Skrama:

Here is mine. Finally got around to wrapping the Skrama...

That looks great, nice work!

My brother and I used his Skrama for a few days recently. He went a little wild taking out honeysuckle bushes :eek: Lots of hacking, chopping, and delimbing. Also split/batoned a fair amount of firewood.

I've rippled the primary grind on two other blades doing the same chop/delimb work on branches, but so far both Skramas have held up well with no visible damage. The cutting and chopping performance continue to be excellent.

That looks great, nice work!

My brother and I used his Skrama for a few days recently. He went a little wild taking out honeysuckle bushes :eek: Lots of hacking, chopping, and delimbing. Also split/batoned a fair amount of firewood.

I've rippled the primary grind on two other blades doing the same chop/delimb work on branches, but so far both Skramas have held up well with no visible damage. The cutting and chopping performance continue to be excellent.

Thanks! I'm still yet to use mine but playing with it, it feels great in the hand. I may need to do one more pass with the wrap to give a bit more girth, but so far so good

This tool seems to have everyone impressed so I am excited to use it here soon. May have to help out my apartment complex with some brush clean up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think everyone knows what a fan I am. :cheerful:
If you have a Skrama you could use it for putting up the Christmas tree; if you don't then get one for Christmas for taking the tree down after Christmas. Humbug, and all that :( :D

There are a few more Y tube vids on it.

Bushcraft USA is doing a pass around of the Skrama for those interested.
http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threa...-review-by-wonderful-members-of-bcusa.182443/

I'm just pleased others are finding out about them. It might not be pretty but they sure do work for what they are designed for. Have fun, be safe.

Am I right that the blade is about 9 and a third inches long?

Zieg

I love my skrama, amazing knife, very good price. i must admit it, when i saw this knife for the first time i had a felling of an ugly knife. But suddenly i have to change my mind because when i saw it on the field it was absolutely amazing. The skrama can easily win in the chopping against much more expensive knife. Now i love also the look of the skrama, the viking skramasax o sax was a wonderful and historical blade used in northern Europe centuries ago.

Here is mine

DSC_0060.jpg
[/IMG]

For all those Skrama users out there, a Very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

I'm really pleased that 2016 saw the Skrama get some traction as its a highly able tool, innovative even, at respectful price. Think a lot of you agree, hope so...

I've kept this threat in view, and its been fun following here and on the tube others who have given it a go. Interesting too to see them fly off the shelf and have to be restocked; I'm sure they will keep them going. The rest of the range are pretty useful too.
Next year I think I'll have to stop and leave it to its own merit. Thanks to all for making it interesting.
All the best, have fun, be safe, out from me... probably...

Happy new year to you too, and everyone else. Thanks for bringing the Skrama to our attention! It is a very useful addition to the bushwhacking toolbox! And a good deal too. I also picked up the 4" blade - also a very affordable and good quality tool. It is in my winter chore kit (pocket carry) - sturdy blade and hard rubber handle (feels like Busse's Res-C) with no exposed metal tang. I would not have even known about these if you hadn't posted your Skrama review, so thank you. For anyone who has hesitated on a Skrama - I highly recommend it for its utility, effectiveness and affordability. Sorry, no pics - I don't carry a camera around with me, but GJ has posted plenty :)

Coincidence? I saw these blades by the end of last year, and the skrama was out of stock. Forgot about them till today, when I went to check they were back in stock. Ordered a skrama and a jaakari to keep it company, I think I will like both!

Well Skramas have been back in stock for less than a week. I knew there had been a backlog from before Christmas but from looking at the site orders have gone nuts.
I think there was 300 restock and half have gone. Down to 7 with sheaths!
jaakaris are doing well and they aren't half bad, bought a couple myself. However, loads of us already have fantastic knives at this size. Nice for spares and shares though, or just another for the cutting armoury.

You had better all like them or my names going to be dirt otherwise.

Wow.

lol. Already thinking of ordering a peltonen too, seeing as how scarce these knives are.

I have a couple of the originals as I liked them being nice and pointy. I found them a little soft which isn't actually a bad thing as they are not going to fail, but does mean the edge needs more maintenance.
The new version may well be actually better all round and a better steel???? I'm tempted to get one to compare.
Compact on the belt go for the plastic sheath, for all round utility then the leather sheath is excellent but adds a tad more weight. They are at the right price, they are not a $100 plus knife, but then they are great for what they were designed for, good knife.
IMGP4435.jpg

Only found two reports on the Stainless Skrama. One good, one poor. I think the truth is somewhere in between.

I think the fine edge just can't hold up to the kind of punishment the carbon can. The steel is the same or similar to Swiss Army Knives. Very stainless, plenty tough, but edge holding not that robust. Just means for frequent use they will take on damage more and so need far more maintenance. These are big knives taking colossal forces at full whack. Edge rolling will be faster and big damage will go deeper, so even more metal will need removing. Plenty good for green wood and brush work, but not quite as happy on hard woods and heavy duty chopping. For the edge to hold up better just can't be kept quite so keen, more metal required behind the actual edge as in just think the steel behind an axe edge.
Not that an expensive knife so using a belt sander to remove big damage isn't going to be a big deal, and then sharpen normally. What you have to do on big abused machete's anyway.

So for salt, or boat, or very wet conditions and occasional use then I would think absolutely fine. If I had a boat I'd have one, just never going to have to do the same work as the one in the truck. For everyday work then the carbon would be better as you would be working the blade faster than any corrosion concerns. True for most carbon blades, and they can be kept keener.

The old Martindale Golock is soft and shrugs off corrosion, but keeping a keen edge is not easy and never lasted long. Forgot what steel they are. They still bludgeoned their way through jungle and forest. Think we have something a little superior in the Skrama.
So my impression from what I have read is the stainless is fine but not as good as the carbon in general use. It is superior for longer storage in adverse water/salt environments.

Last edited:
This is my paracord handle carbon skrama with a turkshead. Balance point is in the blade.The sheath is a cheap 18 inch modded machete sheath, which fits the plastic liner well. I made a sharpener pocket and also a slot for a smaller knife. I've been using it a lot in the yard and it's great, like a Japanese nata.

skrama-knife-with-turks-head-and-paracord-whip

https://tarheeltwang.tumblr.com

Last edited:
Thanks for that, I might have to get one to compare to the Sisspuukkos and my older M95's. For the fun of it. I like that they are a bit pointier. Out of stock of leather sheaths which I would go for this time around.

Talking of out of stock, Skramas are out again. Thats near on 300 in less than a month. I know they are catching on but....! Wish some people would put some feedback on here. Makes things more interesting. A picture or two would be nice.

Handle wrap; that one way to do it.

Back