Sledge Hammers!

Here's an interesting one, found today at an antique store. No markings on it, about 4" long, handle is 10".

lPMvSZt.jpg
lmu3L1o.jpg
9OCBAXI.jpg
u58j9zd.jpg

Odd duck for sure. It's handy to have both straight pein and cross pein hammers but I personally wouldn't want them on the same hammer. In typical forging you strike first with the pein then follow with the flat side of the hammer on the high spots. I wouldn't want to stop and switch hammers in the middle of a heat.

Strike while the iron is hot!

Odd duck for sure. It's handy to have both straight pein and cross pein hammers but I personally wouldn't want them on the same hammer. In typical forging you strike first with the pein then follow with the flat side of the hammer on the high spots. I wouldn't want to stop and switch hammers in the middle of a heat.

Strike while the iron is hot!

Is it possibly a saw maker’s hammer of some sort?

That's a good question...as I look at most straight and cross peins thinking how could this work on one of my blades...too heavy, to small, not suitable, could work if nothing else...just the first few thoughts whenever I see one...:rolleyes:

I hear that, but it probably depends on how big the saw is and whether you are tuning it or making it:

Saw filer set

Just guessing at his hammer.

Classy old hammers! :thumbsup:

I agree, just perfect for their job.
When I made it thru to the stamps...it was as exciting as when I find a crown and hammer or Victory under Plumb or uncover an old Maine maker.
I have searched a little, nothing solid yet but these may be from late 19th to early 20th century

What can you share about this beauty example? A filers hammer or saw makers maybe?
Are the hammer faces flat/flush or rounded?
Really cool to see
Square_peg is probably correct in that Travbud’s hammer is for blacksmithing.

Miller, that is one that was in my grandfather’s tools.
He was a saw doctor by trade and blacksmith by necessity as well from what I understand. The faces are both dressed with slight rounding. It's 3lbs 7oz with the handle.

I should probably sort through his stuff at some point and ask some questions.

Square_peg is probably correct in that Travbud’s hammer is for blacksmithing.

Miller, that is one that was in my grandfather’s tools.
He was a saw doctor by trade and blacksmith by necessity as well from what I understand. The faces are both dressed with slight rounding. It's 3lbs 7oz with the handle.

I should probably sort through his stuff at some point and ask some questions.

Oh yes you should...just to know for yourself ;)
I remember you sharing that a little about your family...and might I say, in my humble opinion, that is celebrity, rock star status in my book.
Thanks and btw...I love the H press stamp you grabbed the other day!:cool:

...and I fully agree that squarepeg hit it out of the park being a Blacksmiths tool, i liked your sawyers angle...jives with my POV...and reminded me of my "Dayconnie" problems :D:D

Oh yes you should...just to know for yourself ;)
I remember you sharing that a little about your family...and might I say, in my humble opinion, that is celebrity, rock star status in my book.
Thanks and btw...I love the H press stamp you grabbed the other day!:cool:

...and I fully agree that squarepeg hit it out of the park being a Blacksmiths tool, i liked your sawyers angle...jives with my POV...and reminded me of my "Dayconnie" problems :D:D

Celebrity lol. He was an interesting character. I should go through it exactly for the reasons you say.
My Dad has passed on to me some more of his tools as he's found them. He is also under the impression that he made that hammer.

Oh and "Dayconnie" is a quite a good expression btw.

Last edited:
Celebrity lol. He was an interesting character. I should go through it exactly for the reasons you say.
My Dad has passed on to me some more of his tools as he's found them. He is also under the impression that he made that hammer.

Oh and "Dayconnie" is a quite a good expression btw.

Not to take credit, I feel I heard (read) the Dayconnie expression from you ;):D

Your grandfather surely had to be a character to work and sustain a living as a filer and or maker, repair & Sawyer of the kind. I remember you may have shared that it was he and his or one of his brothers, they worked together perhaps.
Celebrity yes...I doubt there isnt a member here that wouldnt keep the coffee and or bourbon flowing to hear every story, tale, and exaggerated fishing story he had to tell...twice:thumbsup::cool:;)

Thank you for the small window into your family and deep connection to the industry and to possibly your home state there:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

All I can do is keep swinging and filing, cutting and collecting, as time here in new England gets moving faster and faster...

Well guys, I got curious and decided to pop the head off the handle and get a weight. My initial guess was way off, the head actually weighs in at just shy of 11oz.

Would such a lightweight hammer be of much use to a blacksmith? It seems like it would be more suited for "adjusting" instead of really moving metal.

Another thought, maybe it was intended for sheet metal/tin work?

I would say that this was a "saw doctor" hammer..... this type of hammer is used, with the saw on the anvil, to straighten, remove dents and bumps, and tension a crosscut saw.

Thank you trailsawyer.
The straight and cross pein now reminds me of a few things Warren Miller suggests how and when to use each the straight and the cross pein when doing just that. To straighten, tension, bumps, and the like.

Thanks again AgentH.
What a beautiful hammer and history that it brings.

Not to take credit, I feel I heard (read) the Dayconnie expression from you ;):D

Your grandfather surely had to be a character to work and sustain a living as a filer and or maker, repair & Sawyer of the kind. I remember you may have shared that it was he and his or one of his brothers, they worked together perhaps.
Celebrity yes...I doubt there isnt a member here that wouldnt keep the coffee and or bourbon flowing to hear every story, tale, and exaggerated fishing story he had to tell...twice:thumbsup::cool:;)

Thank you for the small window into your family and deep connection to the industry and to possibly your home state there:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

All I can do is keep swinging and filing, cutting and collecting, as time here in new England gets moving faster and faster...

I'll go through those tools, take some pictures, and share what I know. I haven't previously simply because I wasn't sure how they would be received.

My initial guess was way off, the head actually weighs in at just shy of 11oz.

Would such a lightweight hammer be of much use to a blacksmith? It seems like it would be more suited for "adjusting" instead of really moving metal.

Another thought, maybe it was intended for sheet metal/tin work?

Yes, you're right. That weight wouldn't be for blacksmithing. More likely for repousse or other sheet metal work.

Just a little guy at 10 3/4oz. I've taken it apart and am filing off the mushrooming but is there anything to leaving the faces as they are?
The area under the head was bad on the outside but the eye seems solid. My dad says the handle is for a guy missing a thumb.
3737-A123-3-CB6-4382-B881-B6340-E3-DEF40.jpg

1-E48439-C-7856-41-AA-B34-F-17-C06-FAD6-B88.jpg

9-D38-ADB1-06-D9-4-BC0-B4-BE-041-D1341-FB28.jpg

Back