Sledge Hammers!

Just hung this guy on a 28” piece of hickory. It turned out pretty good! Anyone know anything about Stanley sledges? I’m guessing they were outsourced to some other company? Thanks guys.

Pennsylvania RR specs look very similar to my CMStP&P tool gauge. Very rounded cutting edge.

Track%20chisels%2077270-C.jpg

1.jpg

Care of the tool is described here by a major maker of railroad tools.

http://cedarriverforge.com/Photo-index/Tools/Railroad tools/Hubbard-complete.pdf

Page from the pdf above:
Hubbard1.jpg

And I've posted this before but some of the new folks may not have seen it.
The%20Use%20and%20Abuse%20of%20the%20Track%20Chisel.jpg

The%20Use%20and%20Abuse%20of%20the%20Track%20Chisel-2.jpg

Hey Peg, what is the angle on the adze gauge? About 30 degrees or so?

Thank you sir. I have an old “Hack Devil” RR Adze I got when I first stubbled upon this obsession. I probably need to tweek that bevel a little. Not even sure what it is at right now.

That bigger tool is Coopers adze, but awfully long haft.
Smaller tool...Obviously hammer of some kind, but dunno a specific name or use.

Yes I knew what the coopers adze was (the last one that I had with original handle was 11" long, this one is 13"). The other one I'm not sure of. I have seen similar hammers listed as rock/mountain climbing tools. One end for chipping loose stone, the other for placing pitons?

Possibly a piton hammer. Seems its face a bit long-ish & mostly those hammers would be a rectangular eye to hold reinforcing straps. But some used cylindrical reinforcements & some none.
A touchmark might give a slim clue, but thats about it.

Last edited:
JB this maybe an obvious/not allowed question, I’m not sure, but where do you sell these items at? I have noticed you saying some items are sold and what have you.

JB this maybe an obvious/not allowed question,
there's a list of memberships with perks underneath, nearly all paid memberships can trade. free members cant.

in my experience, a paid member can initiate/organize a trade, this includes trades with a free member. a free member can't initiate anything pretaining to trades, this includes appraisals.

as for where he sells it, theres a very "coincidental" table cloth in the background of a few ebay listings.

This is a super nice and unusually sized old Atha crosspein. 5lb head on an 18" handle. The metal wedge you ask? I had a nice hardwood wedge driven deep and properly seated but it broke off 1-2mm below the eye. I am convinced that it remained perfectly good but hated the aesthetic so I smashed the metal wedge in to cover it. It looks better and is even tighter I assume.

IMG_20180105_203541 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180105_203628 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180105_203632 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180105_203605 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180105_203620 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180105_203653 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr

Back