Sledge Hammers!

Who can tell me about this railroad tool? It looks like a spike puller but I can't quite picture how it would be used. It's on a very nice $10 Lowe's handle.

My guess is that the front of the head slips even under the spike parallel to the ground allowing the handle to be held off at a 45 degree angle so as to be free of the partner striking the back of the head with a hammer, driving the head in and the spike up.

IMG_20180130_073941 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180130_074013 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180130_074021 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180130_074051 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180130_074105 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180130_074039 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr

I don't know, but it's still cool.
I didn't know Woodings Verona made railroad tools, no reason to think they didn't but I've just never seen anything RR related made by them.

It seems kinda wide angled to get under a railroad spike but I suppose with a sledge driving it it could get the job done.

Thanks. The skills learned from hanging axes translate and they tend to be much easier and faster to do. And if there is one thing that I find more of than axes/hatchets, it's hammers.

They definitely are easier and faster.
I love axes though I don't have as much need or use for them, and one thing I love about hanging a hammer is that I can about put it to use right away.

Not a sledge hammer but a mallet a made at work with some industrial belt sanders it came out looking pretty neat. I used some old shipping blocks, not sure what kind of wood but it seems quite hard. I will use it for carving.
Tlf2hDs.jpg

Last edited:
Back