THAT, or those. Thankfully I did not attempt to do that, but the green handled version was exposed to quite a bit of junk during a two week outing, rinsed out with Gunscrubber and lubed up with BREAKFREE CLP. No change.

On a trip to SMKW, I came upon a lube in a drop needle bottle which made my my SOG Tomcat 3.0 laser fast, no exaggeration. Alas I cannot remember which one it was. Such is life....

I've had her for over 4 years. Patience has been duly rendered. As previously noted, I've used everything on hand but Cajun Goose Monkey Alligator Sweat LOL. At magnified inspection and with calipers, the blade is a bit THICKER than its happy black counterpart, which snaps, slides and glides faster than a 11 year old preteen at a Disney sponsored "blonde clone musical extravaganza. My Benchmades are collectors, and ALL OF THEM ARE flawless, but this one, and you would know this would be the one I would love to carry should I feel like strutting a bit. It's pocket clip is also set a bit loose and not as grabby as the coated black version.

I once considered buying 4 of them and switching the handles on two, so as to have the ones that make everybody go...Oooooh....so where the hell did you get THAT, or those. Thankfully I did not attempt to do that, but the green handled version was exposed to quite a bit of junk during a two week outing, rinsed out with Gunscrubber and lubed up with BREAKFREE CLP. No change.

On a trip to SMKW, I came upon a lube in a drop needle bottle which made my my SOG Tomcat 3.0 laser fast, no exaggeration. Alas I cannot remember which one it was. Such is life....

OK, question is; have you cleaned the knife, IE removed the blade and polished the washers? Another thought: one knife I owned acted much smoother after I put the thing in a hot soak in a plastic tub for awhile and then used pipe cleaners to swab out the accumulated gunk. I had no idea it was that dirty. Lastly, if you can part with it, you could always mail it in to Benchmade for warranty service. I've had good success with them and you can't beat the $5 cost plus shipping.

Had the same thing with a Pro Tech. NO lube on the lock face!!! Clean, dry and scribble with a pencil......smooth as snot!!
Joe

Back